Garage Time Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by cpettit, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

^^Helluva job!!^^ :beer:

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yea man that looks great......now fill it with jewelry!

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thanks! That is the Apprentice tool chest. I have another one of my Dad's that's a bit larger. I'll redo that one at some time as well.

4. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

My wife would love that idea!!!

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Great job on the Gerstner! Would love to find an old one in good condition someday.

I have not had much garage time the past month and a half, but I finally finished my coal forge, and side draft hood after chipping away here and there, and got them setup in the new smithy shed in the backyard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First fire in the new home. Works great.

Still need to move the anvil, and all the other tools in here, but I feel like I'm finally making progress. Your eyes are correct, but it's the chimney that is plumb. The entire shed itself is on a massive tilt down from front to back lol. Quick check with the level says it's just over 3" over 24" slope.....

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

That's bad ass

If you ever get to Detroit area I have an old anvil that's been sitting under my shop bench as long as I've been there ....all yours, but I sure as hell am not shipping it

John Branch and Boman Forklift like this.
  7. Dan Dubeau

Thanks. Time to plan the family vacation to the Detroit area for next summer :D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  8. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That's totally to code...

Dan Dubeau and Banditracer like this.
  9. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

RRP, cse and pickled egg like this.
  10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Made some inner fender covers for my replacement truck. I put them on my previous F150 and it kept the engine bay alot cleaner.
    IMG_3424.JPG IMG_3425.JPG

11. Dan Dubeau

I went to college for Mech Eng Tech. 1st job was a mechanical designer, then I gradually moved through a few departments until I was out on the floor. Now I get to do it all from design, to CNC programming, to running the machines and manual machining/grinding too. The stuff I do at home is all hobby stuff, and purely because I like building stuff. My latest foray into blacksmithing is just another facet of that. I'm pretty much self taught from Books, youtube, forums, and other sites on the net.

John Branch likes this.
  12. Dan Dubeau

Been working on this guy for the last couple days here and there.
    [​IMG]

13. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Easing into winter project time. I finally nutted up and rented a garage for one of my cars so I have a proper workspace again. The RS250 has a Zeeltronic igntion/powervalve controller to install, then I can bring it to @SpeedWerks Racing so I can pay Steve to tell me how retarded I am.

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago, a friend gave me a few pieces of track bodywork from his street-converted MK1 Cup bike and, coincidentally, my local track group announced a small bike open track day next year, which sounds like a blast. I don't know what the 'small bike' cut-off will be but this thing will be a shark among RC390/Ninja 400 minnows, even with me on it. Hoping for 65hp at the wheel.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Nice looking 2 stroke. Looks like a 360 over there? I still think I want to own a Ferrari/Lambo/McLaren someday, just not sure if I will ever jump into the deep end and pay for that education? How much does it cost to rent a garage in Jersey per month, and is that close to Manhattan? I'm asking because my son lives in Manhattan and I think he said it would cost him around $800-1200 a month to park a car in the city. So his M5 stays in my garage out here.

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Hey,
    I own a condo in Fort Lee NJ and rent out the1 car garage separately. The guy currently in there is month to month. We also own a 6000 sqft warehouse in Bergenfield NJ (4 miles from the GWB) with shop/garage space.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

How much would a stall rent for? He has only raced and ridden in the dirt, but he was thinking about getting a license and having a street bike in the city, but once again no where to park it.

Feel free to PM me, if that’s better. Thank you

17. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

[QUOTE=" We also own a 6000 sqft warehouse in Bergenfield NJ (4 miles from the GWB) with shop/garage space.[/QUOTE]
    There's a lot of guy's/gal's (Racers, Trackday, Collectors and Enthusiast's with no garage space in NY/NJ)
    They would pay good money for a secure 'garage share' spot in that area.

18. John Branch

John Branch 90125

19. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

2001 360 I've had for 13 years. A friend of mine just sold his Elise and bought this car: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-360-modena-64/. PPI revealed two leaking shocks that are not rebuildable. Quote was $18k! Fortunately, enough 360s have been built (~10k) that there's a cottage industry of small shops performing fixes for various things. When winter comes (what passes for 'winter' in the Bay Area), he's going to ship them to somewhere in Europe (Denmark?) where theres's a shop who can handle it.

I'm paying $200/mo for a 10X20 space. I figured I could pay that for the rest of my life and still not approach the cost of another garage on my property. It's a gated facility but no climate control or power. It's not close to Manhattan either. Howell, NJ, a 90min drive from the Lincoln Tunnel. I live in Middletown, which is a 45 minute ferry ride. It looked like similar garages were closer to $300 and the spot I used is owned by a friend's family. Might as well put money in their pocket.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. Mike Fennell

Mike Fennell Never Was

Random: RS Motorsports, the best place in the country for Lotus Esprit work, is in Closter, around the corner from your shop. He owns (owned? haven't spoken in a while) an ex-Jimmy Adamo Cagiva 500 GP bike. There's a pretty good exotic shop in Tenafly too.