where are the good twisty roads in so-cal?

Discussion in 'General' started by twisthappy900, Jan 13, 2009.

1. twisthappy900

twisthappy900 Well-Known Member

im out here from texas workin for a few weeks(torrence). would like to see some of the scenery and aggressive roads.directions maybe addresses would be nice. Thanks guys

ts199 likes this.
  2. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Mmmmmm.... Banner Grade, Mt Palomar, S2, Sunrise hwy. Great memories, better roads. Depending on how south you are I suppose, I've only ever been to San Diego and surrounding. Have fun.

track wagon likes this.
  3. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

Welcome to SoCal. My favorite Sunday morning route is Angeles Crest Highway/Angeles Forest Highway, starting in Glendale. Check out this link:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=G...=34.142502&longitude=-118.254204&geocode=CITY

See that twisty bit that goes through the middle of nowhere, heading toward Three Points? One of the most popular roads in the nation. Lots of cops, but a lot of fun if you're discrete and keep your eyes peeled.

Also, if you zoom in a bit, you'll see a small road that breaks to the left off of Angeles Crest. That, my friend, is Upper Big Tujunga. Nine miles of friggin heaven. And you can make a loop by turning left at the base of Upper Big Tujunga and taking Angeles Forest Road; it will intersect Angeles Crest, and you can take it back down.

There are lots of smaller roads through there, too. Make a map and have fun. Also google Newcomb's Ranch; it's the restaurant/hangout on the Crest.

Be careful. Deer occasionally, may be some snow runoff because it's up into the 80's here, and bonehead drivers and squids in addition to Officer Stout (a real piece of work).

beac83 likes this.
  4. 95speed

95speed aka Felix el gato

+1 on Los Angeles Crest highway and surroundings.

Upper Big Tujunga on a weekday am = sex

:clap:

5. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Palomar is fun. I like to run up Palomar and then head over to Julian for pie!

Ortega has some fun sections since they repaved the OC side....but it can get dangerous! Lots of traffic on that road.

6. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

Back in the day, I swore off The Crest, just too dangerous. Haven't been up there in years on a bike, but if you do go, be very careful of all the squids. You should also make a pilgrimage to the world famous Rock Store. It's on Mulholland at Cornell road. Jay Leno may show up on his jet bike. From the RS, go to Ojai, via 23.

I'm in Lawndale, right next to Torrance if you need any local info or assistance. Also, check out my bike club, wwwLABikers.net a great group of people that have almost weekly rides, plus they sponsor my kid.

7. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

Andy is good people.:up:

I forgot to mention that we're racing at Willow Springs this weekend. Temps in the 60s and 70s, no rain in the forecast. Should be an OK day at the track for January ...

8. APPI

APPI Well-Known Member

And 20s and 30s at night. Almost makes you want to use the crapper in the RV rather than the public bathrooms but I refuse to deal with that mess, literally.

9. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Naw, head North of Torrance & take the 1 aka PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) up the coast from Santa Monica headed northwest. Head into Malibu & then make a right onto Las Virgenes (Malibu Canyon) road (yawn) headed East. Take it easy through there - way too much traffic though it is a decent road but a fairly well traveled route. Make a right onto Mulholland Highway. Now we are getting better but watch out for traffic. Go about 5 miles & look for Stunt Road which is a "smaller" road which T's into Mulholland & so you will only see it on your right side. Will come up just as you make a sweeping left turn. Head up the 6 miles of fun & stop at the top of the hill (intersection of Stunt Road, Saddlepeak & Schueren Rd). Your at about 2,200 feet on one of the highest peaks in the Santa Monica mountains overlooking the Pacific Ocean. On a clear, windy day you can see most of the coast even down past Palos Verdes & Long Beach & see about 1/3rd of the L.A. basin. Spin around & you can see the western 1/4 of the San Fernando Valley, Calabasas & Moorpark. Head up there on a clear day when there are no low clouds or fog in the forecast.

