One more step to extinction

Discussion in 'General' started by YoshiHNS, Sep 26, 2023.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, they almost all sucked. Pain in the ass to drive. More modern stuff is just better and the new autos are better than a manual. Life moves on, looking back at the old sucky stuff with nostalgia is cute but useless.

27 likes this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I can smell the nicotine/vinyl from here... just need that whirly sound the starter made... hehe

pickled egg likes this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I bought my Fit. I really wanted a boring little gas miser for daily commuting and was about 95% settled on a prius until the wife got a hybrid sienna. BORING. I started looking at Mini's but settled on the Fit with a 6spd. Fun little car, and very cheap to drive.

YoshiHNS, BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. 27

27 Well-Known Member

For sure, let anyone that’s too stuck in it try to model T or even an A for a spin…. I don’t remember what half the knobs and levers did but it was cool to watch my grandpa get excited about it a few times a year…. Of course he drove new Lincolns when he actually wanted to go somewhere:D

ToofPic likes this.
  5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

the gear reduction starter… used to drive me nuts whenever a Mopar had the wrong starter sounds on TV

6. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Kick myself every day for getting rid of my 2017 3/4 ram with a cummins and a 6speed… but times change and I no longer had use for a vehicle that could tow like that. I do enjoy road tests at work in the 10speed trucks, the automatics are boring. One of these days I’ll find an old twin stick Mack and give that a try.

AC1108 and ToofPic like this.
  7. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

By wrong sounds, you mean the sound of them actually running?

ChemGuy likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I *almost* asked for the key…

But I’m in the market for a econobox winter beater. A classic weighing half what it did when manufactured due to huge flakes of rust falling off wouldn’t fit that bill. ;)

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Ha!

Try and kill a slant six. I dare ya. I double dare you, motherfucker! :crackup:

27 likes this.
  10. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

We had a super 10 at Coke.I jumped in it one day to deliver,and immediately took that sumbich back to the yard.I was literally doing math in my head,and stopping traffic on Atlanta hwy.If you missed a shift,you pretty much had to start over from the bottom.You made wto shifts,and one splitter click,and one clutch pump for all that shit.I get a headache just remembering it.

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

a good racing buddy just yesterday said we were these guys… he got pissed when I reminded him that I have great hair :D and the muppets sucked

ToofPic likes this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup:

Had a buddy with a Superbee and me being a Pontiac freak so we were the odd guys out for the normal Chevy/Ford muscle car runners….

funniest not funny thing happened to him as he just finished a new 440 6 pack and first cruise across town he rapped the throttle open Rev tuning and the linkage stuck wide open… no hood and him flying out his door and slammed the butterflies shut to hear the spun rod bearing “Cladder knock knock cladder” he sat in that thing all night trying to be cool…. His name was Rod(ney) and he was forever Hot Rod, Spun Rod, loose Rod, and the best one that caused it all Linkage Rod :crackup:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

You mean they replaced the sound of the Highland Park Hummingbird???

14. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

My 2019 Sprinter was/is my first ever automatic vehicle, and I gotta say...mannnn they're nice. I should have gotten one years ago. :crackup:

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Highland Park a big Mopar plant or something? You thumb dudes have your own Michigan vocabulary remember…. I only visited after I got adopted by the west coasters from the 90s on…

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

not at all. went back to a manual and it was the best thing i could have done mentally. driving an automatic is mind numbing

I also picked up a project Miata in manual to make a track car and leave the nice cars at home. Manual is where it's at.

Boman Forklift and YoshiHNS like this.
  17. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Been driving since 1982 and have yet to own anything but a manual transmission car as my daily driver. My wife has had autos, but I have yet to cave. It's why I am driving a 12-year-old Audi A5 6-speed into the ground.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's cool but weird to me, a manual (other than three on the tree no synchro for first) has never taken me any more thought than an auto. My body just does what it needs to to make the vehicle I'm in go where I want it to, never had to think about switching to a bike either. Even going to a euro kia minivan with a shifter up in the dash took no thought.

I will say tho if I'm in a manual I haven't driven before I may have to look to find reverse.

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

From a supply chain standpoint it makes sense.....why make 2 products when I can make just 1

I signed on a new Pete last week and manual is still an option on the new ones.

I opted for the auto because in Mich if you don't test on a stick you have "automatic only" on your license

I have a hard enough time finding drivers under 400lbs, so I figured the automatic gave me more hiring options.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I've done it....been over 4 decades ago, but it can be done.