1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dungeon demographics: the God poll

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Apr 14, 2008.

?

Which answer best reflects your beliefs?

1. I know there is a God.

88 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. I think there is a God, but I could be wrong.

22 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. I really have no idea.

33 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. I think there is no God, but I could be wrong.

51 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. I know there is no God.

39 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. charles

charles The Transporter

Casby said he was ALWAYS right.;)

2. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

I see your point; and that is why I have trouble with people saying they "know" that God doesn't exist --how??? Science doesn't explain away God, it just explains how God may operate. I can't prove the existence of God to anyone, so how can someone prove the non-existence?

3. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I can't grasp the concepts of omnipotence or infinity. But that doesn't mean I think that it's likely God exists.

Why would an all-powerful being:

- sit around doing nothing for an eternity
    - then suddenly create the earth (a few thousand years ago?)
    - and create man “in his own image” (we're way to messed up for that to be plausible)
    - and, after some smiting, parting the seas, burning a few bushes and letting his son be crucified and resurrected, promptly desert the place
    - without leaving a single shred of physical evidence?

Can anyone who's read the bible and, say, Stephen Hawking, explain some of that?

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Did I say there was a Big Bang? Not just in this thread, I mean did I ever say that on the BBS? :confused:

5. tomastopher

tomastopher Well-Known Member

what if you look at Einstein's relativity with an eye toward the premise that one could never outrun or catch that wave of light, that it would always appear to run away from you, and then apply this to the appearance that the universe is expanding. Could that expansion then not be a mere "trick of the light" so to speak?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you believe in unicorns and the tooth fairy? (Why do I think I am going to regret asking this? :D ) Can you prove they don't exist?

Most times, you can prove that something exists if it does. You can never prove that something doesn't exist. Even if it doesn't.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

There could be a tooth fairy and unicorns. :p

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I know. :D

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Uh huh. You can measure if matter is moving together or apart,
    and by how much.

Nope. It's expanding, and, apparently, Americans-not wanting to
    be left behind- are expanding also.:p

Now then, not to put fear into everyone, but my theory is that
    everything in our universe is moving apart, and this will suddenly
    accelerate into warp speed, just before the same everything comes
    back together in the opposite direction at warp speed in one gigantic
    Big Bang...once again.

ShaZamm! The history of everything we know about!
    And that's all there is to it. C'est finis. Lights Out!

10. charles

charles The Transporter

Where's "Hater"?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I cannot recall you subscribing to the big bang theory.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Where's "Hater"?:confused:

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Probably because I don't. :D

I am not intelligent enough to understand the science behind it, and I'm not going to take it just on faith. As far as I can tell, it's just as unlikely as anything written by man. But if I really have to choose, I'm going that way.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I told you I was going to regret jumping into this thread.:D

15. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

nttawwt :D

16. charles

charles The Transporter

Where's "Hater"?:confused:

17. pouchkangaroo

pouchkangaroo Banned

The poll reveals this trend:
    God is just an idea that has gone terribly wrong for some, and yet gone terribly right for other, and yet again gone terribly confused for some other, and yet yet again gone terribly clueless for some. Just go with what ever you're comfortable with. Personally i would be just fine wth being able to walk into a store to do upgrade to my body parts. Are we there yet?

18. dwbrann

dwbrann Member

I have always suspected that the egotism and self-righteousness that would lead anyone to answer 1 or 5 in this poll is the root of all evil in the world.
    How anyone that can be so definite about a subject that cannot be proven scientifically I will never understand. And don't answer with "Faith" Faith is number 2.

19. Hater

Hater Well-Known Member

**You know me too well. . .
    The tooth fairy DOES exist. In my house, it will be me. :D
    As far as unicorns, there is actually a lot of literature and folk lore from societies around the globe that describe a creature much like that of a unicorn, so I do believe that unicorns COULD have existed. It is the same with dinosaurs (or dragons as much folk lore would have it.) Science tells us that dinosaurs died out long before man walked the earth, but too many stories exist from ancient societies describing creatures that resemble dinosaurs or dragons to make me believe that dinosaurs and man could not have co-existed. Obviously I don't know whether unicorns existed or whether dinosaurs and man lived at the same time, but I'm not ruling out the possibility.

20. T*A*R*MAC*

T*A*R*MAC* Wheelie Happy!

Where did the "designer" come from?