1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snowboarding Threads

Discussion in 'General' started by Mitch, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

I need to replace my snowboarding pants/jacket. What's a decent online shop and what brand is making good stuff these days (my pants/jacket are 8 years old, so I'm a little out of the loop). Also, I'm going to ditch my clicker bindings and get soft boots. recommendations on boots or bindings?? I only ride big stuff anymore, so step ins don't have the appeal they did when I learned to ride in Michigan...

2. myNAMEisMUDD

myNAMEisMUDD i like the sound of that

i've always had good luck ordering from The House www.the-house.com. Dunno about what brands, but i've always liked Black Dot.

3. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

TTT
    all these kneedraggers and only one other knuckledragger? come on guys... maybe I should go buy a couple boarding rags and see what's getting hot reviews? and here, I thought this bbs new everything. I guess that mainly applies to potato launchers and guitars...:D

4. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

And everything computer, political and food related. Oh yeah, and how to eliminate virtually any kind of pest you may need to get rid of! :D

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Got a bee problem, you say?

:D

6. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Burton

7. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

hey, lay off the detail man, I don't have all day to sit here and read the bbs....

8. Tortuga

Burton. Is. Good.

9. Tortuga

I like soft boots too, but with feedback. I got Cartel bindings and they are oh so tasty. I suggest going to the Burton site and following their directions to find the gear thats good for you. Then go to your favorite local shop and look at the stuff and compare it to comperable equip from anyone else.

10. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Yeah, and I've got a trash can, lighter, and a can of gasoline ready to go. How should I go about dealing with 'em??? :D

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have always been a Burton fan. And I have been snowboarding since the late 80's. I stayed away from the vert stuff as the freestyle got way out of hand and the slopes were faster anyway. Plus, I like a longer board.

We used to hit Timber Ridge and Bittersweet quite regularly as it was only a few hour drive. Later I visited friends in Colorado. Totally different atmosphere out there.

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Easy. Go out at night, place trash can (filled with gasoline) beneath nest. Whack nest with stick so that it falls in can. Toss a burning object into can.

Run. Very fast. Try not to knock over person with video camera.

13. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

Leaving for Killington Thursday night, CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. seven158

seven158 Well-Known Member

Burton. You'll pay more, but its worth it, IMHO. All my gear is Burton, although I did have a pair of Foursquare pants, which I really liked.

where in Michigan are you? i swear by TWC (in keego harbor), they have good deals and the service is the best. modern skate has a decent selection of stuff as well.

15. aaldape

aaldape Well-Known Member

There are tons of online shops.

http://www.kingkeyser.com

http://www.sidewayspeople.com

http://www.the-house.com

http://www.valsurf.com

www.surftheearthsnowboards.com

And tons more. Actually Burton is good, but as far as hardware, there are many others that are very good as well. Ride, K2, NeverSummer, LibTech, etc.

Ride makes great bindings and boards. Burton is good, NeverSummer has very high quality boards also (as well as Lib Tech, which are both US made)

DC and ThirtyTwo make good boots, as well as K2, Burton, etc.

There are also the Flow bindings, if you are interested in that style...

Oh, and as far as clothing, Columbia, Burton, Bonfire, Sessions, 4 Square, 686, etc. All are good quality.

I hope any of that helps buddy! I know its hard making a decision between all the options that are available. Sometimes it seems to take just as much money as riding your bike!

16. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Burton is always the standard. However, LibTech and Gnu are good boards made by Mervin Manufacturing out of Seattle I believe. Then a cool alternative is a Arbor. They're a eco-friendly board that really performs. It's all good in the hood now a days with a ton of different choices out there.

For outerwear, Analog is Burton's new clothing line which has some dope stuff. Also, Cappel is back. If any of you OG's remember there ads about ten years ago, you'll remember them. They are owned by Ride Snowboards (good board too) and just came back this past year.

17. I agree Burton makes the best boards bindings boots and gear. I ride a burton blunt with burton cartel bindings and burton ruler boots wich have two cords that you pull so tighten instead of lacing them up. They work very well. I strongly suggest getting bindings that have the tow cup such as the cartel, and a few other models, as the tow cup adds more conrol.I ride halfpipe, rails and jumps, plus freerideing, so I need an all around board, and the blunt works well for me.

As far as gear goes, Burton AK is their best line, and has great water and wind protection. AK is their most expensive line, but is well worth it. If you dont want to spend $500-600 on a suit, burton also makes some cheaper stuff that works well.

You can check all this stuff out at www.store.burton.com.

As far as sizeing goes, I am 5'8 185lbs and wear L in both Jacket and pants from them.

Just went out to breckenridge and keystone last week. I hade a great time out there, and even hiked up to the highest peak in breck at over 13,000 feet. You had to take 3 lifts from the base and then hike another couple hundred verticle feet. I thought I was in good shape until tried hikeing up a 40 degree angle at that altitude. It was kind of scarry hikeing up there, but the view and the ride down were amazing. The rails and jumps were all really well groomed, and on my last day it warmed up to 38 degrees so I was able to ride the 18 foot superpipe.

Good luck with your purchase, and have fun.

18. Mitch

Mitch MV Persistence

word. my boards are mostly k2 at present, and I'm still using the clicker bindings I bought in 98 (I was also a mt bike racer, and the thought of shimano on the mountain with me seemed good at the time - and actually, they're still in perfect shape, I just want more comfort/feedback). I guess I'll go to Modern and see what they have on the floor. I'm heading out to vail/breck/keystone for a long weekend coming up - maybe I should just wait and grab stuff out there (tho pricey it will surely be).
    thanks for the tips fellas.
    (I knew there would be some boarders on here...)

19. There are several shops in Breck with very good selection, and I dont think that they price gouge or anything like that.

20. aaldape

aaldape Well-Known Member

And just to reiterate what someone already said, the toe-cap/cap-strap style of toe straps make a huge difference in comfort and control. I have ridding my old-technines w/ standard toe-straps and the new baltimore tow strap and it makes a huge difference. I Know burton and Technine include this feature on many of their bindings, or you can by the straps separately and essentially ad them to any binding. K2 and Ride also have toe straps that you can use either the traditional way, or like a cap strap. Rock on in CO buddy!