Bazzaz Issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by D-Rail750, May 13, 2009.

1. D-Rail750

D-Rail750 Well-Known Member

I have been having a few different problems with my Bazzaz ZFi-TC unit so far this year.

Preface -

I had my motor supersported this winter and decided to go with the Bazzaz over the EmPro strictly based on cost. After winters worth of work on the bike I took it down to Thunderhill and rode without any issues in the beginning of April. I came back to Seattle for a trackday and pretty much touched nothing on the bike since my Thunderhill weekend. Started the bike up to let it get warm for the first session of the day, and 2 minutes later the bike dies just sitting there idling. After half a day of trying to figure out what was wrong someone suggested taking out the coil harness and plugging the stock coil harness back in while still leaving all the other Bazzaz plugs still connected. Boom, started right up. :confused

I sent it off to Bazzaz, and they tested it and found nothing wrong. They still replaced the coil harness and the Bazzaz box just to be safe.

Current Issue - I got the unit back from Bazzaz chucked it in the bike, and it started up like nothing ever happened. Ran a trackday or two on it again with no issues. Only recently during my race weekend did problems start to show up again. The bike is being really picky about when it wants to start. When it has been sitting for a while (ie cold start) she starts right up, no issues at all. However when I try to restart after the bike has some heat in it (180ish degrees) it doesn't want to start up right away, and as it gets hotter it gets harder and harder to get it to start. At the same time thought it has started right up when it was around 225 degrees. So it's being pretty picky and chosey as to when she wants to start.

Let me know if you guys have any insight. It may not even be the Bazzaz.. Fuel pump? Throttle Bodies? Battery?

2. dale-505

dale-505 Ride Safe!

Do you have any other electronics connected to the RPM wire? Or is it possible the RPM wire may somehow be loose?

I had a similar experience that I thought was caused by the QS-4. Turned out it was my speedohealer that had a loost RPM connection, and thus the bike would die at times.

3. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Good problem detail.

Ohmmeter should tell.

Test the Bazzaz box...

then:

- Loose connections or badly crimped ones?
    - Dielectric grease applied?
    - Check spark plug gap and torque.

4. D-Rail750

You know, I thought I check the connections pretty well since I have heard that they have a tendency to not be so great. I plan on checking them again though, and using some sort of glue to kept them from moving and eliminate them out of the problem equations.

As for Dielectric grease, I'm not really sure what that is. Noob, I know.

As for spark plug gap and torque, that is a very good suggestion. The time that I mentioned in my preface of the sitiuation I tore the thing down at the track to check the plugs and see if they were getting enough or any fuel. Maybe I just didnt torque them down well enough and they are vibrating loose. That would explain way it gets worse as time goes on.

I'll check it out tonight, and post up.

Keep the suggestions coming.

5. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

you should disclose the make/model so that people with that same make/model or knowledge about it can possibly chime in on a particularity.

6. D-Rail750

Ha good call!

2006 GSXR 750

Lame that you can't edit your own Original Post!