1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

exhaust wrap

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dragovolante, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dragovolante

dragovolante drago volante racing

is exhaust wrap legal if your in the superstock races?
    and does it actually add hp?

2. GSXAAARGH

GSXAAARGH Pilot

CHAPTER NINE
    COMPETITION CATEGORIES
    SUPERSTOCK RULES
    ff) You may replace the exhaust system with an aftermarket system. Pipe wrap is allowed.

and it could add some hp

3. dragovolante

thanks man

4. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

Don't wrap if the exhaust is titanium.

5. dragovolante

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

they say the trapped heat makes the Ti brittle.

7. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

The trapped heat will make any metal brittle.

8. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

I've got a full Yosh system with a carbon can, can I wrap just the mid pipe? Its baking the paint off the bodywork and I'd like to stop it.

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

if there's any documentation from the theys that claim this occurs, i'd like to see it.
    consider who experienced a failure first hand. what kind of Ti, or other metal, failed for them and how did it fail? how did they wrap the pipe? was rain a factor - getting the pipe hot in the pits then dousing it on the track? something gave rise to this but, what exactly?

i wrap mine tight, wet and overlap half the tape width. after wrapping, i remount the pipe and start the bike to dry the tape. never had a problem wrapping from head to cannister...Ti or stainless...rain or shine.
    someone show me the science telling me how i've gone wrong...

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The best option that I can suggest is to line the lower portion with a reflective heat blanket. You can get them from Speed Shops and it deflects radiant heat.

My TLR lower was eaten through several times until I wrapped the mid portion. However, when I did wrap the exhaust from header to mid I noticed that the bike held more heat and performed negatively.

When it comes to titanium, it will deteriorate, but all metals will over time. Titanium headers on twins will be the subject hear because of the immens heat the rear cylinder maintains.

On 4 cylinders the exhaust receive colling help from the air rushing through and around the radiator. Twins don't get that and many will use a stainless steel headpipe as they seem to last longer than the ti.