Which SV650 clutch cover?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Angel, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

So far I've found the Spears and Woodcraft covers for 1st gen SV650's. I like the idea that the Woodcraft has a replaceable skid pad. Are there any others I should consider or any reason to not go with the Woodcraft?

Thanks!

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I used the Spears when I raced an SV. You can't go wrong with those. Heavy duty for sure!

3. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

woodcraft is the way to go.
    it uses stock O-ring which is nice.

4. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I have woodcraft on mine. Their stuff just plain works.

5. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

Woodcraft. Can't do much better.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

OK, follow up question then.

Should I get the stainless steel skid plate option? I was a little confused by the talk on the Woodcraft site about different thicknesses and ground clearance. I don't think I've ever come close to scraping my clutch cover (I have a Penske shock that the previous owner installed/setup -- and ground clearance overall is pretty good)

7. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

skid plate all the way

8. leanangle_750

leanangle_750 Pimpin' Parts

The aluminum skid-plate's only real purpose is to look pretty. If appearance is a big concern, it's an option, but it won't hold up as well as the steel unit. Also, the aluminum pads are thicker - by necessity - and can cause case/fairing clearance issues on some models (not many - and not yours).

http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/s...product_info-cPath-95_110-products_id-859.htm

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Damn squids got to make it complicated by wanting fancy anodized colors :D

10. TWF2

you will have hard time grinding that cover even when you crash.

11. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

Within a year my former black skid plate turned into a light honey brown :confused:
    maybe I have to start using it :rolleyes:
    but as said before, rock solid construction and very easy to install, way to go

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Ha ha, that SV650 in your blog -- was that literally in the "back of a van" in Torrance, CA? If so, I checked that thing out before you and passed on it.

"big time pothead, bought it from a tow yard" -- yep, that's the guy. Too funny. Looks like you have done a lot of work on it. The guy's original ad made it sound like it just needed some new forks and it would be good as new... yeah right!

13. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

you got that right, paid $400 for her, the reason I took it was I have a bunch of spare stuff and I split the risk with a buddy but she is all mine now :)

Runs great now, like it almost more than my yellow one

yes that guy was a total dope head, every time we talked his story got more obscure, his gf/wife looked like she is going to beat him up he didn`t get the bike out of there asap

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That's cool. I don't even have a garage, so undertaking that project would have been way beyond me. Looks pretty nice. I forget, how much was the guy originally asking?

15. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

I think in the beginning he was around 1k but there was now way in hell that he was getting that, crashed (a little parking accident as he put it), didn`t start, no keys, a little shady paper work, sitting for a while and the seller a dope head

should I go on :P

16. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

the stainless plates can be a PITA to get off if crashed. The bolts on mine (636) go into the cover and the heads get ground off in the crash, making it a PITA to replace.

17. TWF2

bolts are from inside of cover.