MotoAmerica | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by 418, Sep 24, 2023.

1. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you ain’t McWilliams age yet so you’re good! Get on it man!

I’ve actually offered to help a few guys that got me started run the Hooligan class at a track of their choice…

These guys were instrumental in my early years and crewed for me in my Daytona 200s over the years… so from homemade trailers to semis they’ve been there… so I figured giving them the “pro” experience on a hooligan will be bucket list level for them… they’re all nervous and losing weight and looking for bikes… it’s fun for us all as we relive our youth laughing and teasing like old times…

AndrewG725, E Reed and A. Barrister like this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the kind words. I definitely tried to make a difference in the sport and especially for riders. I never agreed with the secretive workings of the paddock and wanted an up front, clear path to quantify our results, be recognized, and appreciated for them properly. That’s why I still have an open source stance on all of my experiences. I want our sport to achieve greatness.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Let's just face the cold, hard truth. Until kids start riding CB125's to school, our fan base is aging out. Unfortunately, neither those kids nor the commuter bikes exist in modern day America. Road racing will always exist on the fringes. Just enjoy it while you can.

4. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Apparently Rocco is testing a bagger this weekend.

AndrewG725 and 418 like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

I think this obesession with bigger is better is also a shitty objective. I would rather see a grid of guys that want to be there for the love of the sport than a grid full of guys being there just because they are getting paid. How many corporate sponsors do you guys want before the sport becomes a shadow of it former self?

There is guys from the "golden years" that made bank and fucked off after losing their well paid ride and were never heard from again. And then there is guys like Hayes, Yates fam, Ru$$ell and the like, that show up just because they can't help themselves and fucking love it. I know which ones I would rather watch and have leading the sport.

Pride & Joy, Skter505 and 27 like this.
  6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

and there it is… I was in a meeting with the “leaders” of the sport and ask the most
    Important questions… including “why” they were doing it… while they were honest… it was the wrong answer….. I’d already caught them with their pants down trying to backdoor a partner…

we need more racers that love it not bored ones that are entertaining a sugar daddy

AndrewG725 likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

And how many of those who hung it up did so because the bullshit they needed to endure just to turn a wheel in anger took any joy they got from racing away?

AndrewG725, Robin172 and 27 like this.
  9. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

While I'm glad he's out there turning laps, and maybe getting a look at a ride...I fucking hate that I'm not hearing anything about SS/STK 1000/SBK for him.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

How are all these passionate people going to afford to race when there isn't any money coming in?

AndrewG725 and YamahaRick like this.
  11. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

For the eleventy billionth time, make stock 1000 bikes the leading class and fields will double and racing will get tighter. Follow that with marketing the riders better. Nascar didn't own the market because the farm tractors they were racing were leading edge tech.

12. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Is your opinion based on the reduced cost of building a sstk1000 bike compared to a superbike?

13. L1MTD

L1MTD Well-Known Member

1000% this.

AndrewG725 likes this.
  14. L1MTD

L1MTD Well-Known Member

upload_2023-12-17_10-8-21.gif

Gino230 likes this.
  15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Yes. The average fan doesn't know the difference between a superbike and stock 1000 bike. I'd bet most couldn't tell the difference between a supersport and superbike. What they all can see is full field with riders mixing it up and leaning on each other. Make the classes more affordable and they will grow. Up until very recently, Napcar was simple tube frames with 5 lug steel wheels. None of the exotic, expensive center knock off hubs and such.

AndrewG725, Namarow and L1MTD like this.
  16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

DMG went with a more stock 1000cc “superbike” and between that, some other shit classes, some really stupid rules it almost killed the series.

and now for a tangent rant: flipping around espn last night and on espn2 they were showing the Microsoft world excel championship. Freakin’ excel!

Namarow likes this.
  17. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Back in the old AMA Superbike glory days of unobtainium factory parts maybe, but not now with all the cost control measures in place. I don't think people realize how many restrictions are in place for superbikes. Cranks, rods, pistons, throttle bodies are all stock. Go to the Moto America competitor page and open up the excel spreadsheet showing all the homologated parts (suspension, electronics, engine parts, etc) with the price caps. If you look at the budget of running a full season in superbike, the increase in the cost of a superbike (x2 since you can now have a backup bike) over a sstk1000 bike is a relatively small part of the budget. Diesel fuel, rig insurance, tires, salary, lodging, travel, meals, etc. The cost of the logistics is crazy and that doesn't change no matter what bike you race.

AndrewG725, Gino230, Waterboy and 3 others like this.
  19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

So kill off stock 1000...

20. Namarow

Namarow Well-Known Member

Good dramas, comedy that kind of thing. Interesting scripts. I had interest re a soap, good money , steady, but it would have been painful!

27 likes this.