1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern Vintage...where to get started

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by SpeedJunkees, Mar 5, 2009.

1. SpeedJunkees

SpeedJunkees Active Member

I am looking into the possibility of upgrading my addiction into modern vintage racing. I am currently close to VIR (Virginia International Raceway) and don't know the first thing about the vintage series. I am schedule for 3 track days so far this year and suspect I will enjoy myself imensly. Someone from Cornerspeed mentioned you can use a 99 or older bike this year. Where are the rule, class breakdowns, and who are the sanctioning bodies like WERA etc. Thanks! :up:

2. charles

charles The Transporter

Go right onto the WERA website and click on 'rulebook' where, believe it or not, you will find the rules for vintage, modern and fossilized versions. Don't break ranks and actually read it, though, not even Mongo reads it.

Now that I mention it, most of the riders are fossils, too, like Mark 'The Bike' Morrow, Joe 'Crazy Joe' Pomeroy, Jim "Mr.Triples" Hinshaw, and Buff 'Little Honda' Harsh. I'm one of the younger dudes, by the way, like yourself.:D

3. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I have a Vintage V7MW (600cc class) bike for sale that is also legal in Formula2 against SV650's.

If your looking go here, completion of bike by end of this month.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=206765

I was wanting to sell to get a heavyweight V7 bike or move back to SV's

4. SpeedJunkees

Ok...So I saw the "rules" on Vintage. TMI wow. Is WERA who most guys race with or are there other bodies that also run Modern Vintage. I hear there was an over 40 class but I still have 2 years to go for that one. OK So WERA...what class would I be in with a 99 R1 with upgraded suspension, flatside carbs and a few other bolt on mods. Is that the Formula Class?

5. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

Dude Charles
    A l' heure du papy-boom,la jeunesse éternelle se fait de plus en plus présente.Do you have an elixir?The pretty women?
    Ernesto

6. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Your '99 R1 isn't eligible for any of WERA's vintage classes. You may enter A SB & SS as well as Formula 1.

On a different note, you're looking to do something that puts both you and others in danger. I won't try to speak for others, but it is really troubling to see a newbie write that reading/understanding the rules is too much information :Poke:

7. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I started racing in 2001 and have enjoyed it tremendously. For reference, I turn 43 later this month. Starting out at your age is no problem and you should do it while you still can.

Most vintage classes ebb and flow over the years regarding attendance. The 350GP class was almost dead than all of a sudden a big influx of Honda CB350's came out and it is now one of the better attended classes. V7MW also is a growth class. V6lw is pretty decent too. Some classes like Formula 500 used to have very good grids but last year it struggled for some reason. Likewise, V5 attendance was really bad too. Your best bet is go to mylaps.com and study the results. Check out what bikes are winning and then make a decision on what you want to go buy and just get out there.

The newest vintage class is V7MW and V7HW. Basically, they are for pre-1996 model year bikes except for specific exclusions in the rulebook. The V7MW class is probably the easiest, most cost effective roadracing there is when you factor in bike development. An F3 with simply suspension, exhaust, and jetting done can be a front running bike.

Even many modern classes have had bad attendance. I thought about getting a Duc 800 for DSS and DSB but those classes have had small grids too.

BTW, be careful with that Charles guy. I heard he was Gates right hand man and has the power to tap any phone line, cell signal, and bank account. ;)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  8. regnat

regnat Well-Known Member

What?Sir Charles and Bernard Madoff is the same person?

9. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Just get a bike you always loved or wanted to race.......In 35 plus years of racing and playing with bikes I seen big classes go small the next year and oppisite...so just get out and have fun on your bike that you want to race and .......well you know....

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Ernesto:

I usually don't talk with Cuban commies, but i like you, even if you live in France, because you have savoir faire.

Ohhhh...we got plenty of really pretty women here, usually chasing after older vintage racer dudes, but- nothing in the world compares to lovely French ladies waiting breathlessly in and around your famous Chateau. You must send us pics very soon...

Tu ami,

Charles the Transporter

11. charles

charles The Transporter

since when did anyone in the Navy read the rules? :Poke:

12. charles

charles The Transporter

I have never done any of those nefarious deeds ever, unless it was for a good reason not explained to me. :D

13. charles

charles The Transporter

Bernie is ever so slow to catch on...he neded a rest anyway.

14. SpeedJunkees

Hey Navy...Man, I knew you would catch grief from someone with that line...Nevertheless, I agree with you. So don't missunderstand me. What we all do is inherently dangerous. I am all for the rules and all the safety equipment I can fit onto myself. But the WERA rule book on motorcycle qualifications can be like reading GREEK for someone who is new. I am just trying to figure out where my bike fits into the playing field. Just want to have fun and yes...play it as safe as I can be. Obviously there are rules to be followed for your safety and mine as well.

15. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Your modded R1 is eligible for:

1. Formula 1
    2. A Superbike
    3. It's not A Superstock eligible with the flatslides,but considering that it's still down on power compared to newer bikes,no one will care if you enter A Superstock.WERA will take your money,it's all green :up:

If you have your heart set on joining us in Vintage,get an F3 and come play,especially if you like to talk shit :D

16. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I would focus on the V7 rules..........you can find a competative bike for around $3000 that is easy to find. Think about a Honda F2, F3....Kawi ZX6r.......Yamaha FZR/YZF 600......or for a little more money a Ducati 748/916

Feel like racing a big bike try a Honda CBR 900RR or a Kawi 7/9.

The easiest thing is race what you already have, but I think you can sell your R1 and get a set up race bike for the money.

17. SpeedJunkees

Hmmm...so F3 huh. I heard a lot of good things about the F3's for a track bike. I should be looking 96 or older from what I am reading correct? You guys have been great! I love the way you "kick it all around" "trash talk" on the threats. What a "family" you guys are here! Anynow...I tend to be very competative when I get involved with anything I do, but I also recognize the safety concerns with racing this type of bike, or any for that matter. So I just want to get plugged in with like minded folks who have a life...you know, families, careers, the will to live past tomorrow. I want to buypass the Meatgrinder class and get involved where I can have fun and still walk home with all my body parts intact. Thanks for all the feedback...this has been great!
    Any of you gonna be a Cornerspeed on the 23rd at VIR?

18. pmk6v

pmk6v Member

Sent you a PM so check it out and if your interested in a V7HW class racer let me know. Thanks, Pete

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I got into it as a 38 year old guy myself running the old Formula RD class. What you said about people willing to help you is absolutley correct. As long as I live I will never forget the first time I raced at Putnam Park....we got to the crappy Dollar Inn Friday evening (my 2 brothers were my "pit crew"). We were just hanging around the room with the door open having a few brews when we hear this commotion a couple of rooms down. We walked over to the room and that was when I first met Dick Gruhn, in my opinion the godfather of RD racing. There he was with his TZ monster he rode back in the day in 100 pieces all over the room getting it ready for the next day. He kind of took me under his wings and is the only reason that I had my small amount of success (Dick, if you read this I am Kelly from Kentucky). I haven't raced in many years due to a paranoid wife but the memories will last forever. Thanks to all of the WERA gang for that.

20. charles

charles The Transporter

Lyn Garland has to be the Godfather of RD Racing, since he raced them as soon as they were built, in fact, raced the Yam models leading up to the RD, perhaps even Stanley Steamers for all I know. :D

Dick Gruhn is the "King of Assisted Unanticipated Off-Course Dirt Riding".:D