1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick queston about tires for a 94 F2

Discussion in 'Tech' started by G2G, Jun 4, 2007.

1. G2G

G2G I feel the need

My girlfriend has a 1994 CBR f2. It has been a while since I have rode or even worked on one but she has pilot powers on there now and she has a 170 in the back.(she needs new tires and she has pilot powers on there right now) Is that tire too big for that bike?? Should I bump her down to a 160??? I know 160's ar a common size cuz i use them on my race sv's. She could use my take offs for trackdays which would be nice. I could have swore the bike came stock with a 160 back in the day. Any help would be app. as I am going to order tires today. :beer: :up:

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

170 is fine
    That's actually what's supposed to be on there. All the tire manufactures stopped making a race 170, so everyone went to 160 or 180.

3. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

What a country! You're both right :up:

160 is the OEM tire size for the '94 F2. In fact, I and some others use that size for our DOT race tires on F2s in V7.

You giving her your take off DOTs would work - IF they're a brand/model that doesn't require being really hot to come in and work on the street. The sexist side of me is presuming it would be for street use.

4. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

A 160 tire is stock. The F2 has a 4.5x17 " rear rim. The F3 has a 5.0x17" rear rim. For some reason stock is 160 on both of them.

I'd put a 160 on.

5. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Cool deal guys. Giving her my take offs for trackdays was what i was going to do but since she is still a beginer and rides her bike mostly on the street a new set of Pilot powers in a 120/160 combo is what I will get ordered for her. Thanks for all the info!!!

6. bikesandcars

bikesandcars Active Member

160 sounds nice, quicker turn in and matches the bike/power :)

pete, is that you ya old goat (Yellow FZR400 you used to run in Nesba?) ??

7. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

go with the 160s. They're redily availible and the bike likes them better than the bigger tires

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

While I agree. It's not a race bike, it's a street bike. So I doubt she's worried about quicker turn in. I know of several people running the Michelin 170s on SVs, Kawi 650s, and F2s, for street and track days.
    Now if it was a choice between 160 and 180, I would go with the 160.

9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yeah i figure a 160 will be cheaper and help here with turn in on the track. Will be ordering them soon. Thanks Gary and all you other guys for the info.

10. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

160,170 not really a big deal.Personal choice. I use a 170 on the street,165 for race.

Do NOT use a 180 on an F2 or F3 rear wheel.

11. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Hey Chris, that would be me. Doing any NESBA events this year?