1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed Triple or Duc Monster

Discussion in 'General' started by complxd, Apr 20, 2003.

1. complxd

complxd Well-Known Member

I havent been on here in a couple of days. Thanks everyone for your opinions and arguments. I am still leaning toward the S3 but I havent completely deceided. I havent sat on or riden either bike, so I may deceide when I do those. Thanks again for all the responses, and I look forward to all other comments or suggestions.

2. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Ride both bikes, drink a few beers, sleep on it, and then make up your mind :D

You shouldn't have any problems finding a S3 to take on a demo ride because Triumph really stresses to it's dealers to let the consumer ride the bike.

3. complxd

How much have the S3 changed between 99-present? If I ride a new one, will the 99-02 be much different? I keep hearing people say how small the Duc feels. Is it that small, compaired to, say an SV? I am an average size guy, 6'0 175, will the Duc feel that small?

4. daytona

daytona Well-Known Member

99-01 there have been moderate changes the 02 has changed alot. The engine is putting out more HP the cases have been pressure diecast now instead of sand cast the throttle bodies have changed the fuel management system has been changed also, body styling has change along with the gauge package. I think with your height and weight the Spd III will probably be better suited for your needs but try both. Like I said earlier Triumph is offering $1000 cash back on the bikes as we speak, 2 year unlimited mileage Warranty comes standard and most dealers will let you test ride them. Hope that helps.
    John

:beer:

5. daytona

You should be able to go over to Cycle Riders of Orlando or I can give you a couple of other dealers in the area if you need the info.

6. complxd

Thanks. The reason i ask about the other years is because I didn't plan on buying one new. The only problem is I havent found many used S3. I plan on going to cycle riders tomorrow. They have a 00 M750 for sale for $5000, which I will look at.

7. daytona

if you wanted a used one might be able to get you a demo bike we have a Tractor Trailer drive around the country doing demo's and when we rotate the stock we sell the bikes. We might have 1 or 2 left in the office. Let me know or pm me.

John

8. complxd

Yea, that would be cool if you could check on that for me. What are the usual specifics; mileage, price, etc?

9. jbeerbox

jbeerbox New Member

Who knows John Bierbach

I know John Bierbach

10. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

The Ducati has had many revisions too.

Monsters are always evolving. You should really consider what you want to do with it. I have a customer that couldn't get much for his trade in and the Trumpet shop gave him almost new retail for his trade towards a sped triple. They have crazy low blowout prices on the new models all the time. I am not sure why but it seems that the Triumphs are always on sale in central PA. The Tri dealers are always coming and going too. If it's too pricey, the other half of the showroom is filled with Zongshen and some other metal clanging sound name brand from China.
    The Ducatis are usually close to retail until they are past one year old then they give a specific rebate deal and then it goes away forever. The dealer has no inscentives after that. Check out a Monster 1000 or S2R-1000. They are the most bang for the buck with a little under 100hp, dry clutch that lets more power get to the ground (ever try to run in a swimming pool? Your clutch tries to run at high rpm in a pool of oil on wet clutches), The s2r1k get most cool factor with fully adjustable suspension, Marchesini 5 spoke wsbk type wheels, trellis aluminum single sided swingarm, Magura aluminum fat taper bars for vibration dampening and a shotgun dual exhaust. I agree you should check out both bikes before you buy. Even if you buy used. Do the research and find out what you like MOST. The bike you like the looks of the most is the one you will try to ride the most. If you do your homework you will know if it suits your riding needs. The only way to get your money's worth out of a motorcycle is to RIDE it. Just make sure you get the one you will ride the most and ejoy all the way to and from where you are headed. PS, Your local dealer for Ducati should have a demo bike available because the factory did a demo deal for all Monsters to be available for qualified tests.
    Additional note: Ducati dealers all have a spec sheet for reference that shows all hp ratings for all models of their bikes along with weights and prices and other neat info. It is broken down into graphs and charts too to make it fun to compare. You might want to get a copy from your buddy at the local Duc shop. If you don't have a buddy there yet, Make one. Demo days are a blast!
    Still kickin,
    Tim Carroll
    Fast Rice Racing

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

see date of original post.:rolleyes: