Nov/Xprt rules

Discussion in 'General' started by jtroyh, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

I've read WERA's rules on the novice to expert "promotion" and I've won a championship in my region(mid-central) and may not make the GNF. I KNOW what the book says.

I know Mid-central is not as tough as Southeast, but that's what I ran. I don't want to get bashed for this.

What I want to know is, what is appropriate for me to do, or the "Gentleman's Rules" on the matter.

Should I petition to stay a nov or am I expected to go expert.
    I know I may be ridiculed and belittled if I stay Nov, but it seems many others do.

Now,let 'em rip.

2. Martin M

Martin M Former BRP Rider

What ??

That's it for you. You are going up !:p
    If you won the champ., why would you want to stay novice :confused: ?

3. mcoker

mcoker Well-Known Member

pull my finger first :p

4. kasey ray

kasey ray k-raycing

why not move on up? more $ & if you have fast competition, then you go fast. i was going to petition to go white plate mid-season but i put myself on my head a couple of times. i didn't want to hear Sean give me a rash of sh*t, & didn't ask. turns out i needed more time as a jr. if you feel you need more time, pull a ted/ed & race CCS. otherwise, search out better competition for you to beat. by the way congrats on your championship.(no sarcasm meant in the last sentence).

5. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

The reason to stay is obvious. To get a little better before I throw myself in with the big dogs. I will still be getting faster by chasing the same nov. guys and others for wins, instead of my top ten's.

As I said, it seems popular to stay novice. Most of the guys I've learned to keep pace with have done it. OH, the contingency money too.

This is the first year I've raced a whole season. I made 4 races over the 3 years prior.

BTW- next year I won't get to race, so I'll be taking a year off(new job) before I get to enter an expert race. This has a lot to do with my question, I simply forgot to metion that in the first post.

I really thought I'd be flamed to death by now.
    Maybe everyone's out loading they're trailers.
    We'll see in the morning.

6. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If you won a championship, you need to grow some balls and step up to expert. NO OFFENSE but I doubt the year off thing escaped your mind while typing your post . Sounds to me like CYA.
    If you finished top 10 as a novice and were safe(didnt crash someone or yourself every weekend) doing it you need to move up.

7. Martin M

Is this that time of the year again ?

If you are going to take next year off then you won't be needing a racing license anyway so why worry ?
    Kasey going to experts next year ?
    I think I should petition and stay nov. next year, you know I need the cont. money and shit:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

Hey BC, KMA and FU. If you know what I mean.

It did escape me. I ntended to type it right after the part about missing the GNF since my training starts just weeks before the GNF.

"No offense", FU again.

Your opinion about moving up is the only info I was looking for and the only part I'll pay any further attention to.
    That part, I thank you for.

9. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

Mongo, please don't ban me for my alphabet soup here.
    I just had a moment and it shouldn't happen again.

I'm sorry.

10. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I'm new at racing, but this is my opinion.

If you are saying that you ARE NOT winning races, just top tens, and you won the championship because you went to all of the races and others did not, you might be right in wanting to stay novice. Now if you were consistent top three, by all means I'd say you were ready for the white plate.

Now I'm on your side, so I'll wait to be flamed, too.

See Ya,

Darrin Talbott

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

No problem , It just seemed odd that such pertinate info eluded You when you were seeking advice, kinda like the fact that you were supposed to take the year off will have eluded your piers when they are calling you an f-ing cherry-picker if you stay novice.

12. kasey ray

kasey ray k-raycing

i feel as though half the novice crowd should be in the xrpt. ranks right now. even matt!. i'll go xprt, gladly & with bells on(like a harley rider). i destoyed 2 bikes in '98. raced once in 2000 (won) & that's why brad gives me sh*t about sandbagging. i think more xprtly but track time is novice. i ain't gonna step back after this year. know when to move on. my future is unclear, but even if i race only with the blue moon it's gonna be clean, relaxed & as an xprt. $.02

13. Martin M

Kasey, nobody knows what the future holds but one thing is for sure - the exp. grids will be quite bigger next year. Just look at them (LWT clases) exp. grids now, there is just a few of them compared to nov. The healthy nov. grids we are having this year should boost the exp. class quite a bit for next year:).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  14. 9mil

9mil Yea, that's right

WHAT?

Here is your flame:

As it stands right now you are first in B super, Bstock, Csuper and C stock - what in the hell are you talking about staying novice - why would you even consider it? - you stand to win 4 regional champs. - and by some large margin at that- I don't want to get into a pissing match but take your skirt off- no offense ladies-

Just wondering - do you have a 750 and a 600 or just a 600?

9mil
    Phil Fortune

15. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Jtroyh, you need to move up. I did the same thing you're talking about. I won a novice championship in 2000, took the year off in 2001, and came back to race expert in the 600 class in 2002. If one of your reasons is to stay down for the contingency $, then go back and read all the threads that covered that. Thats a weak reason.

16. UGA Dawg

UGA Dawg Fertile Member

Dude, Move up. You'll learn so much from riding with guys that are faster than you. Trust me, I know. This is my first expert season ( after one novice season) and I have had some problems, but I have had a few moments of greatness. You'll be fine in the expert ranks. However, keep in mind that small mistakes in the novice classes are OK. In the expert class, a missed shift can cost you the race. The front runners are pretty much equal in talent and any small mishap can really cost you.

17. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

Hey Troy, buck the memphis "tradition" and move up. You earned it. You'll learn more following the really fast guys for a little while than you would beating the kinda fast guys for another season. And if you happen to find out you don't belong there, you can always petition to move back down.

Mark G

18. CamCool

CamCool Beer is good food

I agree that sometimes it seems like many have stayed novice a little too long. They shouldn't have in most cases. Move up. I am NOT going to win any championships (top 3 :D ) and I would not consider staying down. I will get beat in the expert class. If I stay down, I will get beat by new novices too! Hell I will probably get beat by novices when I get my white plates. White plates are cool take your lumps and move up the expert classes seemed to be pretty thin at a lot of races, lets all graduate together.

19. jtroyh

jtroyh Well-Known Member

Most of you confirmed what I thought. Moving up is the right thing to do.

BTW- I believe I won the championship due to making/finishing the most races. I am not slow. But I am not kicking ass either.

I have an blindingly fast 2000 R6 only. Stock susp. though.

I must give credit to my boss/owner of the shop I work at here in Memphis. Jimmy at Dobbs Moto. We spent countless long nights working and discussing rules and spent some of his $ to get it right.

OMT- This bike will be for sale after the GNF and possibly before if the offer is good.
    I must do some research to see what it's worth before I throw a price out there. I'm gonna lose my ass, it's a matter of how bad though.

Again, thanks everybody.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - I thought it was funny you got pissed off knowing full well that's the type of repsonse you'd get on this subject ;)