brakes holding front tire spin

Discussion in 'Tech' started by prb110, May 19, 2008.

1. prb110

prb110 Well-Known Member

after putting in a new set of brake pads, is it normal for the front wheel to spin hard? will it losen up after so many miles? right now it would generate so much heat i think it would warp the rotors. suggestions? 2006 gsxr600 ebc brakes. thanks

2. User Error

User Error Issue caused by the User!

pull the calipers back off fully push the piston's back in the calipers... then re install... once you do that pull in brake lever about 1/4 inch about 50 times and they should fix themselves...

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Have you cleaned the calipers lately??

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I would first remove the pads, put 1 pad in between, and pump the brake a bit to push the calipers out a little farther than they normally push. THen clean them with lots of brake cleaner and a brass brush. Once they're all shiny, then push them back, and re-install.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I wouldn't use brake cleaner or a brass brush.

Why?

Well the brake cleaner will cause the rubber seals to get damaged.

The brass brush will scratch up the surface coating on the caliper piston if it has one.

Dishsoap and water with a medium to hard toothbrush is all that is needed.

7. (diet)DrThunder

I'm pretty sure brake cleaner is formulated to be safe on brakes...no? You are right about the brass brush if you have aluminum pistons...I've only ever had bikes with steel, and I've never seen a mark on them from doing that over many years.

8. powerban

powerban Well-Known Member

I like to use Simple Green and some Q-tips. Works great.

9. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Brake cleaner - BAD!!!

10. powerban

Brake cleaner is good for automotive stuff. I just keep reading that its bad for bikes. Even Braketech doesnt recommend you use it to clean their rotors since they often leave a film. For rotors, they recommend denatured alcohol or acetone and a clean rag. Simple green for the calipers for me.

11. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've got a can of Brakleen and it says to protect all rubber, plastic, and painted parts from product and overspray. The stupid thing is, it goes on to say that it can be used without disassembling the brake components. Seems to me that if you sprayed it onto your brake components without taking them apart, you're bound to get it on rubber seals.

I just play it safe and dont use it.

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I used WD40... then some mild degreaser when Im done.

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I use brake cleaner with no ill effects. YMMV.

14. sdg

sdg *

non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

15. aurellie

aurellie Well-Known Member

You have too much brake fluid in the brake reservoir.

16. prb110

prb110 Well-Known Member

what

please explain what that would do. i did check and it is at full line. no more

17. powerban

take just a lil bit more out of the reservoir. Since you switched to new pads, you're pushing the calipers back in to make up for new thicker pads. This pushes the fluid back into the reservoir. Since the fluid cant compress, it has to put pressure back into the calipers causing a little bit of excess brake drag.

18. powerban

If you want to get rid of some more extra brake drag, remove the metal spring plates on the calipers.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I swear there is a coating on the pistons from my 2006 GSX-R600 caliper pistons. That coating doesn't feel very hard.

20. (diet)DrThunder

I'm certainly not a trained mechanic...I was told to do the stuff I mentioned by a mechanic long ago. Maybe someone who really knows this stuff could drop some knowledge on us. I don't want to jack up my brakes, and I definitely don't want to be telling someone to do stuff that might be harmful to the brakes.