Slowing Down Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by ronin1052, Feb 23, 2024.

1. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

As I was a teen in the early '80s, I have a fondness for the bikes of that era.
    My current vintage stable:
    '80 GS1100E, '84 ZX900A Ninja, '84 VF500F Mini-Ceptor.
    I love riding these old bikes - but one must accept them for what they are, and understand their inherent limitations.

As has often been the case, engine tech far outpaced suspension & braking development.
    These 3 all have wooden-feeling brakes that kinda sorta work.
    GS1100 & Ninja 900 have single-pot calipers, VF has twin-pots hamstrung by the TRAC anti-dive system.

Can any of the vintage types suggest brake pad(s) that get the best out of these archaic calipers?
    Pad wear is not a concern, as they don't get a lot of miles annually.
    Modding is not an option - that's not what these bikes are about.

MANY moons ago, I had organic Ferodo 2453 pads on my '80 GS750E, as those were the hot ticket BITD.
    They actually worked pretty good, but I doubt they are still available.

Just hoping I can perhaps get these dinosaurs slowing with a bit more alacrity.
    Any tips/info is appreciated!

2. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

No info on pads but maybe cut your losses and sell me the VF500?

3. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Ha!

VF500F is Mrs. Ronin's ride - It's not going anywhere.
    Fun little bike!
    Currently in the process of rebuilding/restoring a Fox Twin Clicker (remember those?) for it.

Mike Fennell likes this.
  4. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

The VF was my first bike. First race bike too. I had a Fox Twin Clicker on it and a Hindle 4into1.

A clean one, identical to mine, went through Iconic last week for $3k.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got a 77 GS750, first year 2 valve that I went thru, single front disc. A braided line helps, as far as pads, I'm a PU dealer and at the time all they carried for pads that fit it were Tufstop's. They're a fairly soft organic pad that work ok. I can check on availability tomorrow when I'm in the shop if you want.

6. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Back in the day I ran EBC or SBS on the miniceptors. I think EBC only had one compound back then and the same for SBS. Is SBS still around?

7. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Could you upgrade the brake system with newer calipers that fit your bike??? Then you could use newer pad materials and have a much more robust braking system.

I run 2000-2001 Yamaha R1 "blue dot" brake system (lever, resovoir, lines, calipers, etc) on my 87 FZR750RT track toy.