1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another F1 driver axed

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, Aug 3, 2009.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03082009/58/renault-sack-angry-piquet.html

Remember when they used to do driver changes in the off-season........

Now, its not really the case for Piquet, but in this "gotta have it now" mentality and time, they expect immediate results. If that were the case years ago, Cheever, Alonso, Gilles Villeneuve, Berger and a whole lot of others would have never seen the glory or extended F1 careers that they had.

2. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Piquet should have been axed at the end of last season IMO. He's had nothing but bad luck and bad results.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The French media (obviously well-connected with Renault) have been talking about this all season. I think the only reason he was still there was that Grosjean has not yet entirely lived up to expectations in GP2. He still makes lots of mistakes.

4. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I know its no surprise, but I guess if you are a newer racer, dont get too many cards printed up with your team name and "driver" on it unless you get to the podium or score points with regularity relatively quick in your first year. Edit- I know this is not Piquet's first year also......

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I think the "extended silly season" stuff gets pushed forward when something major happens like BMW pulling out. It causes a chain reaction where other teams want to make their intentions known ASAP so newly released drivers know that a seat is available.

6. tito

tito Well-Known Member

+1 on this

7. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

I heard Ben Spies is taking his seat.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Its about time, that guy has sucked...

he has NEVER out qualified his teammate.

9. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

^ his team mate is a bit of a factor in that though. If it weren't for his dad, I don't think Jr would have lasted more then one season.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I dunno, even Barichello out Q'd Shumacher SOMETIMES... :p

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Good point, but we all know Piquet Jr. is no Barrichello.

12. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

It's rumored nelson might be buying sauber with brazilian backing so Jr can still have a ride.

13. paul

paul just fast enough

Anybody hear about Schumacher taking Masa's place???

14. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

:crackup:

If you follow F1 at all, I'm pretty sure you've heard about it by now. ;)