1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Stroke Newb questions....

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by GSX®7-11, Apr 11, 2006.

1. GSX®7-11

GSX®7-11 Active Member

hey guys, my fiance and i are really wanting to get into racing. We've been to Roebling, and Recently to barber to help a friend who was doing an STT trackday.

My fiance bought just bought a cbr F2 track hoe, and now im wanting something myself. (we DO ride street already, btw...)

Anywho...Im not super-familiar with the valveless wonders of motorcycling (used to play with some 2-stroke quads, but thats about all.)

I have a few questions that maybe you guys can give me a hand with.

First off, are there any suggestions about a first 2strk bike?

- Maybe something a little older, cheaper, more reliable? (contradictory, i know...) Basicly are there some bikes that are more more 'newb friendly' 2 strks?

- Its said that 2strokes usually need to be rebuilt more often than the 4's... in a road racing application (i know this is really bike-dependent) are you constantly wrenching on the bike, or can you enjoy a few race/track days before major rebuilding?

It just seems like riding a 2 stroke would add even more to the incredible experience of riding roadbikes. I know they are a blast on quads and dirtbikes. Plus, its something different.

not to mention the cool factor! :bow:

:p anyways, thanks for any of your help guys. I know my questions are kind of on a broad spectrum, but maybe you can bear with me and help a lil. :up:

2. chas

chas Well-Known Member

It really depends on the bike as to how much work you will need to do on it weekend after weekend. A GP bike such as a Honda RS250 or Yamaha TZ250 will require more "wrenching" over a street based 2 stroke (Honda NSR250, Yamaha TZR250, Aprilia RS250).

Of course a street based 2 stroke's work friendly reputation also depends on the state of tune of that street bike. If you pick up a near stock Aprilia RS250 cup bike your time spent enjoying the track riding will go way beyond the time you spend with the top ends off measuring free play and deck height.

I have personally done near 35-40 track/race days (not weekends, days) on a single NSR250 top end. By the end of the season it was ready, as power was down, but it wasn't close to seizing on me. A GP Bike your good for 350 or so miles before your doing a top end.

Cost savings also can be had by tires, chains, brake pads, fuel, oil and the list goes on. Also the street 2-strokes are a little less finiky with jetting. Their operating range is a little wider so you can get away with not re-jetting a couple times a day if you are lucky.

3. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

If you are not super heavy try a RS125 or TZ125. Mega fun. TZ250 or Honda RS250 are alot of fun as well, but cost more and takes twice as long to work on. If you dont feel like doing much wrenching an aprillia RS250 is a great bike, never ridden one, but seems like they are a blast.

Cost used will range from 2k to 10k for these bikes (2k older TZ125 - 10K for a 2000+ TZ250). Cant go wrong with any of these bikes, $ per fun factor is amazing.

4. motopix

motopix Well-Known Member

Start out with an Aprilia. One in good shape with a decent selection of spares should run about 3.5-4.5k and last you a whole season of racing and a season or two of trackdays. They are slightly harder to work on then the GP bikes (Rs125/250, Yam125/250) but much cheaper overall.

Then decide if you want to take the plunge into a GP bike.

5. Junior33

Junior33 New Member

everyone seems to think that 2-strokes are much less reliable than 4's, but that's not necessarily the case.

look at a 2-stroke GP machine, with a top-end life of 350 miles or so, now compare that to a 4-stroke purpose built race engien and compare them, if any idfference, the 2-stroke will have the edge as far as durability goes, and when you do rebuild it, it's less work to R&R an entire top-end in a 2-stroke than it is to adjust teh damned valves in a diesel (2-stroker slang for 4-stroke).

to put it in better perspective, compare a banshee to a warrior (quads, hopefully you're pretty familiar) now if they're puttered around and not really flogged... the warrior will likely outlast the shee yes? now go out and run them both wide open all day, abuse the crap out of them, which one will fold first? it's not gonna be the super simple banshee.

in lamens terms, 2-strokes wear faster, but are less susceptible to catastrophic failure, whereas 4-strokes hardly wear at all, but are very susceptible to damage from abuse.

now if you want a simple riding experience without twirling many spanners, an RZ350 would be a good place to start, or a TZR, RGV, aprillia RS, etc. These are all streetbikes, essentially the same as a diesel, but with a 2-stroke motor.

switch over the a TZ250, or a honda RS250 tho, and now you're talking about a lean and mean, purpose built race bike, it was built from the ground up to go around a track, that's it. EVERYTHING is adjustable, it's basicly like being able to go to your local dealership and buy an F1 car. Wicked fast in the right hands, completely unmanagable in the wrong ones.

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Damn... that's my problem! Where can I get a set of "right hands", as I think my bike came with the "wrong ones". ;)

7. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

I agree with Alex. Get a 95 or newer Honda RS125, or a '94 or newer Yamaha TZ125, and have a ball! They are the easiest thing in the world to work on (top end rebuild takes an hour if you are being very careful), tires last a long time, they crash very well, as in everything is easily replaced. Expect to pay anywheere from $2500 to $6000 for a decent bike with good spares. Very easy to maneuver in your pit or garage too, at only 160#!:rock:

8. D4DR racing

D4DR racing Well-Known Member

Can you define super heavy? I'm looking to get into two-stroke nirvana and would like to start with a 125 but have been wondering if I'm too big for one at 180.

9. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

180 won't be a problem. You might find it a bit cramped if you are fairly tall though, but that is easily fixed with a different seat and rearsets. Unfortunately, I am up around 175, and the bike has no trouble hauling me around. I can blow past the Aprilia 250s too by the way!

10. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

11. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

12. GSX®7-11

GSX®7-11 Active Member

Thanks for all of the input guys, and especially the websites!

13. Lee57

Lee57 Well-Known Member

seems like it might be time to change that username :beer: