1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do o-ring chains slow you down?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Tinfoil hat charly, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

i am as lazy as anyone so i love o-ring chains on my street bike: but for a race bike, does the o-ring chain absorb more power?

2. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

I do not use oring chains. They are not needed on vintage racebikes and they do not help.

3. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

The o-ring function is a maintenance related issue. They are slightly, albeit only very slightly, heavier. I can't imagine you could tell the performance difference. For me, the human air dam, there are other places to remove a lot more weight. The question then becomes one of cost. Why pay more for an o-ring chain when you'll wear out your vintage bike many times over before you wear out the chain? I change gearing so often on the BSA's that the chain comes off, gets washed and cleaned as a matter of course that the maintenance benefits don't exist.

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Will an O-ring chain slow you down? Absolutely yes, if somebody smacks you up side of the head with it! :D

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

There is what may be an old wive'sd tale that o-ring chains have more drag/friction because of the o-rings against the plates...it's not a weight question I don't think. THat said, I have no idea if there actaully is more frioction with them or not.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Don't help what? The only things they're supposed to do is last longer, and need adjustment lesds often. I'm pretty sure this would be the case regardless of the model year of the bike.

7. charles

charles The Transporter

The "O-ring" chain unfortunately drains power form the universe, so it should be ignored. Besides, the thought of all those small rubber rings being squashed and pressed is almost too much to bear...

8. Hughes Racing

Hughes Racing Hughes Racing #120

I've got an X-ring chain! Still less lubing and adjusting like an O-ring chain, but less friction.

9. Hughes Racing

Hughes Racing Hughes Racing #120

10. krypton7

krypton7 Well-Known Member

Carl, The days of you and your gang terrorizing the locals in the deep South should be over by now. You should have graduated from chain and knife fights to waterboarding and extraordinary rendition and secret CIA prisons. I suggest that you climb into you black helicopter and fly into the 21st century.

Charles, If the thought of those X rings and O rings being crushed and spun is too much to bear, then just reach down while riding and give them a reasuring petting.

I always thought that the O ring chain robbed power on the smaller engines, that a regular MX type chain was best for 60 horses or less.

Stu Carter

11. charles

charles The Transporter

Carl is now terrorizing people with sharp hawkbill knives, dont ask what he cuts up...I HAVE reached down to reassure my O-Ring chains, it was painful but necessary...still, I kept hearing the small, helpless O-rings screaming and
    shrieking, all the while, turning, turning around and around without lube...
    I couldn't take it anymore, I knew I had to switch to chains without small, helpless screaming rubber O-rings...now, I feel just peachy.:p