Red Flag "Etiquette"

Discussion in 'General' started by Tdub, May 23, 2009.

1. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Following an incident at Barber this last Friday, I witnessed some actions by several riders (too many) that I really think needs to be brought to someone's attention.
    After a full course red flag was shown, it was deemed that the ambulance needed to roll before the track had been cleared. At a medium speed with lights flashing, the ambulance circulated the track to get to the back straight. I repeatedly saw the ambulance have to swerve around riders refusing to make way. And the absolute worst scenario was several riders actually PASSING the ambulance!
    I just could not believe the absolute disregard that too many riders not only showed how they observe the red flag, but the absolute fuggin' IDIOTS that rode like the ambulance was in their way!!!
    I sure hope this is addressed in some way!
    JMO

2. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Did you talk to an official at the track about this?

3. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

At a trackday here at TWS a similar situation occured where a rider went down full course red and ambulance was staged on the infield and entered the track. Instead of slowing down a group just decided to stop on the track and watch. I was taking Ty Howards class and my group was coming around and almost nailed the riders stopped. When we got into the pits Ty went and found the group and corrected it as well as let us know that under no circumstances are we to stop on the track due to safety of all riders on the track.

4. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

At every school, track day, race track and race that I have ever been to, they cover "what to do in the event of a red flag".

Why some people don't do what they are instructed to do, I don't know.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  5. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

i bet he did. :up:

6. joec

joec brace yourself

in canada, you actually stop on the track.

7. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I think that it is a good re-enforcer for everyone. My question however, was this a track day run by a different organization or WERA? Not making a point, just want to get the facts correct.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it were run by WERA I wouldn't have a problem with riders passing the ambulance. SLowing too much can cause even more problems. The ambulances are instructed to stay to one side or another of the track, they do not have the right of way on a motorcycle race course.

I want the riders to maintain a decent safe speed into the pits and not have the ambulance need to pass them. The ambulance has mirrors, the bikes do not. They shouldn't be going slow enough something that slow has to pass them.

9. russ#299

russ#299 Well-Known Member

what's wrong with passing the ambulance? the thing is usually on the edge of the track doing 20 mph anyway. never heard of anyone getting in trouble passing it. i would think riding behind it would cause more danger.

10. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

yep
    one of the dumbest things Ive ever seen especially on a blistering hot day

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I guess it was just me then. Just didn't seem safe to me when the ambulance crew is trying to get to a wreck, I would think the last thing they should have to deal with is riders interfering with their progress. I would think the ambulance would have the right of way...guess not.

12. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Trackdays and races are different. At trackdays an ambulance rarely goes out on track until all riders are clear of the track (may be different at some tracks) but at a race the ambulance can go out on track with the race still proceeding. The only time I have passed an ambulance was when I was getting my race license. Most riders chocked the brakes, me and one of the instructors passed the ambulance as instructed.

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

friday was a unique situation and I would bet what to do when an ambulance enters a live track was not covered. that is not a common occurrence.

14. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I agree...I was just trying to bring attention to what I thought were indescretions by some of the riders.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: I have always been to believe that passing the ambulance in a safe and controlled manner was proper proceedure.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

We were always instructed to pass the ambulance if it were out there. Do it safely. One thing that can be an issue is the fact that those of us that have driven for years tend to instinctively think that passing an ambulance is bad. Some people tend to fall back to instincts when their adrenaline is pumping or there attention is focused elsewhere(ie, hot racetrack). Those things can be tough for new guys.

Never did I want to stop on a hot track. :wow:

17. joec

joec brace yourself

Penguin school taught us to always pass the ambo. I remember Jeff Wood and Peter Kates asking, "What should you do when the ambulance is on the track? You PASS it! That thing is slow as dirt!"

18. JBaucom

JBaucom Well-Known Member

Probably not the same incident, but I saw WAY too many riders slowing to under 50mph after the red flag flew. If the red flag flies, people need to remember that someone may need help NOW, and them still being on the track may halt progress.

19. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I never saw it as a problem. We are stopped for maybe 3-4 minutes at the most then the corner worker usually sends us back to the pits. Weird that it's different from Canada to the US.

We do red flag flies, put your hand up to let the other riders know you are going to slow down, stop at the next corner station, after the apex of the corner, tight to the inside.

20. the blob

the blob Who am I?

I always pass the ambulance, so does everyone else over here.

I did see a guy crash into an ambulance once, It was a free track day sponsored by Bridgstone, in one of the street rider sessions. An ambulance was out picking someone up on a sweeper. A guy on a BMW comes around the sweeper, sees the ambulance, target fixates and low sides right into it. At least the ambulance was on hand to see that he was OK.