1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this pass tech

Discussion in 'General' started by red54, Feb 5, 2006.

1. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

I was hoping to keep the headlight on the 04 gsxr 600 I just got. OPP makes race glass that allows you to retain the OEM headlight. If I tape it over with some perforated tape (like the track day number plates planet superbike or whomever sells) Will I be able to keep the headlight and pass race tech? Wera rulebook says glass headlights must be removed, but I dont believe its glass, plus its taped over. Any concrete evidence you can do the perforated number plates to retain the headlight?
    Also, no turn signals, not even taped, correct?

2. yoshinewmn

yoshinewmn white & nerdy

just take it out or use duct tape

3. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

how would I go about taking it out or duct taping over it if I need a big Yellow number plate in the front? If I duct tape over it and put a number plate on, I would have to take it off again if I were going to ride it on the street. That would get expensive in plates/numbers. If I have to take it out and put it in every so often that becomes a pain in the butt too. Any of you guys race your street bike? I am trying to avoid buying a seperate street bike, I know its ideal but I would rather use that money for tires and things instead of a payment and insurance.

4. Terry Hesticle

Terry Hesticle Well-Known Member

Unplug the bulb and use yellow tape to cover the light and that makes your plate too. One or two rolls of tape should last the season.

5. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

Thanks, now how long after doing the wera class and paying for a provisional novice license does it take to be assigned a number? Just so I know I will have one in time for that first race. Do they sell some at the races?

6. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

they sell yellow duct tape too

7. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

If you crash & break said headlight you will pay more $$ replacing it. Take it out

9. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

so draw the part of the number on the tape witha black marker... I should only be a portion of 1 digit

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

another point, whether or not the tape is legal for street use.
    if that's not a concern for you, consider that it may be your life.

the tape will cut your headlight's luminosity by 65%.
    no dipshit in his hotrod turning into your path will be lying when he says, "i didn't see him."
    it happened to me during a lunchtime ride. fortunately, i expected it and avoided the imminent crunch.
    getting back to work, i threw the ol' light machine in front of the bike...4,000 lums.
    yanked the tape...11,000 lums.

you mentioned race glass.
    why not just buy it w/o the light cut-out, get a fairing bracket and swap the stuff whenever you go to the track...
    for me, i thought that would be do-able. i never went back to the street, tho'.
    anyone need cherry bodywork for an '01 996S?:D

11. gixxerjosh

gixxerjosh Captain America's Flunky

I agree with that! It would be cheaper to buy some aftermarket body work from HOTBODIES then to crash and have to replace your stock body work. As everyone that has been doing this sport for a while knows....chances of crashing are extreme, just like the sport. I suggest buying a race bodywork and switching back and forth. I did it for my first season. An OEM headlight costs almost as much as a full set of race plastics. Good Luck

12. atspeed

atspeed Praying Member

Non endurance racing bikes don't have no stinking headlight :D

It is not worth the extra cost of said headlight to race with it

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you put a light on the front of your race bike and then proceed to ride faster than the speed of light.

Does you headlight go out?

14. TZRaceR6

TZRaceR6 Well-Known Member

No. I'm no physicist, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

15. kylbie

kylbie Well-Known Member

why not just get a trackday upper, but dont u have a bellypan too?? just get track plastics and mount a removeable headlight... i see guys all time in the mtns with bikes like this...

16. red54

red54 Well-Known Member

So where would I find a dot headlight that I can put in the in the front of the race glass, something small but legal, and hopefully very bright. Any tips on where to get one and how to mount/connect it?

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

It's a BS question...we don't know which direction the treadmill is going!

:D

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Good one :up: :beer:

19. kylbie

kylbie Well-Known Member

go to walmart and get a damn foglight... make a custom mount that you can take on and off of the bike whenever you want. you would just be using this as a streetlight, then remove it for track riding... or just get a different set of plastics.... or a track bike