Fixing TPO Trailer Cap

Discussion in 'General' started by alocker, Jan 23, 2009.

1. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on fixing my trailer cap that is cracked. Its just the front part and the crack is about 12" long. Its made out of TPO (Thermo Plastic Olefin) and is grouped as a problem plastic.

I have found a bunch of 2 part products but they all require $50-$250 applicator guns. Any info is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Don't know if it will work on that particular plastic, but I used this stuff on some busted ninjette bodywork and it has held up fine. For 5 bucks it's worth a try.

3. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

4. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Haulmark cap, but my Pace cap is cracked too. A new cap cost $90 (plus labor).

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

When mine cracked, I used a thin strip of aluminum on the inside and used small stainless pop rivets to hold it in place, pre drill all the holes and before installation seal it all up with standard epoxy...

6. Roosell

Roosell It's just as I suspected

:D:up:

7. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Can't duct it, fuck it.

8. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

come on guys, we all know duct tape can only fix inner tubes and jet engines.

9. what would happen if you combined duct tape with mighty putty?

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Cold fusion.

11. caferace

caferace No.

What do you think amafan is made of?

-jim

12. I have thought of alot of possibilities, neither of those were on the list....:D

13. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

:crackup:

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

couldn't that be plastic welded like we used to do with bodywork years ago..

15. LilJayRR

LilJayRR Well-Known Member

16. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

JB weld

17. Ed Sorbo

Ed Sorbo Well-Known Member

Put a strip of painters low tack tape on the inside as a mold. Fill the crack with 5 min epoxy. Match the color with a black marker. Remove the tape. Enjoy.

18. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

My company installs tpo on roofs.Find a nearby roofing supplier.Make sure you tell them the color.They can sell you a tpo patch and the glue to fix that right up.

19. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

I had those plastic caps like that crack twice. The first time was covered under warranty, the second time wasn't, so I had it replaced with a fiberglass piece instead of the plastic again. Been a couple of years and so far, so good.