1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowboarding Threads

Discussion in 'General' started by Mitch, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Concerned_Party

Concerned_Party Well-Known Member

TheHouse.com is an awesome place to get almost anything snowboard related. Not only do they have quality products at a great price, but they have free shipping and a lot of times they throw free shit in with your order (i.e. sunglasses, stickers...).

On the boots/bindings setup I suggest you get some DC boots with the BOA lacing system. I just got the "Judge" boot and spent 8 days in Utah on them and they were absolutely amazing. On the bindings, I would have recommended Flow Bindings, but after all the mishaps I've had with my fairly new Flows I don't know if I'd recommend those to anyone ever. I know some people whose Flows work great, but others, like me, have had nothing but problems with them. I've gone through about 4 defective high backs on them already and they just keep breaking. Flow keeps sending me replacement parts because they know this model is defective, kinda makes you wonder if they know this model is defective... I almost broke my ankle because of them once, and the problems just keep happening. Anyway, you can always be sure that the old school strap in bindings are going to give you great all around performance in areas like support, ease of use, and overall durability.

2. Flow bindings are convient for getting in and out, but dont give you the control of the Burton Cartels or other similar bindings.

3. GOOCH

GOOCH Invisible Bully

Please keep all of this information coming. :up: I know very little and just picked up a Ride Decade earlier in the week. I was going to go check out the Ride boots and bindings as well. I need some gear as well but I need to try stuff on in person, so I 'll check out the local shops.

As was said earlier, I had a hard time deciding which boards were decent. I was very tempted to purchase an Arbor Roundhouse, but it was a little more than I wanted to spend.

4. aaldape

aaldape Well-Known Member

From what I have heard people LOVE or HATE the flows, so it should be something you decide based on a demo ride or something. I haven't tried them so I have no insight.

As for your new setup, I am partial to Ride bindings (although my current ones are Technines, my next set will be Ride), since they are very sturdy, well built, high quality, yadda yadda, look very good, etc.

The BOA system comes on a lot of newer boots, and is convenient because it is sturdy, fast, and easily adjustable. I have some K2 T1 boots that have the BOA on the inner liner, which work really well for a snug fit, ELIMINATING heel lift, and they loosen easily while you ride up the lift.

I haven't owned Burton Boots, but their new ones look like they are very good quality and have convenient "speed lacing" or something like that. It is all about how well a specific boot/board/binding setup works for you. And since there are millions of combo's, you should be able to find something you like.

5. BoyRacer549

BoyRacer549 I was a Spider Monkey!

I just picked up (like less than a week ago) a new Burton Twin (157) with Burton Co2 bindings. The bindings are awsome, they offer the quality of stiff bindings without the discomfort. I just got this set up. I have 32 Forecast boots, they have the most stiff sole out of all the boots out there. I love them, of course I hate flexy boots. I have new Oakley gear. I love it, its light weight, but really warm. Almost like a Goose down, material. I just went to Northstar in Tahoe for seven days, I wasnt cold once.

Just my 2 cents....

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I hate you in case you were wondering. :p

7. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

my ankles are fubar so I need stiff boots. I wish I could try the softies. I go up to Whistler a lot.

Attached Files:

8. BoyRacer549

HAHA...Dont fool yourself I am just trying to stay busy until I can race.....(yeah that is a good reason.....):up:

9. BoyRacer549

I just hate to feel of the soft boots. I like the stiff sole, It seems to give me more control.

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

i got the bad ankles too but i try to go with a stiff boot and some bindings that offer good support. i just cant dig the idea of the clicker bindings though. i would like to try the flow bindings where they strap over the top of the foot. i was in summit county at a few places over the holidays and saw a butron custom x on sale at a shop in breckenridge and i must say it is the sweetest board ever. as stated before... burton sets the standard for snowbaording.

11. seven158

seven158 Well-Known Member

I've ridden only burton sevens since I've started (hence, the screen name, seven 158cm). they used to be analog seven, back when burton tried to make analog its own separate division. I've also got burton cartel bindings, and I do like the toe caps. my boots are burton ion's, much more comfortable than the DC's i started out on. as far as flow bindings go, a couple of my friends use them, and they like them. i still prefer the strap ins. once you are good at strapping in, the flows will only save you a couple of seconds, and i dont think they offer the feedback of strap-ins. and there has got to be a reason that no pro-snowboarders use flows, right? (unless there are some now....) although i'd take flows over step-ins any day of the week.

if i were to switch to a new brand of board, i would definitely go with capita. you might want to check them out too....

and mitch, i know you said you were going to go to modern, but i'd give TWC a try as well, good selection and knowledgeable staff. ask for Brian, he's a good guy and knows his stuff.

12. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

when I go I just rent, you can get the latest and greatest equiment and can also demo different stuff while your there if the shop is close enough. I just pretend that Im looking to buy something and wanna try out the boards first. I hate travelling with board bags. Plus you can hammer the shit out of their stuff and just hand it back to them and say thanks.

13. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

ok. I only said Modern cuz I thought Keego Harbor was somewhere on the west coast of michigan (maybe I was thinking benton harbor?). I googled it and its right up the street from where I work. holy shit. I'll head over there tomorrow at lunch.

14. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Finally, a topic I know a little something about.

IMO the Burton Boot/Binding combo is the best in the industry, at the very least choose Burton for your footwear. The other binders I recommend are Technines, Salomon and if you're into the Flow type of binding go with K2's Cinch binders. At any rate, compared to the clickers you're riding now anything you buy is going to be an immense upgrade.

As for boards, I'm a huge fan of Mervin boards, both Gnu and Lib Tech. They give awesome feedback and turn oh-so nicely. The Magne-Traction Lib boards work great on variable snow or ice. Never Summer boards are Cadillac like in the ride, turn well and are unbreakable (most of my friends in Jackson Hole ride them for this very reason). I have also heard that this Burton is the bomb diggity from my buddy who travels the world shooting snowboarding photos for Transworld Snowboarding.

Clothing, Bonfire, DC (if you can find something that isn't "gangsta style") and Burton (there's that word again) are good choices. Columbia is making some good stuff these days at cheaper prices than most. You should buy a good first layer (never wear cotton) and get some light to midweight fleece for a mid layer. This will pull the sweat off you and keep you warmer. Good goggles are a must have as well. I prefer Bolle Screams, you cannot get them to fog.

Get ahold of me before you come out, I'll give you the locals tour of Vail and Beaver Creek and get you into some good snow and terrain. :up:

15. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Is there any snow there? It only just got really cold in teh NE this week. My cousin is the head of ski patrol a5t Sugarbush, and I think he's worked about 10 days this year so far.

16. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

www.goboardgo.com

It's a local shop here in Asheboro. The owners name is Greg, give him a call he's a super nice guy, tell him I sent ya :up:

17. dr apex 27

dr apex 27 4&6 racing-ask us first

you want a shop near you......................

I used to run a ski and snowboard shop and it is way to easy to get lost in the mess that is the internet. First you need to try some boots on, everyone of them fits differntly and what maybe the best fit in the industry for my foot is the worst for yours. The other problem we had with snowboard boots was that the boot liners were really poor. Now they have all improved on that but look for companies that actually have a long rep for quality liners. Salomon for example because of their ski boots really know how to make liners, again this goes back to try some on. Also the boots may need to be modified to fit properly we saw a ton of people wearing boots way to big because it was more comfy but they would complain the performance sucked. So have them sized correctly if you measure a 9 and wear an 11 shoe you should start with a 9 and work up till the fit is snug but comfortable. but at most a 10 as the boots do break in. Another way to improve the boot is to get a custom insole, just like in a ski boot. This will stabilize the foot and give you a stronger platform to ride on. The weak ankle issue can also be helped greatly with an insole. I hope this helps.
    whit

18. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

thanks for the advice

last night I picked up some Ion boots, Cartel bindings, AK gortex jacket/pants, and a new pair of gloves. I can't believe how friggin light these boots are, and the speed lacing kicks a lot of ass. seems like prices on gear has gone up a bit in the last 7 years. I spent four figures last night...

19. aaldape

aaldape Well-Known Member

Ouch! At least you'll have some bad ass stuff! That's why I shop on last year's clearance racks... :up:

20. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

and I'm gonna keep this stuff for the next decade like my last set-up. I can justify the cost when I look at how much use I got out of my current gear. plus, I still spent less than what a weekend at the track costs me.:D