1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else getting or have been laid off......

Discussion in 'General' started by nas19320, Oct 31, 2008.

1. speedybee43

speedybee43 Well-Known Member

I've been laid off twice in the mortgage industry. My only advise is to take the time to find something that you want to do instead of taking the first job offered to you. The first time I was laid off, I took the first job offered to me and I was miserable in a couple weeks. The second time I took time to find a job that I truely enjoy. Good Luck

2. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

I get laid off every year in the winter for anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months due to winter shut down. I dont really like it too much, but I am in constant contact with my boss all winter, as he pays me cash to do odds & ends work from home. Not so bad, all things considered. Plus I get a nice re-charge period where I dont have to get up early, get dressed for work or anything of the sort.

3. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

4. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

I thought getting laid off in the winter and re-upping in the spring was a way of life in the motorcycle industry.

Ah, but what do I know...

5. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I was laid off at the beginning of August thankfully as the company ended up closing the plant that I worked at. I ended up getting a job that started the day after my last day but for half the money and with crap for days off. I went from making 85k+ to a little more than half that. The sad thing now is the company I work for has been in Chapter 11 bankruptcy for 4 years. Who knows what's going to happen there on a day to day basis.

6. JB_Pgh

JB_Pgh Well-Known Member

I got laid off a couple weeks ago, it bites.

7. vikbarbarian

vikbarbarian Banned

i have been lucky, just changed my job with better package and a promotion!

8. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Is the following a new trend?

I have heard of this situation happening a lot as of late, and I wonder what the tactics are for the employer.......

Situation is this. Factory or office is closing/consolidating. They dangle the current employees along for a bit by annoucing the closure. Then at a later date they make an offer to employees that they can have a position at a new location, but only have 24 hours to decide.

My thought is, if that person is the right employee for that position now, would they still not be the right person for the job in a week's time?

Giving someone only 24 hours to make a life altering/changing decision sucks. But I have heard this situation occuring three times in the last two months here in Wisconsin for Miller and GM employees.

I apologize if this is considered a threadjack or if it does not pertain to the "laying off" focus of this thread.