1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I tried Motocross... Guess what happened.

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I dont know what thats considered but all I know is I was taken out to do trails with these guys (about 30 of them..and they're all in their 50s and 60s) and they had a couple 10-15 mile trails cut out in deland florida. OK WORST FUN OF MY LIFE...IT SUCKED

If you've ever ridden florida sugar sand, you know what Im talking about. ITS WHY EVERY PRO MOTORCROSSER LIVES IN FLORIDA...I it the hardest stuff to ride in. Then when you run through woods I can barely see through without barkbusters on an MX setup chassis mind you where evey 2 feet, your going between trees only half an inch from either handlebar..YA!! SOOO NOT FUN!!!

I made 2 turns in this thicket of sugary woods before these 50 and 60 year olds disappeared
    and probably crashed 150 times. They were done with the 10 and 15 mile loops before I was done with the 10...NEVER WENT BACK

2. Be Evil

Be Evil The soft dawn of pum

At least you didnt pick up stunting, motocross is pure fun young or old as I see it. If your going to be dumb you have to be tough

3. 06750dude

06750dude Active Member

I miss riding motorcross, used to race an 01 KTM 125sx and had a 99 KTM 250sx to play on....

4. HEHE... i went the other way... Spent 5 years on my RM125 before ever getting my Gixxer... The guys I go riding with bitch about arm pump, and I just laugh and tell em to go ride MX....

5. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tried MX for a few years. Even did a few races. Thing is, in 14 years of road racing, I've had my share of injuries, for sure. In the short few years of MX and Supermoto, I have been injured more severly than all those years of road.

I applaud the MX guys. Of course, they applaud us on many occassions and I honestly think if you are a natural on two wheels, ANY of the diciplines will come somewhat easy to you. I'm amazed at the naturals who can ping pong ball between them and do at worst, average...

I will say that MX gave me more confidence when the bike moves under me on the road courses now. I also learned to slide a little better or if the bike gets out of shape, I don't get too over excited.

One thing I always did say to those jumps like you described... I called them girl jumps.

Reason being is that I usually would be screaming like a girl as I was lifting off the ground until I landed... Hence, girl jumps...:D

6. pouchkangaroo

pouchkangaroo Banned

You got your ass kicked far worst than it did on paved track!

7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I agree whole hartedly I mean look at 2 up and coming ex A/B motorcrossers in WERA right now. One is Reese Wacker enjoying his first season racing as an Am, who is doing incredible,
    and the other Is Tyler Burroughs who I wish had started road racing sooner, as he has just a god given talent on any two wheels and the kid is also in his first season as an am, and I bet is setting amateur lap records at many tracks. At Roebling a month or 2 ago, he got down to mid 13s and in the solo 20, placed 3rd over all with combined experts behind Josh Day at one other guy I believe and almost lapped me...AND I WAS THIRD LOL. He also runs 18 flats at jennings. I consider it an honor to be out there racing with him, and just wish I could stay behind him for more than 2 turns so I could follow his lines

8. runfromme

runfromme Well-Known Member

fixed that for you :up:

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yeah Reese is a great rider. He used to train at Millsaps Training Facility but his MX career got sidetracked on the road to Loretta's. I think he will do good things roadracing.

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My arms pump up after about 6 laps at most tracks. 2 laps into the moto, I could barely hang on to the bars in the whoops.

It was fun talking to the different guys at the race. I got talking to a few of the guys, and explained that I roadraced and they all wanted to know more. Soon enough I was writing the BBS address on pieces of cardboard for guys to check out.

No matter what discipline it's all good. Although, I think flat trackers are purely insane.

11. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Me and my wife went to Vegas and saw the Endurocross. That is total sickness. Falling over in the dirt is one thing but these guys were falling over onto boulders, piles of logs, big chunks of rock, etc. Oh and they did a "night" race where they turned the lights off in the stadium and made the poor bastards ride the course with a headlight.

12. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

You sure did - just remember to be wearing your Daisy Dukes at NJMP tommorrow :moon:

13. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

My crash to injury ratio is off the chart on my dirt bike.:down:

14. Gerloff310

Gerloff310 G-man

I raced motocross for 30 yrs. I have the broken bones and surgery scars to prove it! I started road racing to give my body a break (no pun intended). I broke my collar bone (for the 3rd time) on my 1st road race weekend. They forgot to tell me you can't wick the throttle at full lean angle coming out of a corner like you can on a dirt bike. Old habits die hard!!! I must say, the speed in road racing is certainly addicting. I wish I would have started before the age of 39. My kids want very little to do with MX now that they have got a taste of the pavement and the speed. They still trail ride, but when it comes to racing, they want to stay on the pavement.

15. joec

joec brace yourself

"dirt is for pigs. pavement is for racing!"

16. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yeah I started out in the dirt and raced a 125 a bit in the mid/late 90's. Haven't owned a dirtbike for about 10 years but just picked up a used yz 250f to play with and man its fun. The jumps are way bigger than I remembered though haha! Its great for just keeping yourself in shape and for me its something to get me away from the roadracing a bit because I was getting pretty burned out. NTM is WAYYY cheaper than roadracing!

17. rcmike917

rcmike917 Well-Known Member

"then they get older and beat up and roadrace, then they run out of money and they go run harescrambles."

You hit the nail on the head there my friend. Harescrambles- 3 to 5 bucks to get in the gate and $30 to race for 3 hours or if your like me race until you fall over and die. And the racing is serious too, not just a Sunday trail ride. A and B class will hit 60+ mph in the woods racing between the trees. All I know is I have very little $$ in my kx250 set up for the woods and I'm having a blast. Harescrambles have been a nice temporary replacement to roadracing. Best bang for the buck out there. One thing though, you can take a motocross bike in the woods and survive but it's hard to take a woods bike onto the motocross track, at least for someone like me it is. Hopefully I can stop bitching out on jumps and try racing some moto eventually, just can't get over that self preservation complex....

18. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

word.

Knee on the ground: good times.

Wheels in the air: crapped pants.

19. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Dirt riding can be fun but whenever I do it (which admittedly isn't that often) I'm sore all over for a week.

Glad you're okay Hyperdyne! Casing a double has got to hurt.