Galfer Superbike Line Torque Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by boganz45, Apr 19, 2006.

1. boganz45

boganz45 Member

Two quick questions on the Galfer SUPERBIKE lines.

1) What is the amount of torque to be applied to the silver bolt that screws into the caliper?

2) What is the amount of torque to be applied to the brass elbow's nut that then screws onto that silver bolt from the line itself?

Thanks,

2. vdub18t

vdub18t #97

My Galfer instructions read 15 ft/lbs for both (master cylinder and calipers). But I dont have a "brass elbow" thingy.

3. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

12ft/lbs on the SBK lines.

For best results, try posting your questions in the tech section. :)

4. boganz45

boganz45 Member

I am 100% sure that the torque of the banjo into the master is 12 ft. / lbs. and that the torque of the double ended stainless bolt into the caliper is also 12 ft. / lbs., but it is the brass elbow into that stainless bolt that I really need to know. I had read online and heard from some people that the brass elbow nut is to be torqued to 6.5 ft. / lbs. or so, however, when I called Galfer they told me 12 ft. / lbs. on everything, even the elbow. Well per their instructions (my lines did not come with any but I know what to do anyway - minus specific torque amounts), I used a 13 mm crow's foot wrench head 90 degrees to a clicking torque wrench set to 12 ft. / lbs. Well 12 ft. / lbs. was obviously the wrong amount of torque as the nut on the elbow bulged out (threaded too far on / too tight) and broke off, ruining the line. Now I have to get new lines because the asshole tech who works for Galfer does not even know the torque specs on one of the two types of lines they sell (one would assume they would know what they are talking about). I am going to try to get them to send me a new line but because of the whole "must be installed by a mechanic" clause I might be out of luck, which is bullshit, because installing these lines is cake, if only the installer knew the torque specs on the elbow. A mechanic would have done the same thing per their instructions. As a matter of fact, I did a search on these lines and found an MMI mechanic actually did this same thing after he, too, was told 12 ft. / lbs. Sorry for the dissertation but I am a slightly pissed off. Later,

5. boganz45

boganz45 Member

You have the regular stainless steel Sportbike lines, that use banjo bolts at the master and calipers, not the coated stainless steel Superbike lines, which use a banjo at the master and 90 degree brass elbows that bolt directly into the calipers for better fluid flow and feel. Later,

:beer:

6. boganz45

boganz45 Member

If any Mod wants to move this to the Tech section, please do so. Thanks,