1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA New rider school? can't find places/dates

Discussion in 'General' started by Steve2008, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Steve2008

Steve2008 Well-Known Member

hey all...been reading the rule book, and i can find where it says that in place of attending a riders school you can attend the WERA new rider couse, but i can't find any dates/places to find out about signing up for it or making my schedule work for attending one of those weekends...

any help would be greatly appreciated....

and yes, i do plan on taking a school in the future....not going to just "wing it" out there...just looking to start getting my feet wet...

2. Steve2008

oops, found the dates and stuff....but what about regristration and transponder and all that? how do i list that stuff if i don't have an assigned number yet? pick a number that's not taken for my class and go with it? are transponders rentable while i wait to get one?

3. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

You don't need a number for your first weekend. Sign up at the track. You'll rent your transponder the morning you register. Save your receipts and the renting goes towards the purchase of a new one.

4. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Here is a question, what if your bike number is taken, but by somebody who hasn't been active since 2005?

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Call or email the office. They can give you the answer. If the rider hasn't been active in 4 years you can more than likely have it, but the office will give you the definitive answer.

6. d.wood623

d.wood623 Active Member

Where did you find the dates for the school?

7. Steve2008

on wera page, click schedule, then click any of the events and it'll open up the weekend schedule, and there it lists the new rider school as one of the practice events and what times and all.....

just wasnt' sure about showing up with a bike with no numbers or plates and how that worked for riding that weekend and passing tech

also, any easier way to find available numbers other than just browsing thru the racers bike number listing and finding numbers that aren't being used in your region/class?

guessing i'm going to get something like RTFB.....lol.....

thanks guys...

8. d.wood623

d.wood623 Active Member

Thanks, found it

9. Six3SixGal

I think you guys are confused. The practice sessions are the times that those groups are on track.

For the race school, you need to be there early (6 or 7am). You need to go through registration, sign up for the school and tech in.

Around 8 you meet up with the rest of the students and go to the classroom. You have your classroom session, get your shirt, then when its time for pracitce you go out on track.
    You then go back into the classroom and go over a few things, then back on track.
    Then you take your written test. The last race of the day is your mock race. You need to make it through that race without crashing to get your license.

You then are a provisional novice. You need to complete 2 race weekends without crashing to become a "Novice."

The race school is held at any event that has "rs" after it on the YEARLY schedule.

Hope that helps you guys out!

10. Steve2008

so, to do the school, you just show up with a bike that'll pass tech and register as early as possiable for the school?

no way to pre register then?

am i correct in assuming that number plates are not required for the school people?

if the school is saturday, does that mean you can ride the normal schedule sunday or are you only able to do the school and mock race saturday?

what are the fees for entering and doing the school? looking thru the rule book but haven't found anything yet...

i'm thinking of doing the school on the 7th at JenningsGP......just trying to get everything straight so i know what to expect if i am able to do this day.....

11. Six3SixGal

Not sure what it costs this year - You can race sunday as long as you dont crash sat.
    Not sure if there is a way to prereg, but when I did it people just said to show up .. and I did.. there were about 8 people total in my class at VIR in March 08.

If you want to race Sunday, you'll need a bike that will pass tech, so just make sure your bike has number plates and will pass tech. You just don't have to have an assigned number (because you wont have one yet)

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

To find which races have a race school look at the schedule and look for the "rs" at the end of the line item.

example:

4/25-26 Nashville Superspeedway, Nashville, TN-rs<<

If it has the "rs" there will be a "race school"

Have you done any trackdays? The WERA school is more setup for folks who have has some track experience. Theres not a lot of riding instruction its mostly about rules, flags, procedures and stuff.

13. roadracer127

roadracer127 Cruise Missile

I have only done a few track days a while ago do you suggest that I hit them a few times more before the school to get back in the swing of things?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah, if you want to race, go race.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Word!:beer:

16. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

not too long ago, there wasn't trackdays like now. Many riders (me included) first time on track was race school, second time was practice for a race. :up: