1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next AMA/DMG bombshell: Mladin packs it in

Discussion in 'General' started by Zakath, Jul 30, 2009.

1. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

:up:

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The promoter is trying to save his event and build it for next year. He went forward, having paid DMG around a quarter of a Million bucks for the right to host the event. I can't fault him or the track, why should they have fixed something that was only suggested and they maybe didn't understand the importance of the change being made? In a lot of cases, they're car guys. The problems and blame fall squarely on DMG. They didn't insist on track changes in order for the promoter to host the event.

The buck stops with DMG and Roger on safety. If they don't insist on the changes before the contract is signed and the event announced, it's their fault.

Boycotting an event as a fan doesn't hurt DMG in the short term. Why would they ultimately care if you come, they already have their money from the promoter? The ones left eating a shit sandwich is the promoters.

I doubt DMG will have as many events as they did this year.

3. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

Just heard its raining in Topeka...now lets see who will ride.

4. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

The weekend forecast looks okay so hopefully it won't be an issue once the track dries from last night's passing storm.

5. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

My gut says there is no posturing here and there are still significant concerns about the track.

Keeping my fingers crossed that those who choose to race stay safe.

6. meowculpa

meowculpa Well-Known Member

my personal opinion is that mat Mladin should be likened to the Great Giacomo Agostini.
    It was the latter's stand that prevented racing in the IOM as a part of the premier class world championship. noteworthy that the future generation has always [bar none] applauded this change wholeheartedly.
    that others race on it as a standalone event is "ballsy"! but forcing riders and teams to such danger is ridiculous.

7. random hero

random hero Banned

My buddy just showed up... said there wasn't 50 cars in the parking lot, and the track definatly had a couple spots of concern. He did say it's great being there w/a handful of people... I'll be joining him tomorrow morning (f'n work)

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Doesn't sound like a professional event with nobody there. I'm pretty sure my last club race last weekend had way more spectators.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Moto-GT is only 2 hours?

That's not an endurance race....that's a sprint with a single refueling stop.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

11. silent_R1

silent_R1 Well-Known Member

we will be going out there tomorrow..the other half worked last night.

12. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

Get back with us after you hit something solid..

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'd wager Pietri has indeed seen and likely ridden some gnarly tracks. This does not bode well.

Laverty on the other hand, is probably wondering what all the fuss is about.:p

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  14. RogerE

RogerE Member

Expressing opinions is fine, irrespective of whether they are completely correct or off the wall. However, when you speak with "authority" on subjects such as the sanction fee paid by the promoter or what is in our contract or what the understandings were about what needed to be done or even about what was done and when, facts are helpful in moving things in the right direction.

1st fact: Sanction fees are between us and the promoter and they include the largest purse payouts ever offered in AMA Pro Road Racing.

2nd fact: This promoter did EVERYTHING that he promised us and the safety committee and then even did the stuff promised for 2010 BEFORE we arrived.

3rd fact: After the first practice session when riders asked that a greater amount of the wall be removed, he was on the phone arranging the heavy equipment and personnel required.

This is how it is supposed to work. We (DMG) find a reponsible party prepared to take the financial risk at a track that can be made acceptable. We found one and then brought in a three rider committee to tell us all what needed to be done. The work was done as requested and then when riders took to the track at speed, additional work was requested and done.

What better example than this for all promoters, both in the series, and those who will follow?

Let's remember that for this sport to grow, we must add markets to the schedule and we will do so, while never adding any facility that is lower in standards than those already on the schedule, while simultaneously seeking ways to fund the improvements necessary to all tracks.

If you want to hate DMG, do so for real reasons, not emotional bs that doesn't hold water when examined in the light of day.

I am not so offended myself, as I have become used to this, but this promoter/track owner does not deserve this at all. He deserves to be commended and held up as an example of what we want to see.

15. onepointone

onepointone Well-Known Member

Props to the owner for getting on the phone and getting things done that moment, but why did it wait till the weekend came and two of the top riders packed it up said they werent racing for these things to happen?

In my opinion these things should of happened weeks ago, but who am I?

Also, don't you have more important things to do on a Saturday afternoon of a race weekend than be on the wera bbs attempting to set people straight? :D

16. joec

joec brace yourself

Really! Get in a loader and start filling that ditch!!!:Poke::D

17. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The wall at Daytona in `79 work for you?

OBTW, Mr Sunshine hire you to takke on his light work?

18. caferace

caferace No.

If I take Roger's 2nd point above at face value, I can logically extrapolate that the changes that were requested by the safety committee and completed by the promoter weren't enough to satisfy some other riders safety concerns on arrival and initial practice.

-jim

19. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

Well, if "The Machine" [Mladin] sees something wrong where he cannot hang it out like old, I would clean up my act and react. 'The Machine' could win for a few more years, IMO.

Ruin his record is not his fault, again, IMO.

Make your employees happy you want smooth running races is all I am saying.

I bounced off Ontario's wall and bounced off 2 cars on the highway so far. I like the action, but that's me. Too bad you have to play it safe on your end or you'd have less problems I show up.

Yuck-Yuck-Yo-Ho-Hoooooooo I should have said nothing. Tooo Late!

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I guess I don't get it. What are you refering to with "take on his light work"?