One more step to extinction

Discussion in 'General' started by YoshiHNS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Anyone care to drive my 5-speed crash-box with a heavy-duty Barnett in a Trans-Am?
    She takes a toll on your left calf if you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper shit but other than that it rips.

BigBird likes this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

what was that in Sean? The no synchro? Seems like a few of the bigger 4 spd trucks had to be stopped before going into 1st but I don’t remember a 3 spd that way…

I drove a bunch of weird and rigged and or broken stuff without direction, like that VW auto/stick we were talking about a few months ago, and wouldn’t have known what was right…

3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

certainly user error… ran it out of oil or water….’ran it straight instead of slant mode on an incline… something… :Poke::dead:

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Been so long I don't remember. It was in a 66 dodge van and sat between the front seats. Rebuilding it was easy peasy.

5. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I have a beater 2003 mustang that's a 5 speed V6. It's just an extra I need to get rid of.

When I get in it and chirp the tires while shifting I get all giddy.

27 and BigBird like this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’m not a Mopar guy but that thing was a solid unit for sure….

7. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m with you OP, I don’t like auto’s. Boring
    as hell and I don’t like the way power is transmitted to the ground. I can control that with a stick.

When I move out of the city in the next year or so, I’d like to add a 3/4 ton truck to go with my F150. Instead of dumping $75k into a new truck, I think I’ll go backwards. Either a 7.3 diesel F250 with a stick, or a Dodge 2500 Cummins with a stick.

Low mileage, rust free versions are rare, but can be found in the Western states. They command top dollar, but will still be cheaper than a new truck.

tony 340 and long path/road like this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Of course that makes sense from an owner side... as a driver I dont understand why you wouldn't test with a manual? Its not that hard...
    It cost me $800 to get my CDL when you could take the written exam then rent a truck for when you scheduled your road test.

tony 340 likes this.
  9. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

In 1962, Chrysler introduced a starter incorporating a geartrain between the motor and the drive shaft. The motor shaft included integrally cut gear teeth forming a pinion that meshes with a larger adjacent driven gear to provide a gear reduction ratio of 3.75:1. This permitted the use of a higher-speed, lower-current, lighter and more compact motor assembly while increasing cranking torque.[9] Variants of this starter design were used on most rear- and four-wheel-drive vehicles produced by Chrysler Corporation from 1962 through 1987. It makes a unique, distinct sound when cranking the engine, which led to it being nicknamed the "Highland Park Hummingbird"—a reference to Chrysler's headquarters in Highland Park, Michigan.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MQFnoECA8QAQ&usg=AOvVaw384zLUEIn9z8MsbQW8p-Ff

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Still a case by case basis for me. I love a manual and that's what I buy for me. I'll give the old slush box in the IS-F props for doing a reasonable non-race track like job with the paddles. If I'm making a 400 mile highway run the cushy slushbox Volvo it is...

If I had to drive in mid-town Atanta traffic on a daily basis there would be no third pedal in what I am driving but I don't so the manuals will stay until the knees give up.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

The only internal work to a slant six I’ve ever done was a valve job in a 62 (I think) Valiant that burned a valve.

That’s one heavy fucking head to fling around a bench.

12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

so much easier than googling myself…. I know the starters well as I literally grew up in a junk yard but it’d be unlikely I’d have found the connection of the geography you referenced :moon:

damn uppity Detroiters and shit :D

A. Barrister likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a body around one that outlived the engine either…

14. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I haven't found one listed yet. Read a comment that all manuals for 2023 had to be customer ordered.

I'd love to, but no one else makes an AWD hatch in stick. Hopefully they lose a bunch of WRX guys to the Corolla GR since they decided to ditch the WRX hatch, because.

For trucks and SUVs, automatics are really nice. It's a great application. Don't have to worry about up/down shifts when towing. Easy to control speed when reversing into a dock for a delivery. Backing up a trailer would be a bigger PITA in a stick. But this is a daily beater, not the shop truck. I wanna have some more fun and forget I'm driving something that only has 100 hp with the AC running.
    Might have to keep an eye out for that Sportwagon. Sounds like more space than I have now, and better mpgs.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Golf R AWD manual. But this is the last year

16. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

....and any color you want, as long as it's black.

17. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

white wheels would look wicked !

18. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

Here is what is see you all competing individuals.... ford chevy dodge Yamaha suzuki Honda all competing sometimes just take care of what ya got and it'll get you there... inferior situations 100% yet all competitive....all to the individual of what? how ? and why,...you take care of that situation when it happens

19. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I agree. I had a 03 with the 6 speed and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t miss it.
    Twin sticks are a blast to drive as long as you don’t get both gearboxes in neutral at the same time. Well worth learning. It’s a lost art for sure.

buzz-06 likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I was young and in shape. I could carry a bare Checy small block across the shop. That slant six head was a futhermucker.

Vann used to breay clutch rods. Long ass SOB ran from drivers feet to the bell housing of the six. IIRC the thing was damn near 48" long.