1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Viva La Revolcion!

Discussion in 'General' started by RumbleStrip, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

WSBK isn't competitive? Give the other factories some time, they will be back.

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Pouch, is that you?

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Please, please tell me that I missed your sarcasm again?

4. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Yes that was sarcastic. :) If they brought the WSBK bikes to the AMA the series would be more competitive. The AMA has had less time to develop there bikes.

Yamaha will be very good this year.

5. BHakalaw

BHakalaw Well-Known Member

If the AMA wants to believe that, then great; however, the factories wouldn't be the only ones pulling out of the series. For example, look at all of the satelitte teams (ie. Jordan, Erion, RRW, Graves, Matsushima, Attack, etc.), these teams are all factory subsidized. If the AMA is not running things to the likes of the factories, do you really think the factories are going to continue to subsidize these teams to race in a series which they fundamentally disagree with?

There is no way. What R.E. is failing to grasp is that his over meddeling with the AMA could be the demise of the road racing faction of the AMA, as there is no obligation for any of the factories to participate in AMA events nor is there any obligation for the factories to financially subsidize teams to participate in AMA Events.

This could get interesting. :Pop:

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

You need to work on your delivery! Just a friendly suggestion.

I don't think it is about a specific time frame needed for development.

7. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

Don't let Nascar happen to Motorcycle racing who wants to pay nascar prices to watch road racing. All they should do is level the playing field and make racing--racing again not just oh those guys are out front again. Make everything available to everyone. If they make racing more competitive and you don't know who is gonna win that will bring in sponsors. Also the TV coverage must be better show everyone that way the small guys can go out and get sponsors and show they will get tv coverage as well.

8. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

If the racing is close it will be good for all the factories.

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I guess I am not as short sighted as you. Having only the factories competitive is not good for the sport.

WSBK is competitive and more than just "factory" bikes can win which was the original point that eluded you.;)

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Apparently, I am not the only one that missed his sarcasm.

12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure R.E. and the rest of DMG knows what they are doing. Gotta keep in mind, they didn't buy this thing to appeal to a very small group of hardcore motorcycle racing fans - they bought it to make money. The only way they'll make money is to make it marketable. It hasn't been that marketable in the past, so, obviously, something has to change. When you introduce change, you piss people off. For the people that are pissed off, you can either come along for the ride or you can take your toys and go home.

If you make racing marketable enough to the point where $ is rolling in from outside sponsorship, you don't need factory subsidizing.

You think Home Depot is with Toyota because Joe Gibbs begged and pleaded with Toyota? I'd be willing to bet it was the other way around.

13. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

It's just Chuckie, aka Nostradumbass, I wouldn't take anything he says very seriously. ;)

14. G.Irish

G.Irish Well-Known Member

The problem was that the series was not marketable, the problem was that the powers that be (or powers that were) did a very poor job of marketing it. If WSBK or Moto GP was marketed the way AMA was they'd both be in the toilet bowl right now.

Some things do have to change but it has to be the right change for the right reason(s).

Sure, but how does switching superbike to a 600 cc class accomplish that?

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Which do the factories sell more of, 600's or 1000's?

16. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

The factories may throw a hissy but the bottom line is they will not go anywhere they will still race thats what helps to sell bikes and if your addicted to racing like everyone here on the board your gonna do whatever it takes to keep racing. If DMG makes it so expensive to go race then they are idiots.

17. Rad625

Rad625 Well-Known Member

You can't compare Europe to the US they live for motorsports and here we have twice as many people and we do not have the devotion to motorsports like the Europeans.

18. G.Irish

600's for sure, but how is that going to magically make superbike more successful than it has been in the past? Is that going to make more fans show up at the track? Is it going to make more sponsors sign on? Will it reduce costs on its own? Will it bring more TV coverage?

I just don't believe that the reason AMASBK has not lived up to its potential is because they should be using 600's instead of 1000's. There just doesn't seem to be any benefits that would cancel out the potential negative consequences.

19. Jim McDowell

Jim McDowell Hoping to pass tech

An argument could be made that 600's are marginally safer where maximum tire loads are extreme, say on the high banks at Daytona.

But even Mladin, who doesn't ride or race 600's, said last year that he already considers 600's to be more dangerous than superbikes because they generate higher apex speeds and that, in his mind, is where the danger lies.

20. G.Irish

Yep, it's exactly the same thing that happened with the 800's in Moto GP that were supposed to be safer. I don't think 600 cc superbikes will be any safer (IIRC more World Supersport riders ended up injured last year than WSBK riders) than the current 1000's. Maybe on rovals they would be, but running on rovals is dangerous in the first place and they shouldn't even be attempted to add more rovals to the schedule.