GP Bikes in B&C Superbike for '03?

Discussion in 'General' started by TZ925, Aug 23, 2002.

1. TZ925

TZ925 I do it for His glory!

Mongo and BBS'rs,
    In the "other" racing body a 250GP bike can race:

LWGP = Sportsman or National F2
    MWGP = no WERA equal
    UNLGP = Sportsman or National F1
    GTU = Med Solo 20
    GTO = Hvy Solo 20

The rules for MWGP are basically C-Superbike with the addition of 250GP's.

A big complaint the 250 guys have is not as many classes to compete in. It's not like the grid sizes will double, you'd probably get 1-5 more bikes at the most, maybe more but I doubt it. It looks as though the grids for C-Superbike are not as large as C-Superstock.

As a 250 rider I'd rather have an extra race against the 600's than F1. The racing would be better too.

Any thoughts?

Monty Warsing

2. TZ925

Everyones silence leads me to belive no one gives a $hit...

Mongo, let me know your thoughts at your convenience.

Monty

3. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I've kinda always wondered why 250s didn't race in other classes. But again, I don't know much about the mechanics of a bike and how they equal against each other and all that...

Sounds like a good idea to me.

4. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

I had asked about running B-superbike but was shot down by the big guy.

I can not even beat Timmahy on his FZR400 with my bike in F2.
    :(

5. Rusnak_322

Rusnak_322 FOX Mullet

Oh, and it’s got to be the bikes fault. There is no way I would publicly admit that I suck or that Jason doesn’t. :cool:

6. TZ925

Mongo?

7. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

I believe the larger grid in C SS is due to the contingency money being offered by the greatly used Suzuki GSXR-600. The top dawgs are in the C SS class because of more contingency and greater competition.
    As for not allowing 250 gp bikes in either class is beyond me.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The reason is that while watching the old school FUSA races I saw what a properly ridden 250 could do against the 4's. They can smoke most anything but a built 750/1k.

This is my dilemna.

9. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

For starters how do the mid pack laptimes compare? This does bring up the whole corner speed versus acceleration thing though. Fast bike in Corner held up by slow cornering bike that accelerates faster out of corner.

Mongo those Formula USA 250s were ridden by Kenny Jr and Robbie Peterson weren't they?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't remember if Junior ever rode the big bike class, I do remember him and Alan Scott taking each other out just about every weekend (it wasn't the same as Kurtis though). Robbie Peterson and Rich Oliver did the 250's in the FUSA class, they also did the 500's.

Granted they are at one extreme of 250 rider however I have to base the rules on what the bike can do, not what the riders who normally race them can do. I'm ocncerned with what would happen if we make the rule then someone like RIch comes and dominates - what happens then? I can't go back on a rule until the next rulebook so we'd be stuck.

I'm very much lenaing towards B Super since I know a Superbike can beat a 250 - however the vast majority of our B Super class is 600s not built 750s.

Again with the dilemna....

11. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

I remember the 500's being at Shannonville and one of them got launched big time off of turn one in the wet. They just couldn't get the power down smooth in the rain but in the dry they were wild to see. I remember Peterson but I thought it was Roberts Junior that was there that weekend not Oliver. Missing brain cells I guess. :D

12. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Hmmm...sounds like the people who ride 600s in that class' problem to me. :D

13. TZ925

I gotta be careful what I wish for. I checked both National and Regional schedules and on both the 600 Superbike race immediately follows the F2 event. This would diminish my desire to enter the 600 race unless the schedule was juggled. Asking to be allowed in a class AND have the schedule changed sounds like a bit much, but let's see where this goes.

Here's some info to evalute:
    AMA Brainerd this year, qualifying time for first and fifth:
    750 Super Stock 1:40.6 - 1:41.3
    600 Super Sport 1:41.1 - 1:42.3
    250 GP 1:42.8 - 1:44.7

AMA Laguna this year 1st-5th
    750 Super Stock 1:30.1 - 1:30.6
    600 Super Sport 1:29.7 -1:30.3
    250 GP 1:29.6 - 1:30.7

AMA Mid Ohio 1st-5th
    750 Super Stock 1:31.0 - 1:31.9
    600 Super Sport 1:45.7 -1:46.7 WET TRACK
    250 GP 1:31.6 - 1:35.3

Yes, a properly ridden 250 is still competitive with the 4 bangers with the right rider. The Horsepower to weight advantage continues to swing in the 4 strokes direction. 250's haven't gained but a few HP over the past few years and haven't really shed much weight. Look at how much more power and less weight the 600's have now compared to let's say 1997? 10 more horsepower and 40 less pounds? It's significant.

The 600's will beat the 250's to turn one 9 out of 10 times. From there on out it would be a good race.

At most of the tracks we've been to for the WERA National Challenge this year the top 250 guys have been within a second or three of the fastest 600's.

Top 2 or 3 F2 riders best times this year:
    No Problem = high 1:17's -mid 18's
    NFMP = mid 1:21's- mid 22's
    Putnam = low 1:14's-15's
    VIR = high 1:32's to 34's
    Roebling = high 1:16's to mid 17's (best F2 race of the year!)
    Tally = mid 1:01's to low '02's
    Summit = mid 1:18's to mid 19's

Again, it's not like there are 20 GP guys ready to come and fill the 600 Superbike grid but it may help some of the guys consider keeping or buying a 250 if there were more classes to run.

Monty

14. Philip_37

Philip_37 No soup for you!

Let the 250s run in HW Twins

What about the 'ole 250 GP in HW Twins debate? Personally I think the GP bikes should be allowed to run in HW Twins. After all a 250 GP bike is a twin! And as Mongo stated earlier in the thread a superbike is capable of beating a 250. So since HW Twins in now under superbike rules let the 250s come and play. Interestingly enough the defacto rules for HW Twins already include 250 GP bikes since the expert points leader in the NC region is a RS250 pilot.