1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop GP-A (US spec) tire psi?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by lilwill43, Jul 7, 2009.

1. lilwill43

lilwill43 Member

What you guys recommend for these tires? Temp going to be in the high 90's to 100 degrees. I have tires warmers too.

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

www.dunlopracing.com/fitment go higher than recommended for big willow. speak with dunlop- they're often at the track. or you could call the # on the dunlopracing website and speak with sportbike tire service- they will help you and have the most knowledge.

3. lilwill43

lilwill43 Member

thanks man i totally forgot about just calling. :eek: Just got off the phone and they recommended 31/21 cold.

And if you using tire warmers set at 170 for a 1/2 before the first lap and then no need after that.

4. Dr. GoFast

^^ are you sure they recommended that low for the GP-A? (rear) ? that sounds like an ntech 211/slick pressure.... IIRC, the GP-A rear was running somewhere near 25 cold last i checked.

5. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

I was told 34 front off the warmers if it is really warm out 31 if it is cold. 24 rear off the warmers if it is warm and 21 if it is cooler

6. lilwill43

lilwill43 Member

yup temp are going to be in the high 90's. I would say it's going to be pretty warm. Going to bring some fans just in case. :up:

7. Dr. GoFast

^^ ok, very good to know! i'm still scrounging 211's instead of GP-A's, haven't tried the GP-A's yet, but will probably be forced into the switch as the 211's become more and more rare so i'd like to keep up to date on them.

8. lilwill43

lilwill43 Member

u probably won't turn back once you try them. I used to be a Michelin guy, but once I tried the GP-A's i'm all Dunlop. Very fast heat up. I also figure if they good enough for AMA then they good enough for me :up:

9. Dr. GoFast

^^ yea, well the AMA guys don't really like the GP-A's that much. most people who've tried both the 211's (what i use now and what i've been using for awhile now) and the GP-A's would agree that the 211's are superior- specifically the rear. I don't like the fact that the GP-A rear is shorter and wider than the 211 rear (we're talking 190/55 here). i hear that the fronts are basically the same, but the rear is only 75-80% grip compared with the 211, plus i'm assuming because it's shorter and wider that the GP-A will give more sluggish steering. Anyway, I'm still curious to try them and see how they work for ME.

10. Kontrolled Kaos

Kontrolled Kaos Well-Known Member

I talked to Gabe at Sport Bike Tire Services last week and he told me 25psi hot for the rear GP-A. Heat 165 for 30-45min prior to first run, wrap tires immediately between sessions and only turn heat on for 10 min prior to goin back out there after. I'm running GP-A soft rear and 209 UK front (first time for both).

11. maxpat82

maxpat82 Well-Known Member

I'ved run 2set of 211 and tried the 209 (gp-a) on a 2 day track.

211 FTW!!!

pressure is the same in 209 and 211 (31-21 cold, 32-23 hot)

12. Dr. GoFast

^^ what are the differences you felt between the two? i've been on 211's for awhile now, but soon i'll need to switch to GP-A's.... :rolleyes: did you make any geometry changes b/c the GP-A is a bit shorter?

13. maxpat82

no change on suspension or geometry.

gpa goes really wel..but I'ved not feel the grip as much as the 211...which have a wicked grip way until the end of his life.

I'm an ex pirelli rider (ride it for track day past 4 year) and I feel that the gp-a feel about the same.
    you can make them slide pretty much easyli and stil remain totally controllable.

211 basicly don't slide until there's no rubber left

I bought the gpa for track day only, and after trying them..I would not race on them.

211 just last way more then the 209

I mostly talk about the rear cause the front on the 211 is almost undestructible and grip like hell and the gpa is about the same

I have another set of gpa for my next track day in august but will conntinue to race on 211(4 race w-e left)

ps.: I ride a 05 gsxr600.

14. Dr. GoFast

^^ yes, the 211's are really good about gripping all the way down to the cords for sure and they don't seem to be too affected by heat cycles either... what did you think about the handling difference between the two sets of tires?

15. maxpat82

maybe a bit harder to turn in (gpa are really wider then the 211 : 190 rear each) but hardly noticeable on the track I was compare to my regular racing track.

the track I try them didn't have the flipflop like the track I used to race...And it wasn't the best weather , rain, sunshine, drying track, dry track, lot of humidity.

Even though the weather: I went through the rear :| (5 session on fully dry track)
    didn't really try them on two separe w-e, but during the 2 days I used them: they were not affected by the heat cycle ( first day: used warmer once since always moist to drying track so they didn't really heat up a lot that day.)

211 are totally not affected by heat cycle ;)