1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoyance of 3% paypal fees...

Discussion in 'General' started by Boaz, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Boaz

Boaz W T F W J D ?

For those of you who charge extra for people paying by paypal I suggest you review your user agreement lest your account be closed:

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

I hate it when people try to "come up" by nickel and diming buyers

2. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

OK then I'll just mark up everything I sell 4% then offer a 4% discount for anyone that pays with check or money order.

3. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Don't use paypal then

4. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I hate PayPal. They froze my account for BS and it took months to clear it up. I won't use them again!

5. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

if i buy something for $150....id rather send $155 instead of going to the bank to get a draft or MO.... costs the same anyways....

6. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yep. Its basically a friggin credit card. the 3% is a merchant fee. When you go to the store and purchase something with Visa, M/C, Discover or whatever other CC, the store youre purchasing it from pays a transaction fee. Do you see this "transaction" fee itemized on your reciept? Nope, but you can damn well bet your ass its included in the price of the item your buying, even IF your paying with cash.

Folks should just get over that 3% crap, either deal with it, or dont use paypal.

7. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

wholeheartedly agree Todd. wurd!:beer:

8. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

It's illegal in most states to do anything other than what Mr Whitehead suggested, I didn't realize this until I was told otherwise :D

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

This is no different than any other merchant cc agreement, just so you know...they all forbid charging extra vis a vis an expicit surcharge for using their particular card or service.

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

Really Dave? where the hell did i just read that? :crackup: :Poke:

11. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Then look at some of your major truckstop diesel prices then...credit price is often posted as higher than cash. Tdub

12. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

I'd rather use paypal and sell my item for $100 instead of $97 or charge $15 S&H instead of $12 rather than mess with checks or money orders.

When buying, if the seller won't take CC, I won't buy from them, so they really lose out.

Like many others have said, it's no different than calling a credit card number in over the phone. That merchant pays too.

13. Boaz

Boaz W T F W J D ?

Paypal user agreement forbids sellers from charging people "paypal" fees so I wonder what type of recourse we (buyers) have when someone tries to charge you their fees. Obviously you can choose not to buy from them, but I wonder what Paypal will do if they start getting complaints about this problem ^^

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

:D Sorry about that

You know, I think that's the second time lately that I did that re: one of your posts. I need to read more carefully :)

15. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

16. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

I usually don't charge pp fee's to buyers for small ticket items $2 here or there doesn't make much of a difference...but for high ticket items where their fee's are rediculous and like $40-50 (like the payment i accepted last night)...i leave the paypal option open, but they'll have to pick up the fee because that's the way the they want to pay typically for speed or to use a credit card. I prefer checks and other methods than paypal, but if a buyer wants to use it at his expense...go right ahead

17. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

I love how you guys compare PAYPAL to a real credit card company.

It's a bill pay company, it's not a short term loan of money.

As a seller it's acceptable on small items, but once the dollar amount reaches about $500, I don't use paypal. The service is too expensive. Or the buyer pays for the convenience.

18. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

sometimes its responding to a post b-4 reading the rest of the replies . especially in long & fast threads . people typing at the same time .:beer:

19. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

+1 , get over it . Welcome to the cashless society and it sucks . Gotta love it when a buyer nickel & dimes you to death over price then whips out a credit/debit card to pay ...Wow , now you have to pay to take his money !

20. the muffin man

the muffin man certified hymen inspector

amen brother, "would you take...whats your best price...is that a shipped price...i'll give you...how about this ridiculously lowball offer despite my having seen your asking price in the thread!!!! oh, and by the way, i'm using paypal and the 3% comes outta your end...!"