1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next AMA/DMG bombshell: Mladin packs it in

Discussion in 'General' started by Zakath, Jul 30, 2009.

1. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

I respect MM and Hacking for standing up and having the balls to do what they believe in. More people do need to get behind what they say, and stand up to the man when they feel they are being f'd in one way or another, whether its rules or saftey or whatever they don't like. If all they did was complain and continue to bend over and take it, we all know nothing would happen...

Its all well and find for them, but...one thing you have to consider, is what they personally or as a team are walking away from, vs. what some of the other smaller teams/riders have to face. Neither one of those guys payed their own way out there to the track, and are living paycheck to paycheck trying to float this dream. Now that they are gone, it is a very rare chance for some of the privateers and smaller time guys to step in there and snag a paycheck to help put gas in the truck and get to the next round at VIR. Asking them to "walk away" after driving out there and setting up is asking A LOT of them in a different kind of way. They don't have as much reputation and limelight to give up, but that paycheck they'd be walking away from and sponsor relationships probably mean a whole hell of a lot more to them...

2. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: yanno, if i didnt know better, sounds like some of you guys support a *gasp* union! :eek:

3. Strick

Strick Good to be king

"A good business proposition"? Seems there could be pretty good one. I would like to see how this relates to other venues that people say it is not cost effective to change.

http://cyclenews.com/articles/road-racing/2009/07/28/new-jersey-motorsports-park-listens-to-riders

Maybe tracks/promoters don't make changes because the status quo is stuck to so easily by the people who should be leading the way for riders safety.

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I like the way Wittman thinks.

5. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Although I was never an MM fan, I've always respected him for his riding, accomplishments, etc. However, I now respect him for doing what he believes in and may have become his newest fan.

No disrespect for the others, as each has a different situation in being there (ie. privateer vs. factory ride, pay-to-play vs. paid-to-play, etc.). I only hope they are not tied to doing something they feel is utterly dangerous because they 'have to'.

As it's been said on this board many, many times, racing is dangerous and it is up to the individual to decide if a particular situation/track is over the line when it comes to safety. He felt strongly enough to walk from this one, although I'm sure it wasn't easy knowig his sponsors and fans may be let down.

Kudos to MM. If the others believe (and only if they believe) the track is unsafe, hopefully pulling out won't crush them too bad with their sponsors, fans, etc. But if they feel the situation is dangerous (and only if they feel it's dangerous for the spinners on here), walking away prior to an event might be better than not afterwards.

I'm not a 'union guy' and never was (although I was a teamster many years ago which hurt more than it helped). But hearing racers referenced as "temporary fixtures" by someone making money from those he is referring to, reeks of pure disrespect and even lack of consideration for the people themselves.

Good on ya MM.

Keith Reed
    Empty Pockets Racing

6. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

Please refrain from giving Roger any ideas - they are in Kansas in the middle of the summer. It's not like tornadoes are rare!

7. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

That was a good article. From that it would seem that there would be a great business case. My comments were only based on my perception from reading here that tracks make way more money off the car guys. It that were the case then it would seem that based on the cost benefit of the changes that tracks could just go car only.

If motorcycles do represent as much of the market as the article suggests, then I would think it would make great sense to make all the changes needed. If we want real change though, its going to have to go way beyond just one or two riders not riding though. I'm not sure if the carrot or the stick is better with the tracks to get them to make the needed changes.

8. Strick

Strick Good to be king

That is kinda the point Mladin is trying to make but some seem to think that by standing up for safety they are killing the sport.

9. Gron4

Gron4 I'm in your house

If all teams pulled out, what would the cost be to the teams?

10. Strick

Strick Good to be king

The cost of fuel to drive home? It is not like they are making money while there. ;)

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The chances of all the teams pulling out is just slightly greater than roger offering me a job as the PR person for DMG.

12. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

I have become a Mat Mladin fan this year because of his actions this year. The man has balls and he is using them for the right reasons. Good on Jamie as well. Hopefully more of the veterans and even some younger riders pull out of this weekend and really cement the point.

13. RR558

RR558 Well-Known Member

there is no way she could have children, damn !

14. Goodwood

Goodwood Well-Known Member

The racers wanted to race there

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I agree it shouldn't come down to this but sometimes it does and if you are the one with the most at risk you need to not throw the option out of the possibilities.

16. parapuke

parapuke Well-Known Member

Mladin to retire after this season, per press release on RRW website. Thanks for making my home track safer Mat!

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Sportbike Track Time went to HPT once. We were promised a plethora of safety changes (This was when the track was freshly paved and reconfigured). When we arrived there was ZERO done. The owner and manager said "the drag races ran late and everyone was too tired to do the work last night." Nice huh?

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Did you guys cancel the day and not pay them a dime?

20. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

No we started about 2-1/2 to 3 hours late ran late but not a full day...They said that they would make it up to us on another date later but that's a whole other story.....