Teknic Back protector... how good, or bad, are they?

Discussion in 'General' started by Red-line, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Red-line

Red-line Well-Known Member

Hmm...
    The T-Pro backprotector looks remarkably similar to the Joe Rocket Speedmaster back protector. Are they a joint venture of sorts? Did JR brand it under their name? If not, how does it compare?

Joe Rocket
    [​IMG]

T-Pro
    [​IMG]

2. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

i've got the teknic speedstar spine guard.

[​IMG]

exceeds CE EN1621-2 standards.

I think the OP was not CE certified, but im not positive on that.

Just like everyone else says make sure its certified and gear/protection is the last thing you want to skimp on.

im in the market for a knox chest protector this winter though.

3. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

The JR Speedmaster is a rebadged T-Pro Forcefield.

4. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

that's called "private label"...:up: same as the joe rocket helmet made by hjc, etc

5. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

I've got the Knox Contour and think it is a good choice.

Check out the cutaway with a designed "crush zone" much like how cars are designed to crumple and absorb/distribute the impact.

You can't decide how you're going to hit the ground or an object and who's to say that even the best back protector will protect you completely in certain instances. But you can decide to protect yourself with the best possible equipment.

[​IMG]

More here.
    http://stores.knoxarmor.com/-strse-3/Knox-Contour-Back-Protector/Detail.bok

6. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

7. ccsracer388

ccsracer388 Active Member

a-stars has a pretty good line of back protectors. different styles and sizes. i've had quite a few crashes with mine and no issues.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Was that from landing flat on your back or was it crushed between the other two vertebrae's due to bending backwards? Or do you just not know?

9. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about trying the Knox Contour and chest protector next year. I've been watching too many Brian Van reviews:eek:

10. Red-line

Ok... so with all that has been said above, if you were to choose between the T-Pro Forcefield/JR Speedmaster, the Knox Ricochet or Aegis, and the Dainese BAP2, which would you choose, and why?

From what I have read, the Knox Ricochet and Aegis models are quite good, are they not?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  11. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Thanks. The wife is shopping online as I type. The Mark Brereton crash story was enough to get her started..... Sorry Mark. BTW, I enjoyed both of your DVD's immensely and was anticipating a 3rd which never got produced, I guess.

12. Red-line

Ok kinda answering my own question here...

I see that the TPro Forcefield PRO is CE approved to EN1621-2 Level 2.
    Not sure that the JoeRocket private labelled version is or not...

I see that the Knox Ricochet is CE approved to EN1621-2 Level 1.
    and that the Knox Aegis is CE approved to EN1621-2 Level 2.

I can't find any information with regards to what CE level the Dainese BAP2 is... Can anyone confirm?

So, if I were to only take CE certifications into consideration, then that currently leaves me with the Forcefield Pro and the Knox Aegis. Can anyone who has tried both chime in on their comfort level, and actual real-world experience with either?

Thanks,

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

...and just to be clear, this isn't a case like helmets where you're just spending more to make yourself feel better. The higher quality back protectors are demonstrably better at protecting you from impact than the cheap-o's are.

re: the Joe Rocket / T-Pro thing above...the JR is the same protector just rebranded...either are a good bet.

14. krash

krash Well-Known Member

I was using the Teknic speedstar that someone posted a pic of. Then I recently switched to the T-Pro forcefield, and it is extremely comfortable. It molds to your back and feels good. where as that teknic was like wearing a piece of plywood on your back

15. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Impact Armor brand for chest protection? I'm thinking of swapping out my A* Bionic vest for their chest guard and the T-Pro BP.

16. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

17. Red-line

Well, I never did end up getting that Teknic backprotector for $10, it sold to someone else.

I think I have decided however to go for a Knox Aegis back protector anyways. I've got a good price on one, and I like the way the straps come straight down the chest, instead of pinching under the arms like other brands...

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I have the Impact Armor chest protector but I haven't tested it. Maybe sent email to Colin Edwards or Nicky Hayden as they both use that too.