Face the ocean & head down to your right down Schueren Rd. You will go through some nice twisties but be careful as there are a couple of wicked decreasing radius right handers that tighten up way past apex & you are coming down a nice hill. Good way to wake you up! Schueren Rd hits Rambla Pacifico & Piuma Rd & you will find Rambla Pacifico is closed (due to road collapsing years ago). Take Piuma Rd down to the PCH & you are back in Malibu. Make a right & head past the pier & past Las Virgenes.

About 6 miles North of Las Virgenes Rd you will find Latigo Canyon Road. A smaller 2 lane road like Stunt & Schueren but there is very little traffic through there & some classic turns. Head up Latigo & you will find it runs into Kanan Dume Road (another larger artery headed inland). Make a right onto Kanan Dume & then another right onto the Mulholland Highway. Very slow speed & tight stuff coming down the hill. After 3 miles or so you will see the Rock Store on your right. On the weekends it is a big hangout, not so on the weekdays.

You can head down to Las Virgenes by continuing to head straight past the Rock Store & take that back to the beach & PCH or keep going on Mulholland Hwy until you hit Topanga Cyn. Make a right & it will take you back through the mountains. Or you can turn around & go past Kanan Dume on Mulholland Hwy & either make a left on Encinal Canyon Rd & take Encinal down to Decker Canyon & make a left or just take Mulholland Hwy up & over to the North a bit & then down to Decker Canyon & make a left. That takes you back to the beach.

You can set up these loops however you want but I have found that taking Stunt Rd up from Mulholland & Latigo Rd up from the beach to be the nicest rides. Some just take Latigo up & back down & then do the same for Stunt Rd. Have fun & drive/ride safe. Many VERY distracted drivers here in So. Cali...

beac83 likes this.
  10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Mt Baldy Road. Then head over to old Hwy 2. I haven't ridden that in about 20 years so I don't even know if the old road exists anymore. It was one of my favorites routes back in the day.

Sweatypants likes this.
  11. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

if you're gonna send him that far, you might as well tell him to go ahead and make a run up the 33. :up:

12. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I love Ortega, but in reality it is a death trap. Very tight sections, some w/o guardrails w/ 100-1000 ft. drops and the road is always in bad condition. Sand, rock and gravel always covers the road.

track wagon likes this.
  13. TWISTED METAL

TWISTED METAL wanna be track owner

they just repaved banner grade road....

so to me thats the best ride...in the san diego area....montezuma is badass but too many damn cops...and pally had 1million tards that go way too fast for a public road....

mmunoz411 and track wagon like this.
  14. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

crashed on Ortega a few years ago, a gravel truck was stopped in my lane as I came around a sweeper... decided not to cross the DY... don't know if all the construction trucks are still using that road?

some nice roads up in San Berdo, up by fawn skin... might have snow right now? always CHP.

if your gonna hit Malibu I would avoid weekends.

15. RayH

RayH Air Cavalry!

+2/ Angeles Crest.
    Just enjoy the ride, not so dangerous if you just settle in and enjoy it. Throw the high pace out the window. Stop at Nukem, 22 miles up, then ride on higher to the dead end. Back down the hill and you will have a great day.
    I live in Pedro, if you are chose the Crest, I may head up this weekend as well.
    Ray

16. stuman

stuman Well-Known Member

17. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

Angeles Crest = great road mucho cops
    Ortega = I've heard dangerous with sportcars but great nonetheless
    Lake hughes road to lake elizabeth, san francisquito canyon = epic!

Highway 33 (near ventura) = Absolutely, positively the most epic road ever!

18. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

QFT.

19. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

the best overall road in socal is Azusa Canyon (highway 39), to east fork, and then through the back and frontside of GMR (Glendora Mountain Road). As a native to socal- i've ridden all the roads out here. Azusa and GMR have great layouts- are almost always clean, and NEVER have cops. take the 210 and exit azusa avenue, head north, and enjoy :)

20. jkim13

jkim13 Well-Known Member

My personal favorite was Azusa. Road is always in good condition and you dont have to worry about potholes. No decreasing radius turns except for 1 and its the only turn with a speed limit sign on it. Some how a lot of people crash there lol