1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony PS3 question

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadRacerX, Apr 1, 2008.

1. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Why is it that the PS3's on the shelf now will not play PS2 games? I've got too many good PS2 games to switch to another system. Some of the earlier PS3's were backward compatible. Any plans on making future PS3 systems with the PS2 compatibility again? What's the dealeo?

2. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

The current ones on the shelf should play PS2 games. The original batch of PS3's actually had hardware emulation in them for playing the PS2 and PS1 games. The "2nd gen" of the hardware does it all in software emulation. Some of the weirder games that abused the PS2 hardware may not work properly on the PS3's with software emulation, but they are working on it here and there and with the firmware patches that come out may fix an issue if you are seeing it.

-steve

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

The 40 gig does not, the 80 gig does play them I think.

4. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Thanks Steve. The little dude at BestBuy assured me the 40g model would not play PS2 games, and there were no 80g models there. He said there may be a new model model coming out in June with the emulation. Since this is an all-knowing bbs, I figured you guys have the answers. ;)

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

It said specifically on my 40gig box that it is not backwards compatible.

The 80 gig box said is compatible with most.....

6. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Thx Joe!

7. tito

tito Well-Known Member

the 60 and 80 gigs doplay ps2/1 but they are no longer in production.......the us was/is the only place that got that feature, and i guess that added a lot to the cost building it. the 20 gig(no longer avaiable) and the 40 (only one you can get now) never had and never will have support for ps2 or ps1

8. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Cost? The PS3 is still the most expensive console of the 3. Sony needs to get their act together.

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Speaking of getting an act together, whats with the XBOX360? I was all set to go get one so I could play MotoGP07, untill I find out like 1 in 3 have some fatal error....it's called 3 red lights of death or something along those lines? Is this really the case? Whats the deal?

10. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

go price a blue ray player them talk about cost,

Unlike xbox/wii the ps3 will play blue ray which will be the main format of all movie discs for the future.

11. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

it's called the Red Rings of Death...and it's an overheating issue of some sort.

WERA 555 (Tony) is on his 4th 360. I've had my one and only since October (knocking on wood) with no issues so far. I do keep mine out, away from the entertainment center...with at least 3 ft of space on each side. hoping I'll never have an issue.

12. stalemate27

stalemate27 Banned

40g wont play the old games
    60g will play all games
    80g will play most of the old games

you can still find the 60g but they aint easy to get

13. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

No more 80 gig machines? I just purchased one in December. Should I put up for a rediculous amount on FeeBay er Ebay?

14. areceefittywon

areceefittywon Well-Known Member

My 80Gig won't play the only PS2 game I decided to keep.......Gran Turismo. Not a big deal though because I don't really play the older stuff any more and if I did want to I could just plug my PS2 in. In fact, I can't remember the last time I played anything other than COD4, LOL.

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Hit craigslist for the 60 gig if you can find it its the best PS3

16. paul

paul just fast enough

My 80 gig played all the lod stuff so far,,but I,m usually playing cod4.

Fwiw the 60 and 80 gig are also wifi

17. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I thought the 60 didn't have Wifi. Just the 80. I forgot they came out with those 40 gb models. I thought they were going to put all the PS2 emulation in the firmware. Fracking Sony. At least it's got BlueRay and COD:4.

-steve

18. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

ive never had a problem on my 80 gig, but once I started playing 0s3 games i never even looked at my crappy ps2 games

19. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

anyone figured out any chips for em yet and software? i have my 360 chipped and backup all my games in case I scratch them. any stuff for the PS3 yet?

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I just got a 60G on ebay.