Scotts vs Pit Bull Steering Dampers Poll

Discussion in 'Tech' started by vasiliy, Jul 26, 2008.

?

Scotts vs PitBull

1. Scotts

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. PitBull

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. neither, but will post why

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

Gents,
    What are your thoughts on Scotts vs Pit Bull Steering Dampers?

I've included a poll, whichever wins, thats what i'll get :)

THANKS!

2. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

guys, if you vote neither, post why please. seriously

and actually, post why period... WHY!? :)

3. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

from a squid-eye of mine... all i can tell is that pitbull is better for one reason, the design does not obstruct you from getting under the tank...

4. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Actually I like the one that comes stock on a CRF honda. Its a genuis idea with minimal costs and completly out of the way down low. Every bike should have this design stock. I have thought about adapting one to my bike.

5. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

considering the fact that its possible that the stock gsxr damper didnt do its job, and certainly contributed to my crash... i dont know how good the stock dampers are... f'n wrist is killing me...

6. adamm07

adamm07 Well-Known Member

I like my Scotts, no significant head shake and no interference w/steering, seems to be doing its job.
    I've not had any experience with the Pit Bull one.

Another thing, related to previous comments, have you considered an Ohlins linear type in the stock GSXR location. You can't adjust it while on track, but the one I had on my old bike worked well also. No interference with tank removals.

Adam

7. RocketRider911

RocketRider911 Well-Known Member

Pit bulls are easier to adjust properly, but all the aplications I have seen you had to drill and tap extra holes in the bike.....not what I want to be doing, when I can bolt others on and go.

Scotts if you can adjust them out right work better, but most people don't adjust them properly or even know how to adjust all of their settings.

Personally I love my ohlins liner Damper that replaced my stock gsxr damper and that would be my vote.

8. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

Thanks! Kinda what I was thinking.

As far as adjusting damper, I am probably the person that knows #@$% about proper adjustments... Where can I rtfm, or should I bug the suspension people when I see them?

9. adamm07

adamm07 Well-Known Member

The linear one that I had only had one knob, stiffer or lighter, w/clicks. I only moved the knob very rarely. Get a faster guy that you trust to eyeball it in the pits. If it wobbles too much turn it up, if no wobbles at all turn it down a little. Mine will usually wobble just a tiny bit occasionally.

The "extra" knob on the Scotts was set to what the instructions said and never touched again. No problems.

Disclaimer: I'm slow, and am not fresh off of being thown on my head due to the problems we are now discussing.

Adam

10. RocketRider911

RTFM?

11. RocketRider911

well seeing as there are 4 adjustments on a scotts your two short

12. scott72673

scott72673 Well-Known Member

V-

I have a spare GPR damper (without the mount) that I can send you for cheap. It's a good unit and what I'm using on the R6

Red in color. mounts like the pitbull/scotts

Let me know

Scott

13. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

Thanks :) I have to move apt in 2 weeks... and other bills.

After doing financials , I dont think I can realistically see the saddle until September, considering I have to get new helmet, fix suit... damper...fairing stay... GMD work....

totally sucks... im missing at least 10 track days... and the week i took off to ride at VIR is also fuk#...

keeping good spirits :)

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I voted but I don't want to post why.

15. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

pm sent :)

16. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

I just changed the oil in my stock GSXR one with some 15w fork oil and it has worked perfect every since. It only cost about $12 to do and it only takes about 10 mins.

17. Chip

Chip Registered

Pit Bull.

18. edlaw13

edlaw13 Bells Honda Racing

I have had the scotts and pit bull rotary dampers and also the ohlins linear..
    i would say the pit bull of the rotary type.. but the ohlins linear is the best damper I have had

19. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

thanks guys. I know its tough to judge between the two... Are there any reasons why NOT to go with Scotts?

20. vasiliy

vasiliy Squid Enthusiast

well, new news surface... now people are convincing me not to get anything but a linear damper like Ohlins or Hyperpro... Apparently all rotary dampers develop a dead spot...

sux, ohlins is expensive... but thats what i had on my 05 750 last year... and i've NEVER had any problems.. on the same track, on the same bumps...