1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2003 SV v. other 2nd gen SVs

Discussion in 'Tech' started by (diet)DrThunder, Dec 14, 2007.

1. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

What are the differences? I know that the 2003 had a rep as having cranks that failed sometimes. Was there ever a definitive answer for why that was, and how to fix it? The one I've got was rebuilt from the crank up my Full Spectrum Racing in FL...I'm gonna ask them too, but I wanted other views on it.

I think the radiator might be wider...and I see where 2003 pipes only fit 2003 bikes (not newer ones). Why is that?

What other differences are there (if any) between the 2003 model and the 2004-2006? I know the 2007 has dual plugs, and maybe other stuff...

Thanks!

2. Bird

Bird Well-Known Member

Dave,
    The only difference is the sub frame. It is taller on the 03, and for 04 they changed the angle to get the seat height down and that is why the part number on the pipe is different. It takes a different bracket to mount it.

3. (diet)DrThunder

Cool...that might actually work in my favor, if it gives a little more seat-to-peg space.

4. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I got a '03 SV and the extra leg room is nice. I was thinking of getting a taller seat made up or going to a superbike tailsection... but I think I am a bit to big for the Superbike Tail section to hold up.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I have an '03 also but unlike you guys I plan to go to a shaved down seat so I can get lower into the bike for a lower COG.

7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

the transmission is also different. the 03 needs the shift kit to make it work better like the newer motors. i have an 03 bottome end on my desleeved bike, and it shifted like dookie after riding the 06. but the shift kit made it better.

you can also get the pipes to work on all year models too. i've just slid the can hanger around to make it work, then its no big deal. the 03 also has some slight wiring differences, i know the fuel pump connector is different.

bottom line dave....your bike will probably blow up before you get it out of the trailer. :D

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

just shaft and couple extra parts.
    cases are 03 specific.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Cases are 03 specific? I presume the main frame isn't different then.

10. TWF2

it is inside the cases.everything is interchangeable as long you use 03 cases and tranny shaft.
    you can't use 04 and up tranny shaft in 03 cases.

11. PitBoy

PitBoy Well-Known Member

Dont waste your money on the Factory shift kit. All you need is an 05 shift star, detent arm and detent spring. It bolts right in, I've done two bikes that way. The one you have Dave should already have it done from the previous owner.

Ben

12. Major

Major Well-Known Member

+1, and its about half the price of the Factory shift kit.

13. (diet)DrThunder

Gotcha...I remember you telling me that the trans was all set up in it...thanks!

Thanks all for the info...figured I'd better learn about these thangs if Ima gonna race one.

:rock:

14. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

thats what i meant. i didnt do the full kit either.

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It will probably be sold before it ever makes it to a track

16. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Does this work on the 1st gen SV's too? I've got a 99 and the shifting is really heavy/clunky.

17. TWF2

it works on 99-04

18. (diet)DrThunder

You might want to look into your trans...I've owned and raced 2 1st gen SV's and both shifted like butter. You might have something in there that needs fixin'. I did notice on both bikes that if the chain was a little loose, it made a big difference in the shifting effort...if you're a super-loose chain guy, you might want to go a little tighter (not too tight obviously) and see if it makes a difference.

19. mausito

mausito Member

interesting info.
    i'm just in the process of buying an 03 race sv. Seller mentioned that the 03 crank problem occured within the first 2000-3000km (~1200-1400miles), i don't doubt him but I'm crossing my fingers that this is accurate.

I can't change the specs of the engine (bore-stroke), would a port and polish add a bit more crispness??

20. (diet)DrThunder

What, like if it makes it past that mileage, then it's not going to happen at all? If that's what he's saying, he's, um...wrong. The more miles it goes, the closer it is to coming apart...pay accordingly. Now that said, plenty of stock o3's went lots of miles befreo failing...I think Lawd Dart's bike went a few thousand before it popped.