1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former Young Guns...

Discussion in 'General' started by Cannonball39, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

There were 3 former young guns noted to "have chosen to pursue professional dirt track careers" in the latest RRW.

Any idea why? I know the avg club racer supposedly lasts 2 seasons but for young kids who have experienced successful careers early on, why leave the roadracing circuit so soon?

Is it due to lack of money, sponsorship, opportunity to take it to the next level or what?

???

2. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I had to chuckle...This is a common subject on the DT forums...how many top up and coming kids give up DT to pursue RRing. Tdub

3. Cannonball39

I don't know shit about dirt track besides the constant mentioning that "Nicky Hayden" (amongst others) started with DT. That right there is enough to flip a few kids to RRing, I guess.

It always seems as if dirtbike/dirt track riding has more support, earning potential, etc than RR though.

4. Chip

Chip Registered

and one statement proves the other...

Dirt Track is not "Dirtbike." MX and SX have huge earning potential....dirt track has almost zero.

To quote one of the most successful dirt trackers of all time this weekend. "Hey, I'm a dirt tracker....I'm here for the free food, the fact there is race going on is just a bonus.."

5. Cannonball39

Yeah, I messed up tying those two together huh? So with that in mind, is it safe to say that DT and RR are both money pits with a glass ceiling so a kid may as well go where his/her heart is?

6. alpinestars260

alpinestars260 supermoto Member

it just sucks spending all of your money, and you still come up short..

7. Cannonball39

What dreams are made of, huh?

8. Chip

Chip Registered

There is earing potential in RR that is why all the young dirt track kids come here. Not like it is in MX or SX...but its there.

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

MUCH more so than Dt.

10. Cannonball39

So back to my original question? Why DT over RR? Especially after some success?

11. Chango Malo

Chango Malo Well-Known Member

Jesse Janisch, the kid with the Harley dealer dad and some other guy?

12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Read the cribs section in the current RRW. RR beats DT as far as earning potential.
    Jeff Wood rocks, btw. One of the nicest guys in the business.
    Lot's of talent, no ego.

13. Cannonball39

That's another one of those eye opening editions of cribs... To say the least.

14. leviathan

leviathan Well-Known Member

No what was really eye opening was riding MX in 20 degree weather! Swarts made a huge huge error in his reporting (that jerk ;)) Not everyone was on studded winter tires.... fyi frozen knobbies on a frozen track = no traction.

I'd love to see Jeff on the EMGO team, granted different tires, but man, I think that'd be a great pairing with Geoff May.

Big up to Narbonne, Hudson, and PJ young gunning it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  15. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Jesse earned his National number in DT last year. He grew up DTing and I remember the first time he came to the track...his dad and I raced DT Quads together and Jesse made his first appearance at the track at about 2-3 weeks old!
    Payton's dad was a HD Factory rider. Payton and his brother Brett were naturals when they finally started DTing and were actually quite good with several podiums at the Amateur Nationals.
    One of the biggest surprises to me was Nick Cummings, who after winning the Formula USA #1 GNC(combined RR and DT) a few years ago, returned to Dt. He also has earned his DT National number and has been fast qualifier at several GNC races. He also grew up in DT as his dad ran the top privateer team(Davis, Atherton, Hayden, etc.) and owned a HD shop.
    One of DT biggest and most recent losses is Bonsey. This kid is absolutely phenominal on dirt, in my opinion faster than Nicky was when he was dting. Stevie was/is National #1 material in the dirt and I would suspect he will be back.
    The consensus with DT at the National level is it isn't going anywhere. Next to no money in either purse or contingency. I guess you just have to love it and have the special talent it requires. JMO Tryce

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nick (Cummings) did roadracing and from what I heard didn't have the support and wasn't quick enough out of the gate, so he went back dirt tracking (from what I know/heard). Real nice kid and was super fast on his 125 when we raced in the same classes together.

From an article I read on RRX not long ago, it looks like he wants to get back into roadracing though ..

17. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Yeh, there were a few factors contributing to Nick returning to DT. He will do well whatever he puts his mind too. He joined a new team this year and I think that will benefit him greatly in several ways. His new team owner could be a big influence on him. He definately has the talent.
    I just picked up Nick's '02 RS for my new rider. I built and tuned Nick's Dters when he was an amateur. He is 3rd(I think) on the all time Amateur National win list(behind Schnabel and Pegram) and a Horizon Award winner. Good Kid! Tryce

18. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Bubba had his Bentley which rolls on dubs at Daytona.
    Spies just bought a condo at the W in downtown Dallas.
    The dirt track champ supersized my meal.

nuff said.

19. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I wouldn't go quite that far, unless Big Mac is paying 6 figure salaries these days. The top pros make good money, but it doesn't go very far down the list.

20. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

the average club racer lasts 2 seasons?? never heard that before but it is an interesting statistic