1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Separated shoulder recovery time

Discussion in 'General' started by SVandST, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

I sustained a type II or III shoulder separation this weekend. Any ideas as to how long the recovery time typically is before I can race again? :confused:

2. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I race on mine about six weeks after it happened (third degree separation). It still hurt at that point (more getting in and out of the leathers than riding) but more of the time was getting the bike back together.

3. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Sorry to hear Jon. What happened? I saw the red beast out early in the day, but not after that ..

4. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

this has happened to me (third degree). it took about 6-8 weeks to be able to ride fairly aggressively again with a couple motrin there was very little pain. i would say it took 1 full year for the shoulder to get back to 100% no pain and 100% range of motion. it will always feel a tad more loose than it was before and it is more likely to be separated again once it has been. i'm a 25 year old smoker btw- this happened when i was 24.

5. Parkerson

Parkerson Kabahm

1 1/2 weeks with a third degree shoulder for me. It hurt like hell getting in and out of the leathers, but it didn't hurt that bad racing just when I would shift from left to right I could feel it move around and the leathers were real tight over it. It looks FUGLY now though :Puke:

6. breaux

breaux Well-Known Member

Third degree for me. Bounced off the windshield of a Delta 88 some years back. Same experience as others. Hurt for a good 6 weeks or so. But not enough to stop me from doing things. Did a mountain bike race at about 12 weeks and it wasn't too bad. I'd say I was 90% after a few months. But it took over a year for 100% range of motion. Still can't sleep on that side very long.

Can predict weather with it surprisingly well too....:D

7. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

At your advanced age, J-bone...

4-6 years.

8. SVandST

Practice group 1 session 2. I just went through turn 9 and was braking for 10. A kid who apparently was determined to win practice decided to use the few feet of track to my left to pass me instead of the 20 feet of open track to my right. Hit my left clipon as he went by and down I went. :down:

9. SVandST

I used to like you.

Who am I kidding? I never liked you.

:)

10. SR621

SR621 Well-Known Member

The first seperation/dislocation is the worst. My rotator cuff was torn and after the initial injury each dislocation after that took less time to feel OK again. OK being relative, after you tear it up the first time it never feels good till you have it fixed.

11. Empty Pockets Racing

Empty Pockets Racing where's my collar bone?

Mr. Cowles:

Recovery time is about 3 weeks, 4 days. :D

Dr. Keith

12. Mongrel

Mongrel Hell Hath No Fury

Type III separation in morning practice, ended up racing that day. Won two races and took a 2nd in the third. Hurt like hell getting in and out of the leathers, but not too much pain while racing (adrenaline is a great thing). I also raced a month later and was doing push ups and running 3 miles within 2 months. So it depends on how much pain you want to put up with, but you can race with it. Course if you go down again it could be real bad. My doctor was livid after he found out what I had done, but it was the only year I had the opportunity run the full season and I was in a position to take a class win and the number 2 plate that year. I would not do it again.

13. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

If you need a second opinion, I'll say 3 weeks, 3 days. You're going to need the Friday practice to loosen up!
    :up:

14. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I did mine (Type-III A/C separation) in October. Was back in the gym one week later. Raced again in January.

The worst pain was from the internal bleeding - about four days later to a week later. I didn't ice mine, and bled a lot - blue down at my belt line from draining/falling blood - and was REALLY sore for a while.

Now (eight months later) it pops once in a while as the bursa rolls over the collarbone end, but nothing painful. Most of the strength is back.

15. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

How the hell are we all getting hurt?

Hope it heals-up quick:up: What are you racing this year, Jon?

16. SVandST

Well, I guess that settles it. 24 days it is! :D

17. SVandST

I WAS racing an 05 R6. But I don't have the budget to fix the bike so my sprint racing season is over.

The rest of the year I'll just be a hired gun (bb gun?) for Empty Pockets Racing lightweight endurance team. :beer:

18. r6girl

r6girl Active Member

Going into surgery for recurrent shoulder dislocation in a few weeks. A lot of bone damage has been done over the years since I have thrown my shoulder out about 50 times already. Last time I threw it out was Sunday in practice at Beaver when I crashed but I wasn't able to put it back in myself. Took a lot of muscle relaxers and a workout by the ER doctor.

All I can say is to see an orthopedic surgeon asap to see if there are any excercises or what not to help the problem and to strengthen the area up.

19. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Sweet! I love it when a plan comes together!

20. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

Jon,

I was pitted on The other side of Aaron this past weekend. Sorry to hear about your crash. I spoke with Kyle about it as I know he spoke with you too. I know he was very sorry as he was already committed and was carrying quit a bit of speed.

Not sure if a shoulder seperation is the same as a dislocation because they did not give my any number like type 2 or 3.

I did mine on my dirtbike and had to ride back about a mile to get to the truck. Takes about 6 weeks till its 80%. Try as hard as possible to not move it. Took me 2 years till I could put my arm on my arm rest in my truck. Stopped popping out a few years back which is nice. But if it does it goes back in fairly easy and a few advil fix and pain.

Take Glucosamine contoiting or whatever it is called and eat healthy. Good Luck and stay safe.