1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Officer loses life chasing bike - biker faces possible manslaughter charges?

Discussion in 'General' started by xtest, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Funny, those roads have things called yards, playgrounds, schools, churches, etc. off of them. Trying to simplify things isn't going to change the reality of the situation. BTW, the highways weren't built for cars and bikes to go 120+ either.

2. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

:crackhead:

Inside those cars there are kids
    and if the rider of a bike that is breaking the law does kill some innocent kids in another car/van would it be the kids fault?

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Thank you, for someone else understanding my point.:up:

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

So I guess all those other cars on the highway are just empty with no loved ones or pets or anything in them. Interesting.

5. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

I cant say that I haven't broke the seed limit. I am man enough to know I was the one wrong and was responsable for any thing that went wrong while doing so.

Some people can only win a race on their bike if they are racing a mini van. If they go to the track they would get their asses handed to them by someone who knows what fast is and knows where to go fast. That is NOT on the street.:down:

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Some of you guys really amaze me. Here you are bitching about that poor, poor, motorcyclist being found guilty of causing the death of a man just trying to do his job. If he hadn't been speeding the officer wouldn't have been trying to stop him. You seem to forget that fact pretty easily. Yeah, I know, some of you are most likely some of the yo-yo's doing wheelies down the freeway at 100+ mph with your girlfriend on back but you're just having fun right? For those of us that have made motorcycling our lifelong hobby you are the people that give all motorcyclists a bad reputation. We have to fight for the right to keep riding without having stupid rules imposed on us because of the acts that the "stunters" and "loud pipes save lives" groups pull.
    Never forget that most police officers don't get the chance to deal with the average citizen a lot. They deal with the dregs of life on a daily basis and become somewhat hardened in their attitude towards lawbreakers. That's just the way it is. they're human just like we are and get tired of dealing with the idiots that think that speeding at 30 or 40 mph over the limit is "well within their skill level". Yeah, right.
    If you want to ride at 120 or 160 mph go to the track and give it hell. On the street, cool your jets.

7. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

They don't want to go to the track. They are required to wear a helmet there.

8. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Yep. the cop f*cked up, or whoever was the supervisor that night should have called him off, we may never know. But the fact is NONE of this would have happened if that guy hadn't been speeding. Yes, I feel for him too, no one wins with something like this (well, maybe some lawyer will).

I have a buddy who is an EMT and he said that even EMTs can have a tough time dealing with people who really need them. He said they train you to remember you are dealing with people when they are at their worst, perhaps the lowest point in their life. So I can only image what it must be like if people can be shitty to those helping them if you are instead trying to arrest them. Dealing with a$$holes all day probably makes you one I'd guess.... My dad always told me just remember they have a gun and you don't and usually you'll be fine... :D

9. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

so, hypothetical:

you're speeding. going 120-140 or so.

you unknowingly pass an officer and he decides to try to chase you down...

by the time he starts chasing you, you're waaaaaaaay (miles?) down the road.

the officer has an incident while in pursuit and dies.

you never saw the officer or even knew he was chasing you.

so:

were you evading?

are you guilty of murder/manslaughter?

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

but blah blah blah blah..... make excuses for those breaking the waaaaaah waaaaaah waaaaaaah waaaaaaaaah.

liberal retards.

11. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Good job! :up:

12. ceeco

ceeco Active Member

OK I have a hypothetical for you....

legal speed limit was just raised to 80 out here on west I-10. like most everyone your pushing the limit about 10-15% about 90 or so. Officer clocks you and decides to ticket you. Pulls a u-turn or tries to merge into traffic for pursuit and collides with another car killing himself and occupants of other car. Would it be just a "accident" or do you deserve to be charged with manslaughter. Keep in mind you are a criminal(speeding), aware of this, and technicaly on the run as soon as the officer decides to ticket you. Is this so diffrent from the cases being discussed here that it wouldn't/couldn't happen??

I'm not sure what the correct answer is but would like to hear some opinions.

13. snair

snair MOM #114

lesson to the turd that did it if you get caught suck it up like a man. dont cry or snivel like a bitch. another thing most cops dont even like to write cites as they the have to go to court on a day off. the only guys i know who write a lot of cites are motors that is what they are supposed to do is run traffic.

14. GSXAAARGH

GSXAAARGH Pilot

no breakin the law for you? or are ya too smart to get caught?

15. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

http://www.wftv.com/news/10514991/detail.html

The link above is a motorcycle crash that occured at 12:20 am Tuesday morning. The SUV pulled out in front of the motorcycle. The bike hit the SUV with enough force that it flipped the SUV over. I am not judging who is right or wrong, but it's very difficult to judge speed by headlights.

The rider died on scene (RIP), he was not wearing a helmet.

The driver sustained injuries but lived, only because the motorcycle collided on the drivers side passenger door. Had the motorcycle hit the drivers door I do not believe anyone would have survived.

16. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

If you start a chain of events that leads to the death of another person, you are culpable in that death.

If you drive your buddies to a bank and wait in the car while they rob it, you're guilty of bank robbery. If they kill someone in the bank (even if it wasn't in the plan), you're just as guilty as the ones in the bank.

The guy was speeding and reckless. Because of those actions, by him, he's culpable in events resulting from those actions. Including the death of that officer.

17. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Fine, but what is the level of culpability? And in the case of Carncross does it rise to the level of criminal culpability given the very significant errors in judgment and violation of policy made by the trooper? In other words, why does the wrecklessness of the biker trump the wrecklessness of the Trooper?

18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

but it would be okay if he was drinking....

19. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Level of culpability rests in the courts, as was demonstrated in this case. It's an easy trump Rodger, the Officer wasn't breaking the law. Officers speed and sometimes perform what would be deemed reckless driving in the performance of their duty. The PIT maneuver is a good example.

20. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

You're not really comparing apples to apples. In Mississippi fleeing or elduing in a motor vehicle is a felony, thus upping the stakes. So in your scenario a speeder is simply a misd. offender, where somebody actively fleeing the police is commiting a felony, which give officers more latitude.