1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who said Einstein beleived in God?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by tzrider, May 13, 2008.

1. r6rider75

r6rider75 New Member

That’s a pretty broad definition of atheism, and it really doesn’t describe what I was referring to. I would agree with you that it doesn’t take much faith to say “I don’t know”. However there are only two alternatives, either there is a God or there isn’t , there is no maybe.

It isn’t possible to have enough evidence to make either assertion with 100% certainty. There comes a point at which you have to weigh the evidence available and make a decision, either position requires faith. Not blind faith however; it should be based on evidence. Blind faith is not very meaningful.

2. r6rider75

r6rider75 New Member

Could you explain how the laws of logic could come about by chance.

3. mrussell

mrussell Staff

If I were to say "God may exist but I doubt it", are you saying that that isn't a 'maybe' position? I would say it was, but for the sake of argument, I'll agree that most people feel one way or the other about the probability that God exists.

The amount of religious faith required to believe in God increases as more details about His/Her/Its nature are asserted. For example , it takes faith to say "I believe that there is or was some supernatural intelligent being that created the universe". But it takes much more faith to say that God created the world in 6 days, or became human as his own son , or dictated the Qur'an to Muhammed , or sent an angel to reveal golden tablets to Joseph Smith, etc. There is no testable evidence that any of these things are true but many many people accept them as matters of faith.

Again, to not believe these things doesn't require faith, only skepticism.

4. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Intelligent Agnosticism. Wave of the future. :up:

We don't know because there isn't proof either way, but we aren't braindead so we all guess at what is most unlikely.

5. sdg

sdg *

:crackup:Got one folks!:D

logic: An idea proposed intelligent lifeforms (humans) who seem to have evolved from primordial goo over millions of years.

Just like has likely happened in many other places across the vast expanse that exists above us. (space)

:Poke:

6. LBF

LBF Hearse Driver

I bet he enjoyed his life more than 'ole braniac though...

7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Bah, it's all pretty relative...

8. justsome1

justsome1 Member

i looked them up in the dictionary:

ATHEIST:
    one who believes that there is no deity
    AGNOSTIC:
    1: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god
    2: a person unwilling to commit to an opinion about something <political agnostics>

does this help?