1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should i lube the pistons in my brake calipers?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cpettit, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Outstanding, anyone that might ever rebuild a caliper or master cyl NEEDS this goop!

2. Elbee

Elbee Well-Known Member

ROOKIE Q:
    So, do you lube the pistons? Can the grease make it onto the pad/rotor?
    Or do you have to pull the piston apart (I thought that only shops were to do this) in order to lube them.
    I guess that I just not sure where does this lube go - could someone enlighten me?

3. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

During certain un-natural sexual acts lube used to...oh wait, wrong forum...
    The packets are for use during a caliper rebuild when the pistons and caliper bores are spotless clean and all new o-rings and dust seals are being installed, the o-ring seal would be covered with the lube along with a thin layer in the bore.
    All calipers have similar (if not the same) lube applied during manufacure and it stays where it belongs, never tempted by the alure of the rotors...
    I would not hesistate to use a smidgen of the lube on the cleaned and dried pistons (partially extended for cleaning) before pushing them back in the calipers, same as a ultra thin layer of synthetic grease on the exposed section of a fork tube will lower friction enough to be felt after washing (and drying) the forks.

4. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Even though it's an old thread, I do appreciate it as I am about to put in new pads and have had excessive drag, like won't even spin a full revolution with a lot of force. I have some Simple Green and will apply brake fluid around the pistons and keep my fingers crossed.

5. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

6. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

a bump back from the dead.. ggod thread though..;)

7. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

It is a little different than the lube in the crash kits.
    The grease is a little more transparent, and a little thicker.

8. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Is the grease in the m/c crash kit ok to use on the seals though?

9. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

I can only suggest that the grease be used for the seals that they are supplied with.

10. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

Ok lazy to create a new thread: is it Ok to re-use the same bolts if splitting the calipers? I've read somewhere they're one time use, sounded odd. In my case it's brembo billet caliper. Thanks!

11. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

what to do if the brake pistons are stuck on a 27 year old bike and has never been rebuilt?

in the process of rebuilding the entire brake system on an RZ350 that has basically never been touched, original brake lines/fluid/pads/discs.

tried the compressed air, tried grabbing at them with pliers and pulling (i have new pistons waiting to be installed), they only budge 1-2mm.

i'm going to try reinstalling them on the bike w/o pads and lever them out with fluid.

12. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

You should be able to remove the pistons without splitting the caliper.
    The O ring that seals the 1/2s is not available separately.

13. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Air is fine for pistons that are NOT stuck if you know what you are doing.
    (if you don't know what you are doing, it is a good way to break a finger)

In your case, Hydraulic pressure is the safest way to remove the pistons.
    I suggest the M/C as the hydraulic pump.