Anyone tried Avgas, 100LL?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by William Schneider, Aug 16, 2023.

1. William Schneider

William Schneider Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried tuning their high compression engine with avgas, 100LL? Any issues? Feedback?

It's $5.75 at my local airport, so it would be a much cheaper alternative to the 110 race gas I've been getting.

Thanks,
    Will

2. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

I've been running it in my TZ, lawn equipment and dirt bikes for years. No noticable loss of HP. Do a search...there are few threads about it.

3. pro69ss

pro69ss Well-Known Member

I used to run it in high compression street cars . Lot cheaper than cam 2 if 100 octane is all that’s needed . Make sure you have no catalytic converters for LL

4. Jeveritt

Jeveritt Well-Known Member

Don't expect any real HP advantage, but I believe 100ll is more consistent and stable than regular pump gas and contains no ethanol. It will foul a 02 sensor with the lead content which can be more or less than some leaded race fuels depending on which one. I would run it in a variety of bikes and lawn equipment until I moved to a place that had consistent nonethanol fuel at the pump

William Schneider likes this.
  5. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The only problem with neat Avgas is that it has a "slow" burn. It's better mixed with non ethanol pump fuel or the unleaded race fuel at most tracks.

tophyr and William Schneider like this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

There was a humorous thread here a while back about a guy trying to tune for it because his bike was running like shit. IIRC, he switched to a real race fuel and all his problems went away.

Gino230, tophyr and William Schneider like this.
  7. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I run it in my 2stroker as well as my racebikes typically cut 50/50 with 90 efree

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ how does that work out? tuning wise and whatnot. The only ethanol free around me is 90 and wondering if something like AV fuel would be a halfway decent octane assist.

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

100LL is designed for engines running between 2k-3k rpm. Running it in an engine designed for 10k+ rpm is likely to cause you a lot of trouble trying to time it correctly.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have run it on my old school. 01 R1 and 87 FZR750R race bike.
    No noticeable difference or improvements in performance... but I like the non-ethanal and added lubrication of the (LL) low lead.
    I ran it on my lawn mowers for a while....
    *** I noticed my mowers were getting harder to start when I run it in them.
    So I switched them back to pump gas ***
    But my race bikes start just fine with it.