1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North Carolina BBQ??

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All Q is good - they're just different.

2. eurobiketrash

eurobiketrash Well-Known Member

even the Mongo--lian BBQ?:D

3. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Mine is better and different, bitches. Eating leftovers from this weekend. mmmm good. :up:

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Some is better than others. I had some at a place in KC near the Negro League Hall of Fame that was some of the best I ever had.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  5. Gigantic

KC Q is a different animal entirely.

6. prillernut

prillernut New Member

spoken like a true follower of the pig [​IMG] - with this glowing recommendation, we'll have to try this joint out -

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Where in Raleighwood? I'll have to visit next time I visit Mom. I usually pick up a stash to take home for medicinal purposes.

8. scotth

scotth Banned

oh...just oh...

mongo, one meeeeeeelion dollars to the a.f.f. to ban this foo'!

well, okay, how about $20 and he has to sit out today for blasphemy?

listen here, acree, in order of deliciousness, it's mustard and vinegar tied (or mixed together), then girly ketsup-based, and then only on babybacks.

this is canonical law. heathen.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have to confess, I've only had this version from Maurice's near US 1 in Columbia. My experience there was not one that makes me interested in a return visit. Got a better suggestion? Oh, and eastern NC Q is infinitely better than either of the two concoctions you mentioned.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh definitely - but you can't really compare the different styles to each other, just compare different Q peeps within a style to each other.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not a fan of mustard based either - and Maurice is a nasty person who I'll never give money to.

I like molasses based sauces if I use sauce but Q is like steak, shouldn't need a sauce.

12. Gigantic

the sauce I make is both vinegar & molasses based, with a unique blend of spices. The molasses really puts it over.

13. scotth

scotth Banned

eastern n.c. 'que is vinegar 'que. coastal eastern n.c. and s.c. (as I'm told) is mustard (which is mustard and vinegar mixed into a slurry) 'que.

tomato 'que is canadian 'que and should be avoided unless desperation has set in. :D

you should never need a sauce. if you do, vinegar-only sauce and mustard sauce are tied in order of deliciousness. tomato-based sauce is for spaghetti and is useful only as a glaze for my babybacks for my wife and son, and then only if for some reason they have a hankering for other-than-the-k.c. masterpiece-based-glaze. I will have it inscribed on tablets as such when I am king.

as far as widely available sauce, smokey bones has the best mustard sauce I've had from a chain. not awesome, but passable. otherwise, I'd be happy to hook you up with some of mine if you get to jennings sometime.

oh, blasphemer. :D

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

True, but peeps been having this arguement since long before it got to the BBS.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. Had it on here many times before as well :D

16. Gigantic

my barbecued Lamb never gets sauce. I won't even let people try to put sauce on it.

17. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Yeah, this place is always good for the BBQ debate. This time it hasn't yet reached the point where Skyline chili is brought up. :D

18. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

Just to clear it up, eastern Carolina bbq is vinegar, not mustard-based. I haven't seen anything else east of Goldsboro. Then there's Western, or Lexington-style. I still think KC-style bbq ham and beef sandwiches from Hayward's with steak fries is a distant first over anything vinegar and then mustard-based. It's more whole hog here (white and dark meat chopped/pulled together). There is the Skylight Inn in Ayden, that I ain't tried yet, that claims National Geographic's title as best in the world.

19. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

The Pit is where Nanas Chophouse used to be on Davies st downtown. 919-890-4500

I'm eating the leftovers today for lunch.:)

20. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Jacks Stack, Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joe's are some of Kansas City's finner BBQ places. But I do love that Carolina style too. There's a place along the Blue Ridge Parkway that has Carolina style pulled pork with cheese between two corn meal pancakes. One of the best dishes ever. -Snack