School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

It feels like I make this post every year in this thread. Mostly for my own sanity.

Almost everything being described here is gambling, not investing. Bernie Madoff went to prison over trying to provide about a 10% annual return. He couldn’t do it year after year. Warren Buffet bet the entire hedge fund industry that they couldn’t beat the S&P index over time. He was right.

If you could consistently make 15% per year in the markets it wouldn’t take long for you to be the richest person in the world. EVERYONE would pay you to invest for them.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I am riding some single stock gambles I made a couple years ago to either black ink or zero. But from now on its index funds, ETF's and mutuals for this guy.

Unless some of you have a hot tip you got at the dog track. Then I'm all in...:D

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Pussy. :D

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Agreed for the 401k stuff and the Edward Jones account that I can't close just yet.

My stuff I still pick my own, though. Right or wrong... (or not right yet!)

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

thanks to whoever said to get in on rivn, i thought bout it and made sense

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You're welcome. Now, get out.

8. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

why?

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I thought about it but was licking my wounds from a couple other picks.

If you remember, tell me when to get out of BABA. :)

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah I'm diggin my RIVN @ $12.30 avg. right now :D

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

So you can join me in buying low again in a few months. I don't think that stock is out of the woods just yet.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I did. You ignored me. :) You could have bought it again a lot lower. Now you might as well hang on.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

lololol

14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

I believe it but i hate selling under a year. Im definitely keeping tabs on it

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

ugh im still so in the dumps

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Same here... I'm 100% sure that short term RIVN will not sustain it's current performance, but gonna let it ride until at least a year. TSLA on the other hand... will also continue to have its dips but is way more likely to be around and thriving in the long term.

sanee likes this.
  17. Tristan

Are we investing twins? I'm down 56% on BABA

18. Tristan

Ya know what's really crazy- in the 3 or so years I've been playing with this shit and making some STUPID moves I've done WAY better than the guy that's managed my IRA for 30+ years. Love the guy, but the 1.5% or so fees on top of lackluster performance have me close to firing him. If I end up doing so, I'll go with a couple ETF's in that account and keep the riskier stuff in my non-retirement Etrade. I think the problem is I'm a tiny fish compared to most of his clients and he applies the same strategy to everyone- basically blue chip dividend stocks. This just started 2-3 years ago, before that he had me in some way more spicy tech and med funds that did pretty damn well. At this point I'm at least 7-8 years from retiring, IMHO too early to be super conservative.

Boman Forklift and HPPT like this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I need rivn to double 2 or 3 time to be back in the black. FML.

all my Biden Harris is shoving elctric cars down our throats stocks are miserably red. I hope whomever gets picked next has friends who like these stocks so I can get back to black ink.

20. Tristan

I wonder how much Amazon is tied to RIVN beyond their initial investment... if the 'lectric vans work out for Amazon I can't see how RIVN won't benefit in a huge way, directly or indirectly.