Newbie Tire wear question, got pics, please help.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Freddy, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

This is my 1st time running DOT race rubber (PRC/PR3) I used them for the 1st time last weekend at Nelson Ledges for morning practice and a couple races in the afternoon. I've never used these before and I thought I might post a couple questions about tire wear.

I attached a few pictures to help, there is a ~ 1" section on the right side of the rear tire about 1" in that looks like maybe cold tearing?? Also on the right side the leading edge of the tread groove is turned up a bit.
    Just curious if this was normal.
    I ran tire warmers, I'm on an R6, some suspension work, fast to mid I pack rider (only ran 1:20 at Nelson for my 1st time this past weekend, I know, I'm slow). My buddy has the same PR3 rear tire on his 636 and he had similar tire wear marks. We were running 22psi cold.

I'm going to try to get another TD weekend at Putnam out of these??!!

Attached Files:

2. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

That one inch section that could be tearing... Maybe not cold tearing in my opinion. (which is waaaaay of the mark most of the time) :) but it could be a contributing factor. That is where you're getting on the gas hard and I'd say it's a suspension thing. I had similar wear with Power Race Mediums and working with the suspension fixed it.

3. LongDogRacing

LongDogRacing Well-Known Member

the PR3's aren't going to last very long anyway. only supposed to last a sprint or two.

give the PR5 or the PRE's a shot, or the new power one C rear, if its longevity you're looking for...

or, like Mr. Slice recommended, ask your suspension guy for some advice...

4. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

There is nothing you can do with that curl, being it wears in that direction.

Are not the different burn centers, different compounds the way they make tires these days?

Hard center for extra wear. Soft sides for grip?
    Therefore, the different blends or curling of the gumball is take a magnifier to the compounds and look at it's structure is my guess.

5. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I just switched from Pilot Powers. I was hoping to at least get one more day out of the rear.

6. ccs56

ccs56 Member

Ask your suspension guy about increasing shock rebond.

7. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

How is your throttle control as well?
    Are you grabbing a bunch on exit or rolling it on smoothly?

8. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

I'll talk to my suspension guy today.

I'm pretty easy on the throttle.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

that wear is very common for the pr3. I probably put 100 of these on my bikes over the past 3 seasons. The very edge looks good as your not on the gas hard at full lean (can be a good thing and why we are talking about tire wear not high sides:)) . Riders like Jensen would have the wear n tear start WAY on the edge where yours and mine look smooth.
    The raised lip is very common for that tire too. The "lip" is the reminder of where the original rubber level was. I never liked the large rain sipe that was positioned right where mortal riders like us get on the gas hard. This is potentially why the tire would heat up a bit faster.. less rubber more rain sipe still at that point of lean where you have opened the gas 100% and spinning. Notice on the power1 the rainsipes are much smaller and spread out a bit more. There is only 5% of the entire tire that is rain sipe on the new series .
    Some changes might clean up the tire but the lip on the sipe is where rubber has worn away. Honestly the tire looks pretty darn good! As others mentioned, that is not an all day tire. It is the softest sprint tire michelin had in the PR series.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  10. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

Melk-Man,
    Thank you very much. That was great feedback. I'm thinking I might go back to my Pilot Powers for Track days and hang on to my PR3's for the few races I do.

11. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

You know the tires on a GS style BMW? Drag the center stand on it with the tiny gap on a tire patch.

Now, you should not be in fear of that rain gap if you can throw a knobby type tire around a corner... Mortal? No, not more till you lean more trying it, being all in your head is not the tire.

12. Sucram

Sucram Well-Known Member

You get about 10 laps aout of "reading tyres" and after that, it becomes useless. Like mentioned the rubber peels back and doesnt wear so your better off knowing what the bike is doing and explaining it to your suspension guy for adjustments.

That tear is from how your picking up the bike and driving...

13. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

Looks like a very slight rebound issue, otherwise it just looks like an abrasive track.

14. baileyrock

baileyrock Well-Known Member

I tought it look pretty good, try a PR5 or PRE next time. Power One if you can afford it.

15. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

So I did two races and practice at Nelson with these with warmers. I'm slow. I'm wondering if I can run these for one Putnam track day if I flip the rear, or am I pushing my luck?

16. JohnnyTheboy

JohnnyTheboy Well-Known Member

looks good to me

17. Freddy

Freddy Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't know how to read when these tires are done (I guess I'll feel it).