ed cobb...novice for 2001

Discussion in 'General' started by brian, Dec 19, 2000.

1. brian

brian Well-Known Member

ha ha ha i knew that would get some attention! just kidding. i just got my rrw mag. and its amazing that a novice can get his picture in there some 25 or 30 times. well he'll have fun in 2001 up here with the experts.

2. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

That's because he has an inside connection with the Press. Not only do we get italian cams, robes/slippers from Fransico Chilli, but we get the hot shots from Brian J. Nelson and excellent articles from John Ulrich. Boy, when we set out to cheat and cherry pick, we do not stop at the track. The trade rags are for our taking as well.

3. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Dollars well spent I would say. [​IMG]

4. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

Anybody can be famous. All you got to do is win races. It probably helps to start with a fast (new) bike and a good mentor.

Win enough of the right races and that headline could be

"Your Name Here" Beats Roberts, Wins At Podunk Raceway, Becomes Star

JU

5. John Ulrich

You probably should also learn to count, so you can count your contract money accurately. Cobb got 8 photos from the GNF and 4 from the ROC. The deal with the GNF and ROC stories is supposed to be, win a race, get your photo in for winning that race. I think we missed one guy who we didn't have a photo of. Whoever he is, sorry, dude.

JU

6. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

No room for us up-and-coming has-beens, eh?

7. John Ulrich

There's always room. You can make news in a variety of ways. Take Steve, for example. He got banned from CCS, and then resurfaced as a Formula USA official at Daytona after Pace/SFX/(or whatever it is this week) bought CCS. He also did good works with his TSR injured rider fund. Then he insulted my kid and burned up valuable BBS space doing it. See, there are many ways to make news.

JU

8. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Hey Richard,are you guys still getting that stable of TT600's for next season?I talked to Ted about them a few days ago. [​IMG]

9. R Hood

R Hood Go NG Bulldogs

Lets just say, there will be no shortage of scooters to ride. Trick is to be able to ride each bike (no matter the manufacture or cc) and be able to adjust between them. That is going to be the challenge. Ted had been at TGP and rode everything from an Aprilia 250, some Ducati's, a Mille-R, the Suzuki line. Times were very good between all of the bikes. He felt comfortable, but it will be a chore to be able to jump from 1 brand to the next. He has good experience jumping from the GSXR600 to the 750, but lets throw in the 1000 and a couple of other manufactures. We are having FUN and that is the objective...

[This message has been edited by R Hood (edited 12-19-2000).]

10. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

Egads. [​IMG] I guess a million pardons and a thousand years of groveling won't rectify this situation. Just cuz I don't find his writing interesting...

C'mon now, I helped you(TVES) find a new mechanic. If he works out well, can I be excused? Say 6 months of good service, can I be removed from the public flogging stand?

11. brian

brian Well-Known Member

you guys get so serious. it was meant to be a joke. i could care less, thats why i never posted a comment all seaon in the bbs about how ted was cherry picking. i didn't feel he was cherry picking. i felt it was up to the competition to get faster and figure out how to beat him. look at trey in heavyweight twins, is he cherry picking? should he only be aloud to race pro? i don't think so. its up to the other racers to get better and faster. the only way to get faster is to race against faster guys. i feel the best way to race is go to the start line telling yourself that your the fastest guy out there and its up to everyone else to beat YOU. you think when Vince Haskovec went to the start line and seen Tommy Haden there he told himself that he would be racing for second. if he had, thats where he would have finished, 2nd. i go to EVERY race to win, it doesn't matter to me who shows up.

12. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

I try to look at stuff with a sort of scales-of-justice approach. On the left, pain-in-the-ass factor. On the right, perceived benefit. At this time, your perceived benefit outweighs your pain-in-the-ass factor, but you need to work on your sense of humor a little. You worry too much. My kid has been called a lot worse that uninteresting, and so have I.

And the fact that you collect money for injured riders and then actually give it to them, (instead of keeping the money and fleeing to England, for example), makes you almost a road racing saint. A saint with no taste for cutting-edge youthful editorial content, maybe, but a saint none-the-less.

(It's a joke, Steve, a joke. Lighten up.)

JU

13. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

JU are you sure you weren't a comedian before? [​IMG]

14. Mary#622

Mary#622 Member

Hi John,

My profession is marketing and PR. My hobby is racing. I was toying around with doing some feature stories this year and submitting them to various publications including yours. Do you prefer to receive standard news releases? OR, do you prefer having stories pitched to you first? Also, any preference on getting e-mail or snail mail. I'm just trying to do a little off-season research. Thanks for your help.

Mary
    RS125

15. John Ulrich

Are we talking about standard news releases or features here? If something is a news item, send a release, FAX to 909-245-6417 or e-mail to [email protected]. For a feature, I don't like to commit on the basis of a pitch letter because sometimes the finished article totally sucks and then the author is pissed when I reject it. So if you want to submit a feature or a first person/opinion article, write it up and mail in a hard copy and I'll look at it. If I like, I'll but it. If I don't, I won't.

JU

16. John Ulrich

That is, I'll buy it.

How do you go back and edit these posts, and how do you get those smilie things in a post?

JU

17. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

john, to edit..just click on the sheet-w/ pencil-icon above the post you want to edit, it takes you back into the editor. [​IMG]

to get the smilies, look to the left of your editor box and click where it says smilies legend...shows you what to type to get the right face [​IMG]

and thanks for joining in...

[This message has been edited by wrenn (edited 12-20-2000).]

18. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

ju:

also if you click on the face-&-question mark icon you can see more about the person who wrote the message.

unfortunately most don't fill this stuff in and post their meanderings under the protection of annonimity.... [​IMG] (i feel as you do, 'if it ain't got a name, it don't mean a thing'....) i kill me [​IMG]

19. John Ulrich

Wrenn

Hey, my brother Tom used to work for a company called Parker Hannefin I think, he designed control software for a missile, maybe called Pegasus? Do you work for the same company?

JU

20. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

john, its possible, the co. does make controls, but i work in hydraulic valve division...valves & manifolds for industrial/mobile equipment like cherry-pickers, i-i-i- mean man-lifts (couldn't resist) [​IMG]