1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tire warmer tests.

Discussion in 'General' started by cdeck26, Nov 18, 2002.

1. gixxerfever

gixxerfever Well-Known Member

tire sox sucks!

why spend 275 bucks for something that will aggravate the living crap out of you, burn your tires, and ultimately self destroy??? invest in a good set like chicken hawk. It is a pity that there's people who say that you don't need warmers, they are obviously back markers with no sense for competitiveness. If yo are a front runner you know the importance of tire warmers.

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

someone after my own heart.

on a side note. i once heard a clown who teaches a respected school. {who also thinks he knows everything} say, "AND FOLKS, IF YOU ARE USING TIRE WARMERS, MUTE POINT, THE TRACK IS COLD!!" what a schlep.

3. gixxerfever

Brad,

Not attacking you in any shape of form, just trying to convey the importance of tire warmers and try to eliminate wrong perceptions.

Having said that, it is very important to run tire warmers as your tires will not stick properly unless they are at operating temp. On the same token just because you have tire warmers, it doesn't mean you can go flying into t1 when the track is green or it it is cold out. people need to use their brains.

I'm not here to fight with anyone, i'm here to relate any knowlegde i have to those that might want to learn from my experiences. :D

4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you totally missed it dude. i was giving you kudos for going off and saying it so simply. {hence the after my own heart line}

5. gixxerfever

i'm blind

Brad,
    i'm sorry bro, i'm in between naps, hhahah i totally miss that!!! haaha don't i feel like a dope! hhaha

6. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Motorsports Photo

I doubt most ever get their tires that high during the race. I don't think I even do, but I do run near the front of the pack on outdated machinery.

ANd if you ride that hard in the warm up lap on cold tires, you are going to have a lot of cold tire crashes.

I go about 60-80% of my race pace on the warm-up. I don't fall down then and rarely fall down after the start either.

that heat test you speak of, dose it mention any temps?

That test runs at 100° C.

Of course we have been told that heat cycling destroys (race) tires, but suprisingly, we did no testing for that.

-SP

7. gixxerfever

more on warmers

what people need to realize is that it also depends on what bike you run. while you can get away with certain things while running a tz250 or an sv, the same things will put you on your butt when running a bigger bike like say 600's 750's or 1000's, i'd love to see anyone ride 9/10's on 50 degree weather without warmers....

8. 1Liter

1Liter Well-Known Member

100 cel, is 212 DEg. Far. a temp that a tire would never really be subjected to, so that test is not realivant. ANd when my tires go onto the track at 175 deg far. they come back in the same general temp range. it's getting them there that is the hard part, that is why you need warmers. They bring your tires to their prescribed opperating temperature. otherwise, you are just risking your own ass by not having all the traction that you could. I look at it as a saftey aspect. I just read the sport rider write up on DOT race tires. And it's not all that accurate, because they were not using warmers (or at least didn't mention they did)before heading out on the track, so obviously the tire won't act correctly right away.

9. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

"100 cel, is 212 DEg. Far. a temp that a tire would never really be subjected to, so that test is not realivant."

Where Speedy and 1liter got the "100 C" deal is beyond me, because I've got the story right here in front of me and there is no testing at 100 C. The testing was time based, as in, plug them in and see how hot the tire got in a specified time period. None of the warmers got near 100 C.

So, where did the 100 C reference come from? Are you delusional?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  10. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

It came from Speedy Pete when he was doing this rubber testing at a job he had once.;)

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As with most things this wandered off topic a bit - Speedy Pete was talking about his testing of rubber in a past life as a research chemist (or whatever the specific title was). Neither was actually talking about the article itself, just heating of rubber in general.

12. John Ulrich

OK, I get it, I guess I was delusional. Sorry. Never mind. Carry on.

13. vinny

vinny Member

John U...as a subscriber to you mag and someone in the market for a new set of tire warmers...THANKS FOR A GREAT ARTICLE!!!!.

Oh sorry for yelling, I got excited!

14. TYRSOXRICHARD

TYRSOXRICHARD Banned

TIRE WARMER TESTS

TIRE WARMERS ...-... TYRSOX .
    EVERYONE.--. EVERYWHERE-.-
    WWW.TYRSOX.COM . .. --
    SEE "ADDENDA" ON -COMMENTS- PAGE .-.--
    OVER - ..-..

15. wsmc667

wsmc667 Well-Known Member

Re: Bandits

my wife (wsmc# 666) and i (wsmc# 667) have used graves "cheaper" bandits for 13 consecutive months of racing at willow springs. we use them for every session in the cold and only heat during the first couple sessions in summer. we always put on the warmers after coming in off the track to help slow cool down (not plugged in).

they work awesome!!! they heat up real quick and have great thermostats. better still, they've got these little orange lights on them that you can see in daylight to let you know they're working. we don't really baby them, but we always turn them off and either hang or lay them out flat when yanking them off the bikes.

my sole complaint is that the front warmers are "shrinking" in length slowly. it's not real bad yet, but i'm starting to consider replacement...

someday, i'll be b-sing with eric wood again and i'll have to talk to him about the tire bakers and may try some of them out, too.

:D chris in sandy eggo

16. You gotta be careful dude...

When you ride a 14 year old bike, and are the only guy on the planet on Bridgestones, when you say you are going hard, you are going to come under immediate and intense fire...

Of course, I luv ya like a brutha and all...

17. wsmc667

wsmc667 Well-Known Member

Re: more on warmers

what's funny is that i think it's the opposite.

i raced a 916 on STREET tires in february of 2001 because i was worried the "race" dot tires would be too slow to heat up.

once we switched to the aprilia rs250s, tire issues became more apparent. well, also, our race craft improved and we sucked less. but anyway, when i really was a newbie and greatly sucked, i never thought i'd need warmers.

:D chris in sandy eggo
    wsmc# 667
    (somehow managed #2 in aprilia challenge class for 2002)

18. I suppose that that Michelin, Dunlop, Metzler/Pirelli, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Buell, HD, Ducati, etc don't have even $1 between them collectively to have verified whether or not tire warmers work, yet they all use them?

We're all just tire warmer lemmings apparently....
    :(

19. I have a theory that "cold tire" crashes are actually cold shock crashes, and invented a mini tire warmer to wrap around your shock to prevent this. It is made by the guy who makes Tire Bakers. Works totally bitchin.

Baker was a little bummed because the warmers they used in the test were old and didn't come from him as current models. They were short in coverage. He worked this out early in 02 by working with KWS Motorsports and the (then) current FUSA champ Shawn Higbee. With the Dunlop DOT being very big o round, they needed a couple o more inches of heater. It is dialed now though.

Eric Wood is selling these warmers as well. They kick ass.

20. John Ulrich

Hey, he sent them, and when the actual test data was collected, they were his latest/greatest.