Shinko 003 tires

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by CycleWorx Inc., Feb 18, 2009.

1. CycleWorx Inc.

CycleWorx Inc. Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever used these. They seem awful cheap but I will not be fast on my first few trackdays(probably most of my trackdays). Just looking for some feedback. Thanks

2. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

absolute crap!!!!!i would not recommend these to my worst enemies. even if you are not that fast, these will make you slower. buy a decent street/track tire, like the dunlop qualifyer, or bridgestone bt002 or something similar.

3. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

http://forums.13x.com/search.php?searchid=1588955

click above link. that should keep you busy for a minute.

4. CycleWorx Inc.

based on the price that is what I figured but it never hurts to ask. I have been trying to decide on the qualifier or the conti race attack or the conti street attack(maybe it is the road attack, I cannot remember which one is directly below the race).

5. ScottieDucati

ScottieDucati Hopeless Never-was.

Something like the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III will give you TONS of longevity, and can be run on the track and on the street. Similar to a Michelin Pilot Power 2ct.... or, if it's track only, you're better off with a good set of take offs than Shinkos. DO NOT GO NEAR THEM for track!!!!

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

oh, c'mon guys, the new Michelin is patterned after the Shinko (just look at the tread pattern), so the Shinko MUST be a good race tire!! :D

7. tonni1000

tonni1000 Well-Known Member

Mr Clark your a smart ass for sure :up:

8. juni5

juni5 Well-Known Member

^haha..That's exactly what I thought when I passed by the michelin truck in the pits. Didn't know about the new Michelins yet and saw a race bike pitted next to the truck and was like what the F* is that guy really running shinkos?!

9. OZZY

OZZY I DO WORK.....

i started with the dunlop qualifiers and cant say one bad thing about them. they lasted week at deals gap plus 3 days at mid ohio. set them at 30/30 cold and grip it and rip it.

10. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

and the shinko were modeled after the yokohamas,which were a excellent drag tire.

11. m54samrr

m54samrr Member

+1 Pirelli's are worth the money..I've tried the Conti's (not the race ver.) and wasn't all that impressed.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Go with Tomahawk... you can choose your color.

First.. are you asking your bike/tires to perform double duty as both a track and street mount?

13. CycleWorx Inc.

This is a track only bike. Mostly trackdays for now. I doubt I will attend any races except as a spectator. Hopefully I will be able to do 1-2 trackdays a month.

14. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: and you love me for it, Reggie! :up:

15. chest2tank

chest2tank Well-Known Member

I talked to these fellers at the Indy show earlier this month, and here's the scoop. These are single compound slicks with a VERY flat profile. The Stinko guy said he would not recommend these for track use, although I think that since this is a small company, they don't have any faith in their product.

This is what I think:
    If you want a cheap ass tire that still *looks* good (i.e.: it's a slick, so it's fast right?) and won't crash your bike, then this is for you. You can still put a knee down (said the guy who didn't believe in it), and it won't let you down. The problem is that you will have to work hard to turn it in and that being a single compound, it might wear faster.

This is the same tire as, umm dang it.....crap....who just went out of a business? Anyways, the compound has been used on the track before - just the profile is new.

All in all, FOR THE MARKET THEY'RE AIMED AT, the Stinko slick may well be what it says it is - "An alternative to 'questionable' takeoffs." Nothing more. If you're a fast guy who rags the hell out of it, then this tire may likely throw you off. If you're a slower intermediate guy who likes the price point, and you don't mind working a bit harder to turn her in, then here's your sign. Um, I mean tire.

16. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Goodyears. And make sure you line the tubes up with the valve stem... And check those spokes for tightness. 2" rims up front and 3" on the rear. Weave a lot to heat them up and you'll be fine. At least you will be ahead of the guy on Shinkos.

17. richiestires

richiestires Well-Known Member

an the Michelin power race won four national championships in 2008 in motorcycle drag racing.:up:

18. EA6BMECH

EA6BMECH Well-Known Member

So what you all are saying is, the Shinko will "Just let go", just like a Mich?? :crackup: How would I know?.....:D At least after my experience, I'd give a Shinko a try.....:up:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  19. richiestires

richiestires Well-Known Member

Hey
    let me know how that goes for ya.o by the by michelin holds three et an mph records for the quarter mile. hummmmmmm well the fastest is a 7.60 at 202mph........

20. EA6BMECH

EA6BMECH Well-Known Member

So Michelin owns the bike and rider too I suppose....OK.:up: