1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing a V-Twin vs I-4

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Mar 16, 2009.

1. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Wow what?

2. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

i have a R6 and RSV1000 and prefer the RSV. the big twin power is more linear without that hit that the R6 has. and i'm a bigger guy and "fit" better on the RSV. plus my mind has issues with the R6 engine spinning at 12-14k rpm to get what it's got. a good 600 or 750 does give the RSV fits at some tracks and it's usually a good go between the bikes.

3. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Don't you have an SV to be building Ben?:D

4. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

:D

Im working on it right now. I took apart the entire front end and re did it the right way. Then had to drill out all 10 rotor bolts, so I replaced them with new ones (with ant seize and a torque wrench!!!!), cleaned and lubed all front end bolts and put everything back together. So the front end is done and torqued minus the final bleed on the brakes. Just got done media blasting some surfaces, engine cases, and internals. And im currently opening up the exhaust ports and removing these pesky valve guides! Things are coming along well, this thing is going to be fast!

5. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

As others have said, the Twins don't have quite the on/off type power delivery of the I-4.

This is my first race season and I am running a Buell XB12R Firebolt. The Buell has a relatively flat torque curve. IMO this makes for better throttle management for ham fisted throttle jockeys such as myself. It has just the right amount of engine braking and is very flickable in the corners. The single disk front brake works well with the Buell race pads. They crash well (not a lot of expensive parts broken). It is also very easy to maintain.

At my first race weekend I was able to hang with my class. The only thing holding the bike back was the nut attached to the handlebars! LOL

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  6. SAEID

SAEID PROSPECT

I just picked up a 05 RC51 after riding a 02 R6 for three wonderful years. My first teack day will be April 17th with the RC. I'll let you know what the differences are after that.

I will tell you that just from riding the RC around town, the RC has power "everywhere". Also, the turns are late. Only way I can explain it would be taking turns in way later than most I-4's where it's almost like you can take them at 90degrees.

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

An SV? I thought you were all R1'd up these days. COming back for some LWT slumming are you? :)

8. (diet)DrThunder

For the guy thinking about a twin to race, if you have the money to buy and maintain it, go for the 848 for sure...nothing like it. You will need deep pockets to race one though. Contrary to popular belief, it's not that Duc's aren't reliable, far from it. But parts are expensive, and if you ever have a big motor issue, it's BIG-G-G money to fix a blownuptuated Duc superbike motor (as opposed to the a/c ss motor...not talking about built motors).

If you want something fun and cheap, find a Mille. They're bulletproof, easier to set up than an RC51, and still pretty cool IMO.

9. Thanks for the input Dave. Have you managed to wipe my drool off of your SDR from the STT track days at Nashville last year? :D

My girlfriend (petite brown haired girl with big boobies :) on the R6) said you helped her alot that day.

Anyway, yeah...I am going to go with an 848. I wanted Hastings' bike, but he already has a buyer. I tried to get in touch with him for 3 days and when he finally responded, he said he already had a potential buyer. :down:

I am working on Eric Wood's backup bike now. :clap:

10. D Cantrell

D Cantrell Well-Known Member

I love My 848. It runs well against the inline fours, and is much less sensative to gearing. It did take a bit to get it handling properly, but it is much more fun to ride than my GSXR.

11. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

What about Boxer Twins?

12. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

and a 1060 kit makes 'em more funner...:up:

13. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

so did you turd out the kawi is that why you are getting a twin or is it that you are just wanting something different?

14. A little of both.

The Kawi just needs a left clipon, lever and rearset. I have all of that stuff in the trailer, just not physically able to fix it yet. My left arm is in a sling and my right arm is in a brace (i somehow fractured my right wrist also :confused:).

I have been wanting a V-Twin for a while, just hadn't made up my mind on which one till i started researching the 848.

BTW - thanks again for the help at Jennings.

15. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

for me i've gotten used to the engine braking on the vtwin, i prefer it over riding an inline. i like all kinds of bikes but i really like the vtwin, i can only wonder how a v4 will be to ride, but looking forward to getting one

16. (diet)DrThunder

When I raced the TLR, I used to hear about the engine braking all the time..."how can you deal with all that engine braking" or "all that extra engine braking must be nice." Having raced both, I always felt that the TLR had considerably less engine braking. For a short time I raced an 03 R6 and the TLR at the same time, and if I had to pick one I'd rather have had a slipper clutch on it would be the R6 for sure.

Does anyone else who'd raced both agree, or am I just nuts?